New Year Dolphins

Got a late start and left LWI around 8:30. Turned right and started trolling a purple and an orange Yozuri Bonita in 80-250 feet of water. Stuck to the area in front of the Breakers running about 8-9 knots.
After an hour of burning fuel dnd no fish, chaneged the set up. Put Bonita strips on the outriggers and ballyhoo with skirts short. Found a killer rip and followed it east’ish. Trolled at 6 knots and ran through patches of grass. At 525 feet water temp hit 76 degrees and I had a double in about 560’.
Fought the bigger of the two which hit the short ballyhoo with a red/white islander skirt. Finally gaffed it and amazingly, the second was still hooked, but a mile back. It hit a Bonita strip, orange skirt, on the outrigger. Both fish crushed the baits and had both hooks in their faces!
Wind picked up and couldn’t find any more rips. Headed in, fished in 300’+ but only hooked Bonita and a killer trash bag.
You’ll notice only one fin in the pic because as I exited my boat, the second, thankfully smaller, slipped out of my hand and sunk into the depths of Loggerhead Marina . It was s gorgeous day. Mostly flat and eventually I didn’t need a sweatshirt.

Replies

• SonarSupSonarSup Posts: 123 Deckhand
    I got me "a killer trash bag" last week on the troll. I was trolling circles around it for a bit hoping it may be holding fish, ended up hooking it. Threw it in the recycle bin at the marina. Am hoping it brings me good karma in the future.
    Thanks,
    -SonarSup
    STS2/SS Submarine Veteran :USA
    USCG Licensed Captain OUPV
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,284 Captain
    Those bags pull dang good when they're full of water. Especially if you keep the boat in gear. Not sure about table value though........
  • MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 610 Officer
    Story time...I grew up fishing salmon in WA State. My dad, brother and I came into Sekiu harbor with a 35 lb King Salmon. Those were hard to come by in the '80s in Washington. My brother was 11 or so, super excited to show off at the dock, yanked it out of the cooler before dad even got us tied off. As he was stepping onto the dock with a giant smile, dad yelling "Noooo!", the fish slipped, bounced off the gunnel and into the drink. 20 feet of 50 degree water. Not about to let it go, he and some others duck taped two oars together with a net and tried to fish it out, but couldn't get down to it. Crowd gathers. Everyone shakes their head. You'd think we lost a sailor at sea. Dad makes a final desperate attempt, strips down to his tightie whities and dives into the ice cold water. He could only get ahold of it by its mouth, so he shoves his hand in its mouth, brings it up, his hands shredded and bleeding from its teeth. Crowd cheers. Pictures are taken. Dad shivering in his tighties, duck tapes his hand up. We load the car faster than I've ever seen, don't even bother to clean the fish. Not a word is spoken for the whole ride home. But we got our fish. And to this day I never, ever take a fish out of the cooler until its on land and at a cleaning table :D
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
  • CaliDadCaliDad Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Hey Mako, loved the story! Good to know I’m not alone. :)
  • C-QuestC-Quest Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    MakoLogic wrote: »
    Story time...I grew up fishing salmon in WA State. My dad, brother and I came into Sekiu harbor with a 35 lb King Salmon. Those were hard to come by in the '80s in Washington. My brother was 11 or so, super excited to show off at the dock, yanked it out of the cooler before dad even got us tied off. As he was stepping onto the dock with a giant smile, dad yelling "Noooo!", the fish slipped, bounced off the gunnel and into the drink. 20 feet of 50 degree water. Not about to let it go, he and some others duck taped two oars together with a net and tried to fish it out, but couldn't get down to it. Crowd gathers. Everyone shakes their head. You'd think we lost a sailor at sea. Dad makes a final desperate attempt, strips down to his tightie whities and dives into the ice cold water. He could only get ahold of it by its mouth, so he shoves his hand in its mouth, brings it up, his hands shredded and bleeding from its teeth. Crowd cheers. Pictures are taken. Dad shivering in his tighties, duck tapes his hand up. We load the car faster than I've ever seen, don't even bother to clean the fish. Not a word is spoken for the whole ride home. But we got our fish. And to this day I never, ever take a fish out of the cooler until its on land and at a cleaning table :D

That's Hilarious...:willynilly
  • Boca KrisBoca Kris Posts: 129 Deckhand
    GREAT STORY!
  • King_MeKing_Me Posts: 5,205 Admiral
    I always laugh watching this video