Homosassa River gets another one.

This afternoon at 57A (Hells Gate, looking UP river).

Also saw several dead mid-sized Snook.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
but I will always respect your right to be wrong!

Replies

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,273 Captain
    So how was the fishing?
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 186 Deckhand
    Twenty five feet outside the channel ? Is that channel marker 57 in the picture ? Haven't paid my dues on the H so still extremely cautious.
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 418 Deckhand
    Ow Ow Ow!
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,100 Officer
    That hurts, ouch.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,768 Admiral
    I imagine his social media feed right now has ads for keel guard all over it
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Knot LeftKnot Left Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Not paying attention in that area always ends badly.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,530 Captain
    A hurricane deck boat...

Probably improved the hull.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 858 Officer
    HARRYD wrote: »
    Twenty five feet outside the channel ? Is that channel marker 57 in the picture ? Haven't paid my dues on the H so still extremely cautious.

Right...... That's 57A off the bow of the boat. He is on the wrong side, and our river is NOT very forgiving.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,821 Admiral
    sanding the pad will increase his top end in the future.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Widespread PanicWidespread Panic Posts: 191 Deckhand
    Hope only pride was injured.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,100 Officer
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    sanding the pad will increase his top end in the future.
    Good one
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,831 Captain
    Hells Gate claims another! Ouch. Maybe a slow zone??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 467 Deckhand
    No Power Poles needed...
  • VolFanVolFan Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    I saw this guy on the river. After coming in the river and passing the no wake zone he got on plane but stopped 2 markers down because he didn't know which way the river turned. I told my wife, another newbie.
  • GoldHunterGoldHunter Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Stupid is as stupid does... Hope no one got hurt, but it you don't know what you're doing you have no business piloting a boat, especially in a place like that.
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 410 Deckhand
    Ruff One wrote: »
    Hells Gate claims another! Ouch. Maybe a slow zone??

If you don't stay in the channel, slow zone would only make the landing a little softer. There's no cure for stupidity, inattention or ignorance of the basic rules of the road. Just happy no one was evidently hurt.
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,975 Captain
    Is that river safe if you stay in the channel markers? Ran it a few times when I had my 36' CC with no issues. Maybe I was just lucky because I have heard there are hazards.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,273 Captain
    During extremely low tides I've twice touched bottom inside of the channel at Hell's gate with my Grady that draws just over 3 ft when not on plane and at least 2 ft when it's on top. It's deepest within 10 ft of the red markers, but sometimes you just can't get through. I generally slow down and run through the cut between the islands when it's really low. There is at least 4 ft there even during the lowest tides I've seen.

The last time I hit bottom there and messed up a prop was just a few months ago. The guy in front of me chopped his throttle just past the green marker. I think that he saw the bottom come up on his depth finder and just panicked. I had to drop off plane myself and steered too close to the green marker in order to keep from hitting him.

At least they put in permanent post markers at Hell's Gate. Back when they only had cans, the shrimpers were always hitting them and dragging them out of position. There were lots of accidents when would happen and it usually took a few days before the markers were repositioned correctly.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,975 Captain
  • DucksterDuckster Posts: 547 Officer
    I was riding in a donzi and we bumped there in extreme low tide lost the lower unit and mangled the stainless prop. The guys Dad told him to idle through he said nah I got this lol