How to Use a Bait Cannon to Catch Bull Reds

MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 345 Deckhand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3J7uYrt2Yg

Details are in above video.

MathGeek details (Physics performance specs) are in this blog post:

Bait Cannon for Surf Fishing
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,204 Captain
    Pretty cool, but hanging a big breeder red vertically by her bottom jaw isn't good for the fish.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,034 Officer
    Salty - Ever wonder where everyone went on here - look to yourself and the other irritating folks.

    Math - Finally a good use for a potato cannon! Good way to apply technology. I didn't listen to the video - did you explain how to regulate the line flow off the reel?
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,880 Captain
    I have too agree with Salty
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,316 Officer
    Nothing wrong with pointing out when someone is violating laws or protocols.

    Also nothing wrong with stopping to remember before you post...........not all who post here are fishing in Florida or under the same........sometimes overbearing and draconian fishing regs.:wink

    Them boys was in SW Weezi-Anna.........probably took fish home for dinner......ya mon dat be more better than good.:USA

    I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,204 Captain
    Rich M wrote: »
    Salty - Ever wonder where everyone went on here - look to yourself and the other irritating folks.

    Math - Finally a good use for a potato cannon! Good way to apply technology. I didn't listen to the video - did you explain how to regulate the line flow off the reel?

    Sorry I offended or irritated you. Skin may be a little thin on this one. I didn't say "learn how to hold a redfish" or anything rude like that. Just pointed out it's not good for them to be handled that way. Most of the folks that hold them like that don't realize it's bad for them because they have been seeing pics for years with fish held like that. Some don't care. Again, not trying to be rude or hurt feelings, just pointing out it isn't good for them, which it isn't. Most seasoned fishermen (and women) know to hold a fish horizontally and support their weight.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,204 Captain
    Nothing wrong with pointing out when someone is violating laws or protocols.

    Also nothing wrong with stopping to remember before you post...........not all who post here are fishing in Florida or under the same........sometimes overbearing and draconian fishing regs.:wink

    Them boys was in SW Weezi-Anna.........probably took fish home for dinner......ya mon dat be more better than good.:USA

    Your right CB, maybe they did harvest it (gross), but still not good to show people the wrong way to hold a breeder imho. Too many newbs that are learning by watching vids like that.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 345 Deckhand
    Pretty cool, but hanging a big breeder red vertically by her bottom jaw isn't good for the fish.

    Dem bull reds be feedin' da hungry. No need to throw the first one back in Louisiana. We got plenty of breeders here.
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 345 Deckhand
    Rich M wrote: »
    Salty - Ever wonder where everyone went on here - look to yourself and the other irritating folks.

    Math - Finally a good use for a potato cannon! Good way to apply technology. I didn't listen to the video - did you explain how to regulate the line flow off the reel?

    We're using a level wind. A buddy walks out to the side pulling the needed line of the reel to a specified distance. The clicker is engaged so it doesn't backlash if the cast takes off a few more yards. Easy Peasy. Various approaches to reduce operation to 1 man: clothes pin, etc. 80 lb power pro.
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,034 Officer
    Sorry I offended or irritated you. Skin may be a little thin on this one. I didn't say "learn how to hold a redfish" or anything rude like that. Just pointed out it's not good for them to be handled that way. Most of the folks that hold them like that don't realize it's bad for them because they have been seeing pics for years with fish held like that. Some don't care. Again, not trying to be rude or hurt feelings, just pointing out it isn't good for them, which it isn't. Most seasoned fishermen (and women) know to hold a fish horizontally and support their weight.

    I could care less how he or you or I hold fish. It is just that almost every fish post gets a "hold it right" post or two or three. Do you really think someone is going to change their habits cause you told 'em to?

    You seem to have been here before they changed the whole website and made us change our handles and all that. It was a lot more fun on here back then. Not so much since. Few fish reports, absolutely no info on what's biting, no fun or funny posts, etc. It is pretty lousy actually.

    Time to contact PETA - Boga grips KILL fish!
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,834 Captain
    Rich M wrote: »
    I could care less how he or you or I hold fish. It is just that almost every fish post gets a "hold it right" post or two or three. Do you really think someone is going to change their habits cause you told 'em to?

