Home Off Topic

A Good College Football Article

stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,658 Admiral
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/college-football-has-money-pay-players-college-football-playoff-proves-ncna833486

I might be one of the few that agrees they should pay them guys. But they should. They are making billions off of them.

At least the 45 schools in the top tier.

Replies

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    stc1993 wrote: »

I might be one of the few that agrees they should pay them guys. But they should. They are making billions off of them.

Agreed.

College football provides a slush fund with little oversight by the actual college.

They build 100 million dollar plus practice facilities while real students can't afford to go to school.

100+ million would pay for a lot of scholarships.

It's funny how many fans don't actually care about the school.
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    They should at least get paid ( by the hour) for every hour practicing, watching film or any sports related activity. They could pay them the same as a student that works in the bookstore etc. Pay them all the same and cap it so you can't outbid another school. They don't have time to go to school, work and play football. We know what happens when they don't have any money to play with. All students should be able to afford occasional burgers and wings out or to be able to afford a date or two per month
    You should have been here yesterday
  • JohnABJohnAB APOPKAPosts: 228 Deckhand
    Are they not being paid via a scholarship?
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    They receive a scholarship plus many perks that often total well over 100 grand (some much more than that) for four years. That is their pay. Most wouldn't even be able to sniff a college education without the scholarship.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,658 Admiral
    They should at least get paid ( by the hour) for every hour practicing, watching film or any sports related activity. They could pay them the same as a student that works in the bookstore etc. Pay them all the same and cap it so you can't outbid another school. They don't have time to go to school, work and play football. We know what happens when they don't have any money to play with. All students should be able to afford occasional burgers and wings out or to be able to afford a date or two per month

I agree, just a little to get by on is better than nothing. It would help keep them out of trouble like FL's guy's did last yr. Still a few more hours this yr.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,317 AG
    fins4me wrote: »
    They receive a scholarship plus many perks that often total well over 100 grand (some much more than that) for four years. That is their pay. Most wouldn't even be able to sniff a college education without the scholarship.

You are correct.

Starting two years ago (2015) schools were able to offer Stipends to student athletes ranging from $3000 to $7000 a year to cover gas, food, and misc expenses.

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/how-the-new-ncaa-player-stipends-are-impacting-sec-football-recruiting

While not big money it is not chump change since they have very little expenses.

This does not count the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund and need-based aid such as Federal Pell Grants they can.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,762 AG
    fins4me wrote: »

Most couldn't sniff a job after being losing their scholarship, not going to class, or having tutors do all their work, while the schools make millions off their labor.

Many are not prepared for college as most are athletic stars in high school and many rarely attend class at that level. It's an exploitation of mostly poor and physically gifted black atheltics.

You would have to be blind not to know this.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    Most couldn't sniff a job after being losing their scholarship, not going to class, or having tutors do all their work, while the schools make millions off their labor.

Many are not prepared for college as most are athletic stars in high school and many rarely attend class at that level. It's an exploitation of mostly poor and physically gifted black atheltics.

And who makes them participate?
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    May not work for football, but I can see where something like this would deprive college hoops of lots of big stars.

LaVar Ball plans to start league for high school graduates

LaVar Ball said Wednesday that he is launching a basketball league for nationally ranked players who have graduated from high school but don't want to go to college.

Ball said his Junior Basketball Association -- which he said is fully funded by his Big Baller Brand -- plans to pay the lowest-ranked player a salary of $3,000 a month and the best player $10,000 a month. Ball is looking for 80 players to fill 10 teams that will seek to play at NBA arenas in Los Angeles, