Bayshore Rookie

Probably should have used the title as my nickname... but I digress

Last week.. yes late report, but rather this is more of a story than a report.. I went out of Bayshore Park, solo.* I'm still in lost mode but but decided to try something different and work off the beach.. maybe find some pompano or something of interest.* I tried fishing the "rocks" but weekend traffic was challenging my ability and patience to fish the area effectively.. so i shot out the gap and turned south..

I noticed a ton of corrmarants working in 10 fow.. so i powered down and decided to drift working jigs and whatever else I had in my limited arsenal.* I picked up a blue runner, which I promptly tossed off the back on a free line with a heavy leader.* Working the shoreline* there was a ton of bait, jacks busting on them and pelicans in large groups on the water.* I obviously stumbled into a large bio mass of life.* A few runners and jacks later, my flat line suddenly ripped out drag.. I grabbed the rod and was onto a large shark.* It bull rushed me, turned tail, jumped a few times and decided to take off to Fort Myers. . I was ear to ear grin . Then the hook pulled.* But alas I was onto something.

I continued drifting, catching runners and jacks.. had a grand time with something pulling on the other end with a free line out the back.* This time I had a perch swimming in distress and another shark grabbed the offering.* IInsert ear to ear grin and line peeled off my 6500 penn and 8" medium Shakespeare. But again the hook pulled. I believe it was a black fin or spinner as it jumped several time.. I'm my minds eye it was 6 foot, but likely under 5.

I made a decision to circle back and anchor up.* I took a bait bucket, cut a blue runner and let it bleed in the water while* my free line swam behind the boat.* I kept catching bait and* kept some alive, cut others up and slow chummed.

To shorten this story, I ended up hooking 6 sharks.* I had drawn the them in and every 15 minutes or so i got bit.* I only was tail whippped onceand cut my leader only once,* but i was using circle hooks and am certain the issue was the gap was too small..* I had fun nonetheless.

Next day I went out armed better, large j hooks, wire leaders and 5' section of heavy top shot.* What a difference a day makes.. bait was gone, but the bio mass haf moved on, but I setup confident i could draw in at least one shark.* I cutt up runners and perch with a free line out the back.. I hooked up only one shark, but I was able to get it to the boat and released it..* It felt good to make an adjustment and connect.* I ma thankfull i have a rod with alum butt, this fish bent the handle in the holder as it grabbed the bait and went to the front of the boat .. awkward angle for the rod.Next time I go shark fishing, I am going to seek out a bio mass and set up.. I'm looking forward to

Thanx for reading .. and if anyone is willing to take the risk to meet up with me, I'm game.* I need a little nudge in the right direction for together piecing together this saltwater stuff.

[email protected]
But hey dare, what do I know.. I'm just a Yankee salmon fisherman.. or no? See some of my pictures on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BDMhg_NKD21/... search jamers_h

Replies

• ShedheadShedhead Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Figured out how to upload photos.. notice the bent handle..
    But hey dare, what do I know.. I'm just a Yankee salmon fisherman.. or no? See some of my pictures on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BDMhg_NKD21/... search jamers_h
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 979 Officer
    Great report. You are well on your way to piecing this together on your own.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 677 Officer
    Sounds like your getting it! Good report!
    I dont fish naples much, personally i like south of goodland to avoid the crowds!
    Jason :USA
    Yeah.. bout that piecing it together thing.. the back waters are kicking my booty.. the water all looks the same, just need a nudge to get in the right direction.. somone to point things out I am not seeing. so I'm muddling along..

I do buy a good GPS with charts.. Garmin echo map sv.. nice unit..so I'm not too concerned about getting lost.. as long as I power from my batteries that is..
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 979 Officer
    The back waters around Naples has been slow for me too. After this cold front and the waters clear a little it should get better. Hopefully the Gulf cools and the fish come inshore for warmer temps.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • FinheadFinhead Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    If your new to the area there are a couple weekly local (Naples to Boca grande) radio shows that are good at the initial "point you in the right direction". They record them on there websites so you can downloaded them whenever is convenient to listen. They may not put you on an exact spot but there good at basic techniques and discussing what's were at certain times of year around here. Once you get the "what's where" at given times of the year it's gets alot easier (ha ya easier... May be pushing it)

Radio waterline radio

Reel talk radio
    Thanx.. I'll look into the radio thingy..

I've got a lot to learn about the seasonal movements.. a lot!! But I 've been doing this all my life. Move.. learn, move relearn.. this time add tides , and no ice season.. and in my minds eye backwards spawning periods.. and backward spawning movements..

Again thanx..
  • MonelloMonello Posts: 46 Greenhorn

I started using a bait runner reel for live bait. Once something grabs ahold and runs you hear that sweet sound. You can easily take the rod out of the holder while the line peels out. Just give the reel a crank and set the hook. The tension is adjustable so you can get it just the way you want.

Targeting sharks, I let them run with the bait a bit. A few times I've set the hook only to find half a bait on the hook.