Hillsboro: Bananas do it again!

CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 368 Deckhand
See Sticky: 'Need A Crew/ Want To Fish' Hillsboro (12-03-2017)

Gogs were more elusive than usual so I was thankful for only 4.

Punched thru easterly swells that were larger and closer together than expected out to 140' and set sea anchor.

Before I launched the first gog I paused for my usual boating breakfast of an aromatic spotty banana :banana then back to business....then BOOM....balloon pops just just 30' away....and then marvelled at an energetic sail performing multiple acrobatic leaps.

I was thinking of small kings which are plentiful at this time when I attached a titanium rig to that thrift store bargain 2-piece fiberglass Shakespeare rod mounted with a levelwind Shimano 200GT with 15#, consequently that sail gave me a good workout...almost spooled me so I had to give chase continually!

NOTE: This is the second sail on this rod but next trip I'll be sure to use one of my kite rods! (Shimano SpeedMaster IV with 6:1 ratio on a Tiger Lite Ugly Stick.)

No other hits on the other livies so I chopped them for chum and bait then got a barely legal mutton for the little wifey, and released a very nice red grouper that was 11 days too late! :banghead

Later right in front of the Hillsboro light, got a couple worm-free Jack Crevalles for some grateful friends who are not fussy, but neither am I.

I think I'm going to change my screen name to "Banana Boat"...stay tuned....:wink

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Replies

• Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,349 Officer
    Nice, nothing wrong with bananas, suspicious people should be thrown overboard not the bananas
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 368 Deckhand
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    Nice, nothing wrong with bananas, suspicious people should be thrown overboard not the bananas

I don't need to throw them overboard as they self-exit having been so traumatized watching me eat my banana breakfast. What's more, they don't return my calls to go out again...this actually happened once. Regretfully, I never got the chance to ask him which one of the many ancient sea gods I had offended. :huh

Top 20 Sailors’ and Fishermens’ Superstitions

20. Re-naming a boat
    It is bad luck to change the name of the boat. If you do, you must have a de-naming ceremony and officially christen the boat again.

19. Tattoos
    When tattooing became popular at sea a rooster and a pig were often tattooed onto sailors’ feet. It was believed these animals would prevent the sailors from drowning by showing them the way to shore.

18. Blood
    It is unlucky to set off at the start of the fishing season without having first shed some blood in a fight or in an accident.

17. Fishing nets
    When setting fishing nets it is good luck to use an odd number

16. Caul
    Having the caul of a new-born child on board a ship was meant to prevent anyone from drowning. This meant that cauls were often purchased by sailors before a voyage. (A caul is a harmless membrane that covers the face and head of a newborn baby. It is very rare).

15. Hat overboard
    Losing a hat overboard was an omen that the trip would be a long one.

14. Egg shells
    Egg shells had to be broken into tiny pieces once an egg was cracked open. This was meant to stop witches coming to the ship to sail in the pieces of shell.

13. Personal grooming
    Anyone aboard who trimmed their nails, cut their hair or shaved their beard brought bad luck to the ship.

12. Feet
    Flat-footed people were unlucky on board a ship, and were also avoided by sailors before they boarded.

11. Women
    Women were bad luck on board because they distracted the crew, which would anger the sea, causing treacherous conditions as revenge. However, conveniently for the male crew, naked women calmed the sea, which is why so many figureheads were women with bare breasts.

10. Non-sailing days
    It was bad luck to sail on Thursdays (God of Storms, Thor’s day) or Fridays (the day Jesus was executed), the first Monday in April (the day Cain killed Abel), the second Monday in August (the day Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed), and 31 December (the day on which Judas Iscariot hanged himself).

9. Watch your mouth
    Some words and sayings brought about bad luck on board, including "drowned", "goodbye” and "good luck". Things to do with the land were believed to be bad luck if mentioned, such as the church, pigs, foxes, cats, and rabbits.

8. No whistling
    Whistling or singing into the wind was forbidden as it would "whistle up a storm"

7. No farewell
    It was bad luck for seafaring men’s wives to call out to them or wave goodbye once they stepped out the door to leave for a voyage.

6. Stirring tea with a knife or fork would invite bad luck

5. As would turning a loaf of bread upside down once it had been cut
    These two seem to be superstitions that existed on land as well as at sea:

4. Red-heads
    Like flat-footed people, red heads were believed to bring bad luck to a ship. If you met one before boarding, the only way to mitigate the bad luck was to speak to them before they could speak to you.

3. Salt
    It was bad luck for one crewman to pass the salt pot to another directly. Presumably one could put it down and the other could pick it up.

2. Fishy
    In order to encourage fish to be caught, Scottish fishermen would begin their fishing session by throwing one of the crew members overboard and then hauling him back on

1. Bananas
    No bananas on board. They were believed to be so unlucky they would cause the ship to be lost. Whole cargoes of bananas were especially frightening for sailors.

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• IAMSECONDIAMSECOND Posts: 78 Deckhand
    These superstitions explain why so many bad fishing days.
  • terrapinterrapin Posts: 119 Deckhand
    You just proved it. You got rid of the banana and then you caught fish.
    terrapin wrote: »
    You just proved it. You got rid of the banana and then you caught fish.

:funnypost

• JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    19. Tattoos
    When tattooing became popular at sea a rooster and a pig were often tattooed onto sailors’ feet. It was believed these animals would prevent the sailors from drowning by showing them the way to shore.

4. Red-heads
    Like flat-footed people, red heads were believed to bring bad luck to a ship. If you met one before boarding, the only way to mitigate the bad luck was to speak to them before they could speak to you.

As I've always understood it, pig & (chicken or) rooster tattoos were considered a protection against drowning, because those animals (being normally shipped in wooden crates that floated) were most commonly found to survive a shipwreck. I always thought that those tattoos signified floating with the pigs & chickens. I guess that folk lure varies depending on region. Hold Fast tattoos were considered a protection against being lost overboard.

I've read that Christopher Columbus was a read head. Considering what he was doing in the first place, his crew must have been scared half to death.
    JIMinPB wrote: »
    As I've always understood it, pig & (chicken or) rooster tattoos were considered a protection against drowning, because those animals (being normally shipped in wooden crates that floated) were most commonly found to survive a shipwreck. I always thought that those tattoos signified floating with the pigs & chickens. I guess that folk lure varies depending on region. Hold Fast tattoos were considered a protection against being lost overboard.

I've read that Christopher Columbus was a read head. Considering what he was doing in the first place, his crew must have been scared half to death.

:grin

• Tori'S ToyTori'S Toy Posts: 271 Deckhand
    11. Women
    Women were bad luck on board because they distracted the crew, which would anger the sea, causing treacherous conditions as revenge

I'm so screwed.... 😒
    attachment.php?attachmentid=230307&d=1483582365
    Tori'S Toy wrote: »
    11. Women
    Women were bad luck on board because they distracted the crew, which would anger the sea, causing treacherous conditions as revenge

I'm so screwed.... ��

The sea, she is a jealous lover...beware!:nono

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,520 Captain
    Why do you think they took the banana off
    the tittey whitey fruit of the loom label.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,572 Captain
    I always carry bananas. Loaded with potassium which is good to help with muscle cramps/fatigue from fighting big strong fish.
    No sir...no stupidstitions here!
    saltybum ...now you're talkin...that gets you 2 dancing bananas!!! :banana :banana