Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Well todfay sucked and the weatherman LIED

Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,012 Moderator
Got a crew together to go fish for gags before teh season closed. Had to wait till 7:45 to launch due to extremely low tide. Ran to 20' bait spot and halfway there it got real snotty, Weatherman predicted less than 10 knots all morning and seas less than 1' well it was blowing 15 and seas were 2'-3' in a short chop with the wind coming in just the wrong direction, but we suffered out to the bait spot and started to catch them quickly. Then disaster struck. One of the sabiki's got caught in the prop. Try as we did, just could not get it unwrapped. I wasn't about to put a man in the water in the cold and sea conditions we were in. I even lost a deck brush in the process. Ended up raising the engine and limping back to the ramp on #2. At home, found the entire sabiki as well as the sinker behind the prop and rear washer. I guess it's better to blow off a snotty day than have to replace a seal.

Replies

• Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 141 Deckhand
    Same here my friend. Saw the offshore report at 10 knots and seas 1-2ft. Had two friend come down to Boca from Dunedin. Broke the pass about 7:30 and greeted by 15+ winds and tight 3-4's blown in north. Turned around and luckily had 3 inshore rods, so fished gasparilla sound. Caught 3 snook, a bunch of baby gags and mangrove snapper to 11'. Released everything but had a decent day, just not the day I thought of offshore....
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,538 Captain
    They missed it on Friday as well. It got real sporty offshore mid to late morning.
    I think 2-3 was ment to be 2+3.............
  • Reel Gator 2Reel Gator 2 Posts: 139 Deckhand
    It was forecasted today (Sunday 31st) to be 2-3 offshore and going out it was mainly rollers..not choppy, but still kept at 32-37 mph going out and had to pull back throttles a little at times. The **** tide was blasting in and the bite was on but short lived as soon as tide died down, the water was very low this am and caused me to get a later start than usual. Warmed up nicely out there and got more suntanned.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 720 Officer
    Saturday was a bit more sporty than we expected. We went 12 miles out of Clearwater for a end of Gag season attempt. I was able to run at 25 mph, but it was rougher than expected with 2'-3' short period white caps all around out of the NW. My daughter managed to land a 27" gag, so I'll call it a successful trip. Sea's calmed down in the early afternoon and we rode in comfortably at 30 mph around 2:30. The picture was from the early afternoon and seas were nice by then.

Jay G
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Nice catch Jay!
    God, save the South!
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 720 Officer
    Thanks Ande!

Jay G