trolling motor advice

noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 243 Deckhand

hey guys i was looking into a motorguide xi5 and wasnt sure what size to get, i have a 16ft side console and didnt know if the 55lb would be too small, or if the 80lb may be too big between the price and the extra weight of a second battery. which is a better option? my main worry is the 55lb may not have enough power.

Replies

• FlecFlec Posts: 601 Officer

I have a 55lb Minn Kota Riptide on my 16' CC 700 lb boat, I have never once thought I need more power. My battery is 3 years old is still doing good. Unless your in strong currents most of the time, I recommend a 55lb with one battery.

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer

Two Words - Minn Kota. The motor guide elec mtrs I've had spooked more fish than the minn kotas.

I have a 12 volt 55 pound on a 17 CC and it is enough for the current in the ICW.

I also use a 45 pound on a 16 ft aluminum - more than enough for fishing.

Bucking current like under the bridges at the Keys would be a diff story - I'd want 80 pound there.

• ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 439 Deckhand

I had a minnkota riptide 55lb on my 16 foot key largo and it did great. I have a 80 minnkota terrova ipilot on my new keywest 1720 and it’s the deal. Haven’t found current yet it want hold in.

Reelintension Go Pro Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger (plz like and subscribe)
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,144 Officer

Not to refute claims by anyone but I have had both Minnkotas and Motorguides. I m have the Xi5 now. My experience has been that the Motorguides are superior in every way. Just my two cents.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,294 Officer

Get the 80# thrust. The extra power is well worth it, especially in strong current or wind. The extra battery will extend your fishing time also. If you take someone fishing, that extra power will help move the boat tremendously.

Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,211 Captain

55# on my AC1720 was plenty except at Boca Grande. 80# on my AC2020 has been great, even at Boca.

Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,970 AG
    edited January 2018 #8

I would go with the 24v 80lb setup, personally, but I tend to fish in high current areas quite a bit.

If I were just fishing flats or docks it would be a different story, as the extra power (and greater efficiency) of the 24v system may or not be necessary for you depending on where/how you intend to use it.

So, some more info in that regard (i.e. how/where you fish) would help others guide you a bit better.

Good luck...Mike

• 10kman10kman Posts: 556 Officer

Was told long ago,can never have too little elec.power.In many cases those extra batteries
    are the backup for gas motor.

• noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 243 Deckhand

So to give a little more information, i fish tampa bay mostly flats, creeks and docks, but i do fish alot of tarpon around skyway bridges and gandy and thats where i think the 80lb would be the greatest benifit.

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,970 AG
    edited February 2018 #11

Given that info, I'd go with the 24v 80lb setup. The reason being you will need it around the Skyway and Gandy bridges. The tide can really rip both spots, particularly when the tarpon are around and feeding.

Do you have a good spot to store the extra batteries (and charger)?

That much weight in a boat that size can make a pretty big difference in how it runs....or at least it did when I had a similar sized boat (a 16' trihull skiff). I actually had to move the batteries up front after all was said and done, and was concerned you might face a similar challenge.

Good luck...Mike

• Garage DogGarage Dog Posts: 157 Deckhand

If you go to the Minn Kota site there is a place where it asks you some questions about the size and weight of your boat and some other stuff and it recommends which motor is best suited for your needs. I'm sure motor Guide must have something similar.

• noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 243 Deckhand

Im already set on motorguide the xi5 cuz i hear more positive things about their gps system. As for a spot for the batteries the boat runs alitte cockeyed due to the console so if i shifted the batteries which are already on the front alittle left or all the way left, it should actually run better so im not too worried on that. As for the charger i need to figure out that system as well.

• waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,024 Officer

The only spot I've had trouble locking on to satellites with my iPilot was underneath the Bahia Honda bridge in a ripping current, fishing for tarpon. Even offshore in the Gulf Stream, I've had no problem staying in position with a 24V, 80 lb. thrust Riptide on a 167 Egret. I had a MotorGuide for quite a few years; it was considerably noisier than my Minn Kota and was very susceptible to voltage surges blowing motherboards if not disconnected from my batteries when they were being charged. Both worked well when they worked, but I prefer Minn Kota for reliability.