Flamingo/Cape Sable fly fishing?

Hi I am new to the forum and am from Big Pine Key, FL. I run an 18' Beavertail BT3 and have recently started exploring Cape Sable and Flamingo. I'm looking for some wintertime fly fishing opportunities for snook and redfish. I haven't been able to find any sight fishing areas with fish that would work with a fly rod. Any areas inside of lake Ingram or around flamingo that would provide some shots at fish this winter? Thanks for any info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,938 Captain
    The entire coast from Cape Sable northwards can offer some great fly fishing - if you pick your weather days... If the wind is from the east that entire coastline is sheltered (but you need it to have been out of the east for a few days first...so that the waters can clear...). On the way there if you're coming by water from Big Pine -take a close look at First National bank for reds.. No it's not that super clear water you find around the lower Keys - but on a dead low tide look to see where the birds are wading (the fish working up on a rising tide will be close to birds...) and there's hardly a bit of water up on those huge flats on the south side of the bank (and note any small channels that will allow fish to stage near the shallows, waiting for the tide to rise...). The game is to work up onto the flats as the water rises staying as skinny as possible while looking for tails, wakes, muds, etc. Hard to see fish there but on a day when the winds are light - you can find some great fishing - long before you come to Cape Sable... You can do the same thing on a falling tide - but be careful or you'll get caught and end up waiting a few hours until the tide comes back in (we've all done it and it's a long wait for the tide to come back in - the flats are soft, really soft, so wading isn't ever practical - much less pushing your skiff back to where it will float again....)

Hope this helps and post up a report if you go there...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • SkiffmanBPKSkiffmanBPK Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Great thanks for the info!

• GotTarponGotTarpon Posts: 157 Deckhand
    Hi Skiffman Im on BPK also are you making the run out the back country to the cape in your beavertail?
  • SkiffmanBPKSkiffmanBPK Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    GotTarpon wrote: »
    Hi Skiffman Im on BPK also are you making the run out the back country to the cape in your beavertail?
    I trailer up to 33rd street in marathon normally. Ends up being a 24 mile run and a straight shot. I have a 20 gallon tank and bring an extra 5 gallon in case I explore a little further.