Went shark fishing on Tiger key back in late November

Hey gang,

Hope you're all well and resting up your fish-fighting muscles as the cold front blows through.
I've been meaning to post a report of my trip for a while now but I've been bogged down with work, life, etc.

I drove to EC on a Thursday night and slept in my car, as one does. Before I fell asleep I enjoyed a few cold ones while fishing that bridge between EC and Chokoloskee (where the construction was going on). Only a few hardheads to show for my efforts, but the current was ripping and it looked fishy. Anyone ever have any luck there?

I had planned to paddle out before dawn but realized that I left some critical shark fishing supplies at home. I hit Everglades bait and tackle when they opened at 6 and the lady running the shop was really helpful in getting me sorted. Great place, great location, great people.

I paddled out of the rod and gun club because the park was closed at the time. It was a smooth ride out, paddling with the current is great. Beautiful landscape and the marine life is amazing. I'm not sure whether November is tarpon season in the 10k, but they were rolling all over the place on my way out. It was so tempting to fish, but I had a long way to go so I held off. I made it to Tiger key within about 3 hours, set up camp, had a bite to eat and got to fishing for shark bait :) I managed some jacks, and also netted some mullets and hooked a 20 lb stingray, so I was good to go.

I then proceeded to fish for the next two nights and hooked about 50 sharks, landing maybe half of them. It was awesome. I could only fish one rod, because when I paddled out 2 baits I would get double headers almost immediately, and I was on my own, so it never ended well. I actually had 3 baits out once and had 3 takes about 30 seconds apart. Total ***** show. All told I think I caught 7-8 species of shark, up to about 7-feet. Lemons, bulls, spinners, blacktips, a 6-foot hammer, some bonnetheads, and I think a couple of others. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of the bigger ones to oyster bars and other sharp things in the shallows. The night time selfies were tough and most of my gopro footage didn't turn out in the darkness, but I did manage a few decent pics and clips, so I made a short video, mostly to show some buddies back home in Canada how great the 10k are ;)

Anyway, another great couple of nights in the glades. Here's a few pics and a video for your enjoyment. I look forward to getting back down there some time soon.

Tight lines,

MoB

Replies

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 770 Officer
    Good report... I really should get into the shark fishing....Catch them as by catch pretty often...They are a blast hooked up on small equipment!
    Jason :USA
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 493 Deckhand
    Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing
  • dustin2785dustin2785 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Nice report and trip. The bridge between Everglades and Chokoloskee is hit or miss but when its a hit its awesome. We used to fish tiger key when I was a kid right before dark during the summer and used to catch some monster snook and lots of sharks.
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 157 Deckhand
    Great Report. Sounds like a really fun trip!.
  • MonelloMonello Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    I love the fight you get when you hook up with a shark. No quit in them.
  • BobberBobber Posts: 881 Officer
    Looks like you've got it dialed in!

Is that frost on that trout?
  • Golfn1Golfn1 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Hey MoB, help out a fellow Canuck. How are you rigging your bait live or dead ? Do you slice any live bait you use ? What is your line and leader. I’ve lost a few big sharks that broke my 80# power pro attached to a 150# steel leader with circle hook as the business end.

Cheers,

Chris.
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,019 Officer
    Dude! You are hard core!!!!!!!!!!
    My hat is off to you.
  • Master of BaitMaster of Bait Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    Thanks fellas. Had a great time.

Bobber, I know we just had “florida winter”, but no chance that’s frost 😜.

Golfn1, always great to hear from another canuck down here. With a decent hook and leader, mainline is always the issue when shark fishing. Surprisingly, it doesn’t take a big shark to slice through 80# braid with its tail, or rub the line across a razor sharp oyster bed. If you can get your hands on 50-100 yards of 130-200 lb monofilament, tie that to your main line braid using a uni-uni, fg, or other similar knot. Then tie the mono to your leader. You’ll manage many more big boys with the abrasion resistance of heavy mono at the end of your line. Hope that helps a bit. As far as bait, fresh is the way to go. Live ladyfish or mullet are awesome, bloody dead ones cut in half are good too. But bait caught that same day always outproduces bait you pull out of the freezer.

Cheers,

MoB
  • Master of BaitMaster of Bait Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    Also, use 2x or 3x hooks to avoid this ��. The big ones always find the weakest link to find a way to break free.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,613 Captain
    Good trip, a lot of fun.
  • Golfn1Golfn1 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Thanks MoB, much appreciated. Will try out when I'm down there next month. Tight lines !!