How to care for Doa soft plastics?

SnookSlob1SnookSlob1 Posts: 53 Greenhorn
Just wondering for storing in the tackle box, I separated them by putting all the shrimp in one section, all the paddle tail in another and then the terroreyez in another. They are different colors together, so do I need to worry about them bleeding over? Or ruining the box?
I know with zman elaztec i have to take extra care but is it the same way with Doa?

Replies

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,193 Officer
    I keep them in the bag they came in. All the new tackle boxes are worm proof.
  • jpetojpeto Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    SnookSlob1 wrote: »
    Just wondering for storing in the tackle box, I separated them by putting all the shrimp in one section, all the paddle tail in another and then the terroreyez in another. They are different colors together, so do I need to worry about them bleeding over? Or ruining the box?
    I know with zman elaztec i have to take extra care but is it the same way with Doa?

I'm not sure about DOA colors bleeding but I do use a lot of Gambler EZ swimmers and Big EZ swim baits and yes, they do bleed color. Knowing that, you might wanna keep colors separate from one another. As for storing in the same box, you'll be fine just don't put them together with Zman baits
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,732 Captain
    DOA doesn't bleed but the hooks will rust easily if left to the elements. I store them in air tight boxes with dessicant. Same as all my other jigs.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • fordmag84fordmag84 Bradenton, Fl Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    SnookSlob1 wrote: »
    I keep them in the bag they came in, and keep all the bags in a larger storage bag.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 420 Deckhand
    Like some of the others I keep them in the bags. I think it keeps them better.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,936 Captain
    I buy DOA shrimp in bulk and just keep them in a new plastic box... The only precaution I do take is never to mix different makes or styles of plastic lures, since some are incompatible with others.... I only bring what's needed out on the skiff -the vast remainder is kept in my garage and never leaves there until needed...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Skinny RunningSkinny Running Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    I know they are popular but I find as artificial shrimp go, there are some alternatives to DOA that look and behave far more realistically and with better higher quality hooks too. The voodoo shrimp for instance is much better imo in terms of movement in the water and appearance. The gulps dont look very realistic either compared to the voodoo but I like those gulps better on a hook up jig than a plain doa I think due to the scent factor and the fact that the jig is very high quality with strong hooks.
  • fordmag84fordmag84 Bradenton, Fl Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    I know they are popular but I find as artificial shrimp go, there are some alternatives to DOA that look and behave far more realistically and with better higher quality hooks too. The voodoo shrimp for instance is much better imo in terms of movement in the water and appearance. The gulps dont look very realistic either compared to the voodoo but I like those gulps better on a hook up jig than a plain doa I think due to the scent factor and the fact that the jig is very high quality with strong hooks.
    I have caught a lot of fish with a DOA shrimp, I like and use the vudu. I would not consider the DOA inferior, just a different approach. Fish are weird, and slight variations might mean strikes.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,936 Captain
    Like most we use a variety of lures day or night... During day times we're using Gulp tails on lead heads (that I make myself...), or bucktails with either a plastic worm (for really big fish along the coast of the 'Glades around downed trees along shorelines outside) or those same bucktails (again, I make my own...) tipped with a bit of shrimp for everything that swims. In recent years though - it's been hard to beat a Gulp tailed leadhead - for a one pound trout up to a really big tarpon (the tarpon are just incidental - but you haven't lived until you hook a hundred pound fish on a rod meant for a redfish or snook..). If my anglers have some skill then we can add hardbaits to the mix... With fly anglers aboard things change - but we're still chasing the same fish in the same places....

At night though - my number one - go to lure -is always a DOA 1/4oz shrimp (clear with gold flake). I like them enough to buy them 50 to 100 at a time... When one of my anglers brought his favorite plug rod aboard one night with that first DOA... I was impressed with how well it worked - and we've been fishing them ever since. The only time I even bring live shrimp aboard now is with absolute beginners or nights when we working really deep waters around ocean inlets.

By the way, I'd tried them years before with poor results - simply because I didn't know how to use them... Once I was shown how - they're been aboard every night for years... Yes, we do a lot of fly fishing at night - but when it's spinning or conventional plug rods and there are any shrimp around (like they are right now....) the DOA just works, period...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Capjohnson.mikeCapjohnson.mike Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Just store the shrimp and use them. Cal paddle tails and jerkbaits I keep the colors in the bags I buy them in...the vudu is ok but you can’t store them with your regular plastics. I fish exclusively with DOA in south east florida. You honestly don’t need a huge tackle box for inshore Fishing...a few plugs and stick baits and a doa shrimp terroreyez and bait busters you’ll catch trout snook and reds all day. Just find the bait and an active area.