Trolling through the Caribbean without a bite

My son attends Mass. Maritime Academy. They are currently at sea for their winter sea term. There is a small group of hardcore fisherman on board. They troll from the stern. So far they do not have a bite. Somewhere in the Caribbean is a hungry fish. They had a 10 lure spread going last Sunday from Puerto Rico to Haiti and did not get a bite.

Fireman Bill

Replies

• Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,383 Captain

How big is the sled?

72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 547 Officer

I think the ship is between 500 and 600 ft. I spoke to my son this morning. They got a 12/0 4x strength stainless hook straightened yesterday on a wahoo lure. They did not see the bite.

Fireman Bill

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,662 Captain

If they are out in the middle of no where, I wouldn't be surprised. Most of the fish are near structure (sea mounts etc.) which causes up wellings and food chain cycles or right along the edges of drop offs.. Have him tell the Capt. to hug the coasts a little tighter. :)

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Somewhere out there in the deep blue is a 50 lb. dolphin just waiting to do battle on a hand line. Their last port stop is Tampa and then back to Mass. The ride up the gulf stream could show results.

• PioneerPioneer Posts: 18 Greenhorn

Keep posting. I'm excited to keep reading about an adventure.

• ldavid516ldavid516 Posts: 286 Deckhand

Problem could be they haven't match their lure size to the ship size ???

They have lures of all shapes and sizes. He has a backpack filled with lures, leaders, swivels, hooks, crimps etc. I think the problem is most of their trolling time comes way offshore far from structure.

Fireman Bill

• Osprey45Osprey45 FT Pierce/ Boonton Twp NJPosts: 990 Officer
    edited January 30 #9

Bill
    Sitting here with a friend of mine who son is on the same ship he is a 2C named Aaron Dixon

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 576 Officer

A friend of mine was an engineer on a container ship in the Med and they caught fish regularly while underway.

They left Columbia this morning heading to Barbados perhaps their luck will be better this week.

Osprey- It sure is a small world. My sons name is Zack Wilson. I think he is a 2c but it is a little confusing he transferred from FSU so his class standing is a little different.

• pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 537 Officer

How far back are they setting the lures ? I would imagine the prop wash on that is considerable , making the lures invisible from below . Have them set them way , way back .

• saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 768 Officer

tell the captain to look for a stick...

• ldavid516ldavid516 Posts: 286 Deckhand

My math says on a 500' boat you need @ minimum 6' lure !!
    8' would be better. ;)

• swampdog0swampdog0 Posts: 10 Greenhorn

drone spoon or cedar plug way way way back then go a little more.

I talked to my son yesterday. They are in Barbados this weekend. No fish from Cartagena to Barbados. They did not get to fish much. He said most of the time they were traveling too fast. He did try the cowbell he has with him at 16 knots with no luck and said it took three guys to retrieve it. He has 1000 ft of 550 lb. para cord with him so he can fish almost any distance he wants. He did not bring a drone spoon and rejected my idea to bring a cedar plug.

Fireman Bill

• taymagtaymag Delray Beach, FLPosts: 708 Officer
    edited February 3 #17

Cool either way.. +1 for way back and a little more

• timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 818 Officer

" He did not bring a drone spoon and rejected my idea to bring a cedar plug."

Always listen to the old man! I can't tell how many times Mr smart **** wished he had listen to his old man.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 600 Officer

Keep us up to date ranger bill

I will. I do not get much info. Calling home is not a top priority. He asked me if a ever heard of a surf
    spot called Soupbowl? He and several boys were going to head there yesterday. Since I think my son at 21 thinks I was born old and fat I sent this photo of the old man taking off at Soupbowl in 1981.