Fish fry or fingerling identification

I live on a canal in west central but you guys are a better resource for inshore fishing questions. I have fry all year long in my dock lights and would like to identify them. Some are obvious but most aren’t. For instance, right now I have clouds of small slightly striped fry in my lights. I know sheepshead are spawning nearshore right now, but I don’t know if the fry move inshore. Does anyone know a good resource for our area of species fry identification? Thanks!

2014 Tidewater 230lxf, 250XA Yamaha, "Reel Luv'n"
2017 Hog Island SW16, Suzuki DF25A
2015 Tracker Guide V-14 jon boat (sold)
2002 Seaswirl Striper 2101wa, 150hp Yamaha, "O'baybe" (Sold)
Tidewaterowners.com

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,050 Moderator

Tough without a picture.

"You'll get your weather"
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,864 Captain

Florida sportsman fish ID book. Think you can find it on this site.

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,511 Captain

Identifying fry can be very difficult in some cases. There are several online databases that are used by academicians, but they are hard for laymen to understand. You generally need to have some idea of the fishes genus or family in order to look up pictures. And there are lots of regional differences in the appearance of fish, especially in juveniles. There is no way that I know of to search for a species ID using an image.

If you had a picture of the fry you are seeing, I could give a shot at the ID. It's very doubtful that you would have sheepshead or black drum at your light since they are only now starting to spawn. The young would still be in the larval stage. Several local species of killifish also have verticle stripes. You are more likely to see them schooled up now.