    You seem to have been here before they changed the whole website and made us change our handles and all that. It was a lot more fun on here back then. Not so much since. Few fish reports, absolutely no info on what's biting, no fun or funny posts, etc. It is pretty lousy actually.

    Time to contact PETA - Boga grips KILL fish!

    You should care. Whats the point of harming a fish you inted to release?
    And you are wrong again on your next point as well
    Yes someone can change their habits. When I was young I did not know holding a big snook vertical by the jaw was harmful. Once I learned I stopped doing it.

    Maybe you can post whats biting or a report, since there is a lack of them now. Id venture to guess with the weather, reds and trout in the potholes in channels around bars, sheepshead all over docks and rocks, and flounders laying in the mud
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,204 Captain
    sk018 wrote: »
    You should care. Whats the point of harming a fish you inted to release?
    And you are wrong again on your next point as well
    Yes someone can change their habits. When I was young I did not know holding a big snook vertical by the jaw was harmful. Once I learned I stopped doing it.

    Maybe you can post whats biting or a report, since there is a lack of them now. Id venture to guess with the weather, reds and trout in the potholes in channels around bars, sheepshead all over docks and rocks, and flounders laying in the mud

    Smart man
    You should have been here yesterday
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,204 Captain
    Rich M wrote: »
    I could care less how he or you or I hold fish. It is just that almost every fish post gets a "hold it right" post or two or three. Do you really think someone is going to change their habits cause you told 'em to?

    You seem to have been here before they changed the whole website and made us change our handles and all that. It was a lot more fun on here back then. Not so much since. Few fish reports, absolutely no info on what's biting, no fun or funny posts, etc. It is pretty lousy actually.

    Time to contact PETA - Boga grips KILL fish!

    I think you mean “you couldn’t care less”. You are never too old to learn
    You should have been here yesterday
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,949 AG
    Just wait, don't you guys remember, mathgeek is just a jesus shill who mishandles fish...pissed Gary off to no end...
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 345 Deckhand
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Just wait, don't you guys remember, mathgeek is just a jesus shill ...

    Well, if you gotta be a shill for someone, Jesus is prolly the best choice ...
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,777 Admiral
    MathGeek wrote: »
    Well, if you gotta be a shill for someone, Jesus is prolly the best choice ...

    My Karma beats your Dogma


    What is prolly?
  • mara5mara5 Posts: 135 Deckhand
    Salty: Thanks for your original post. Did not know handling fish in that manner was harmful. Will not do it anymore.

    RichM: There's an old cliché about keeping your mouth shut, and letting people think you're stupid, vs. opening it and confirming.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,204 Captain
    mara5 wrote: »
    Salty: Thanks for your original post. Did not know handling fish in that manner was harmful. Will not do it anymore.

    RichM: There's an old cliché about keeping your mouth shut, and letting people think you're stupid, vs. opening it and confirming.

    That’s great, thanks Mara
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,219 Moderator
    Give it a break guys, the personal attacks WILL CEASE or I'll shut it down!!
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 87 Greenhorn
    Will never forget when I saw the plans for a pneumatic cannon on my families old dial up internet in 6th grade. Told my parents i needed to do a science experiment on gasses for funding, surprisingly my dad wasn't pissed when potatoes were obliterated to mist against 3/4 plywood. I have been thinking about how to add a functional lead to the frozen bait projectile for shark fishing here on the east coast. In theory I could freeze a bunch of chum around a mullet head in the tube but I dont know how I could have a weight set up to stick it immediately in the surf. Any ideas?
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 345 Deckhand
    Go0gan wrote: »
    Will never forget when I saw the plans for a pneumatic cannon on my families old dial up internet in 6th grade. Told my parents i needed to do a science experiment on gasses for funding, surprisingly my dad wasn't pissed when potatoes were obliterated to mist against 3/4 plywood. I have been thinking about how to add a functional lead to the frozen bait projectile for shark fishing here on the east coast. In theory I could freeze a bunch of chum around a mullet head in the tube but I dont know how I could have a weight set up to stick it immediately in the surf. Any ideas?

    Video on preparing bait slugs with lead weights. The ones with mono leaders fly further than the ones with steel leaders. We're still tweaking the process with steel leaders.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnsPjCM5lrg
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sign In or Register to comment.