Need to get my Steering Rebuilt...

There used to be a company in Palm Harbor (ish) called steering rebuilders but I BELIEVE the gentleman passed away.

Any other suggestions for getting this done? I added some fluid because it was low and it is leaking like a stuck pig...

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Tight Lines.
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• AndrewFLAndrewFL Greenhorn Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    It's not a big job if you find the (proper) parts and have someone to help for an hour or two. Always remember to hold the steering cables (2 of them) upwards. If you have installed new cables and they bleed out, they are compromised. I replaced my entire steering unit on a 25 center console last year, with a new one.......hardest part was taking the nut off the steering wheel. However, I did not replace the steering lines, if yours are leaking, then its time for brand new ones. Youtube is always a great help. Also, find out the name of the company (on the steering cables) and go to the website, write down the part number. You must be very specific with the replacement cables (boat length, the diameter of the cable, and if the new cable will screw into the existing steering unit. That's what I did for the new steering unit, and the updated piece was shipped to me, and it matched perfectly. This saved me 1400$ from the marina, hope this helps!
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Captain Posts: 2,139 Captain
    Thanks. I did find a rebuild video on Youtube and am going to give it a shot. And you are right about the steering wheel. Haven't gotten it off yet but have a plan and hopefully it will go ok. I had a 3 prong puller but there is nowhere on the wheel to "grab" it. Came up with an idea to use ubolts on the steering wheel spokes so the puller can grab something. Going to try that in the next day or so. Got the seal kit for $40. we will see how it goes...
  • AndrewFLAndrewFL Greenhorn Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Good, keep me posted CaptainBly :USA
  • JoesarantiJoesaranti Greenhorn Posts: 70 Greenhorn
    Have you located where the leak is coming from? In my experience over the years it almost always is a bad seal
    on the steering ram. very rarely has it ever been the hydraulic lines or the steering pump. Is your system Sea Star or Bay Star?
  • Gary SGary S Captain Posts: 1,511 Captain
    CaptainBly wrote: »
    Thanks. I did find a rebuild video on Youtube and am going to give it a shot. And you are right about the steering wheel. Haven't gotten it off yet but have a plan and hopefully it will go ok. I had a 3 prong puller but there is nowhere on the wheel to "grab" it. Came up with an idea to use ubolts on the steering wheel spokes so the puller can grab something. Going to try that in the next day or so. Got the seal kit for $40. we will see how it goes...

If you have a air compressor, use a air chisel with a point on it. Loosen the nut to the top of the shaft but don't take it off.Have someone pull up on the steering wheel and hit it in the center of the shaft with air chisel.The air chisel gives it song short impacts and does not hurt the helm. It will pop off with just a few blows.
  • nfairbanknfairbank Deckhand Posts: 266 Deckhand
    That was Butch Castleberry who passed away. He was a great guy, very dedicated and of course did a super job of every project.

His company was BoatSteeringRebuilders.com and it was sold to somebody in Venice, Florida. From what I gather, they do not leave their shop and you have to take the parts to them, whereas Butch would dismantle your system, rebuild and re-install. I have missed him on more than one occasion.
    Thanks for the feedback. I did get the steering wheel off. I was solo so had to finagle a 3 prong puller. The steering wheel had nothing to grab onto so I put a ubolt on each of the three spokes of the wheel and attached the puller to those and got it off.

I couldn't tell exactly where the pump was leaking from. I bought a seal kit and replaced as many seals as I could get to. Really a pretty simple mechanism. Will see if that fixes it or will have to find someone who knows what they are doing. The day after I put it in there was no leaking, will see after I use it a little.

Nfairbank, you that is the company. Sorry to hear he passed. They used to be all over the radio shows and ship shape tv and always seemed to have a great name and reputation.