What tackle to bring to Naples?

I am going to be heading down to Naples next month and plan to do some fishing off the beaches any recommendations on what to bring down for tackle I will probably buy a rod and reel when i get down since i have a place to store it. I have plenty of freshwater tackle to spare so i figured i could bring a few things down right now i have hooks, round jigs, some twisters tails. What else should i bring down?

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,365 Admiral
    Off the Beach..Pyramid sinkers , bout 1/2 oz. !/0 Circle hooks/ Small cast net...your good.
    There's no real Structure off the Beach's so the fish tend to move up and down it.
    Fish the First Trough and just pass it 20 feet.
    First Trough is plainly seen from Google Earth..it's not very far out.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • bigdogg2278bigdogg2278 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Are there different laws regarding cast nets and what bait can be used?
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,365 Admiral
    Not that I'm aware of.
    Only bait you can't use is a Gamefish. Your not gonna catch any of them in a cast net anyways.
    Sand Perch , Finger Mullet , Pinfish..Bout anything you catch is good bait.
    And that First Trough is about 20 feet out. Much further than that and your just fishing the Rest of the Gulf.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • ShedheadShedhead Posts: 37 Greenhorn

I moved down here bout a year and a half ago, since then I've been fighting engine problems on my boat, so i find myself fishing the beach on a regular basis... with that... a medium action rod in the 6 foot range and a reel 3000-4000 range spooked with 15lb braid and 20 lb leader is more than enough for most purposes. For simplicity I like a fish finder rig - 1/2 oz egg sinker with a swivel, 2 foot leader and a size 2 or 4 octopus hook loaded with a chunk of frozen shrimp. I catch quite a few whiting and occasionally other surprises such as pompano, sheep head if I'm by pilings, as well as snook, black drum, etc.

I also like to toss jigs, think bigger ... one to cast further and two the fish are more aggressive than freshwater so lures can be worked faster... my favorite is a 3/4 silly willy jig with a teaser. I scoot this set up along the bottom rapidly.. fast twitch twitch twitch .. pause to take up slack. Repeat rapidly. You can also rip jig, but mackerel will take your jigs if they are around, worked along the bottom this is less of a problem.

I have tossed plastics, nylon, and plugs with success as well, but that silly willy jig really catches pompano.

I also like to toss a net for live bait if I can catch them. But that has been spotty lately.. cold water. You can catch sand fleas for bait as well. They've been small, but 2 or 3 on a hook works well.

Something to consider if you can.. stay mobile.. stop at a beach, walk and fish, if you not seeing lots of life, move to another beach. Sometimes moving a few miles is the key

Last, I like to toss out a large rod for sharks..every so often I get one. Still looking for that big black tip.. i hooked a couple, but lost them due to faulty rigging.. which I have fixed.. but that's a whole other topic. Give me a jingle if you want.. phone number.. seven one five -347 -seven 1 six 9.. ill gladly tell you what ive figured out .. you probably just want to be on the beach with the family and if your like me.... there's water.. I'm gonna be fishing it. Good luck!!

James

But hey dare, what do I know.. I'm just a Yankee salmon fisherman.. or no? See some of my pictures on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BDMhg_NKD21/... search jamers_h