conflict 1 vs conflict 2

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,271 Moderator
Any significant difference between Conflict I and Conflict II reels in the 5000 size, other than weight savings in the rotor?
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• TunanorthTunanorth Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Other opportunities to save weight have also been taken. Besides the rotor, the handle is now carbon.
    Total weight savings 1.5 to 4 ounces depending on size.
    Gears are now C-n-C machined, though aluminum to again save weight [pinion on 5000 size is brass].
    Penn Pro Staffer
    "The best kind of fish in the world is the one on the end of your line"
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,271 Moderator
    Thanks Tunanorth!
  • PENNPENN Posts: 373 Deckhand
    jcanracer -
    Sorry for the late reply. The only thing that the Conflict and Conflict II share is the name. The Conflict II was completely redesigned to be a lightweight inshore reel while retaining PENN durability. The RR30 body and rotor is where the majority of the weight is saved, while the CNC aluminum gears give it great internal durability.

Ben
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,271 Moderator
    Sorry, I missed your reply Ben, I got one of those Conflict I 5000's on a close-out sale with the intent to use it for light, near-shore jigging duty. Knowing that its really meant for inshore, I will try not to ask too much of it :)
    I did notice that the capacity rating of 300 yards of 30# braid might have been a bit ambitious though. I'll see if the spool looks better once the line is wet and packed on more tightly.