Whats the Right Thing to Do

blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 106 Deckhand
So I have a question. I caught an undersize Redfish that swallowed the hook. I cut the line as deep as I could, placed the fish in the water waited until it was ready to go and let him swim off. This made me think what if I was to catch a fish that is undersized and when I take it off the hook it doesn't revive? How long do you spend attempting to revive the fish? Do you just let it float off? Do you keep it? I want to be the most responsible fisherman as possible so thought I would ask for others opinion. Thank you in advance for any input.

Replies

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,976 Captain
    You have to say bye bye and watch it float away.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,717 Admiral
    So I have a question. I caught an undersize Redfish that swallowed the hook. I cut the line as deep as I could, placed the fish in the water waited until it was ready to go and let him swim off. This made me think what if I was to catch a fish that is undersized and when I take it off the hook it doesn't revive? How long do you spend attempting to revive the fish? Do you just let it float off? Do you keep it? I want to be the most responsible fisherman as possible so thought I would ask for others opinion. Thank you in advance for any input.

To me letting it float is willful and wanton wasting of game, but that is what the law requires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,769 Admiral
    Done it with several undersized trout. I try and revive em, but they just go belly up and float off. I did see one come back to life and swim off. so that was good.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,877 Captain
    What they said
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,292 Admiral
    Something will eat it, crabs, flipper, sharks, snook jewfish. Circle of life.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Thank you all for your response. I was pretty sure that letting them go belly up was the right answer. I hate that it would be a waste of meat, but as CPR says something will eat it. I understand that if they would make exceptions some folks would just claim it was dead and they couldn't revive it just to take it home.
  • XafXaf Posts: 978 Officer
    See it all the time offshore with slightly under size or out of season grouper and red snapper. Seems like a terrible waste but like others have said that's the law.
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    Carry a gallon ziplock bag of premade ceviche veggies and a container of lemon/ lime juice. Filet and release in to a good lunch... The law allows people to survive (aka) eat the resources for sustenance... Be cool and discreet!! Fu#k the crabs..
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,147 Officer
    Cut the line and let them go. You would be shocked at what fish can go through and still thrive.
    red.jpg 10.5K
  • blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Thank you all for the responses.
  • voltmanvoltman Posts: 128 Deckhand
    Thank you all for the responses.

just imagine if it were legal to harvest a fish that died while catching and releasing..?????
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,799 Captain
    If the fish swallowed the hook and it obviously isn't going to live it is better to kill it, remove the hook and then toss it. Not good for a pelican or another fish to ingest the hook.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,877 Captain
    conchydong wrote: »
    If the fish swallowed the hook and it obviously isn't going to live it is better to kill it, remove the hook and then toss it. Not good for a pelican or another fish to ingest the hook.

I wouldn't recommend this option. One would have a hard time explaining this......
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,799 Captain
    Westwall01 wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend this option. One would have a hard time explaining this......

true dat!
    But, but "occifer" (sp), I didn't know it was wrong. :wink

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,316 Officer
    Whats the Right Thing to Do you ask..............

Fish a much larger bait so as not to catch dinks.:grin

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 482 Deckhand
    I caught a king several years back- big one - kept it- when I cleaned it- I found 5 hooks inside - basically all in same "gland/organ"
    several were Not all circle hooks which posts its own question- so he/she survived 5 hooks but not #6 :)
    Obviously this fellow was hanging around offshore reefs and stealing hooked fish.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,025 Officer

It is not just illegal to keep and possess undersize or out of season fish. If you read the law it is also illegal to injure them. So cut the hook off in the water and they will be fine. Ive caught many kings like circle said with a mouthfull of rusty hooks. A guy in NJ who tags every flounder and records how they were hooked and released has records going back 15 years. Many of his releases that had swallowed hooks and he cut line where re caught years later

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 6,078 Admiral
    Even if it dies it is not a waste to release it.
    Something that needs it far more than you do will find it.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
     We’re policing the tyrant because of others screball antics.

So tell me what are you feeling?

RAGE! I’ve been containing myself and can’t justify letting it out.

Do you feel like hurting yourself?
    Do you feel like doing harm to others?
    Are you feeling destructive?

I can’t focus and concentrate. I tend to lose my track of thoughts.

cull
    kəl/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: culling
    1. select from a large quantity; obtain from a variety of sources.
      "anecdotes culled from Greek and Roman history"
      synonyms:select, choose, pick, take, obtain, glean
      "anecdotes culled from Greek history"
      • reduce the population of (a wild animal) by selective slaughter.
        "he sees culling deer as a necessity"
        synonyms:kill, slaughter, destroy, harvest
        "he sees culling deer as a necessity"
      • send (an inferior or surplus animal on a farm) to be slaughtered.

• It's taken in consideration. That sounds crazy. ;)
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,578 Captain
    Spineyman said:

To me letting it float is willful and wanton wasting of game, but that is what the law requires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If the law allowed the dead floaters to be kept, there would be no point in the regulation as many would go out of their way to kill the catch and thus justify keeping them undersized.   It is hard to watch the floaters drift off, but circle of life kicks in....nothing gets wasted, it just becomes an easier opportunity for other feeders.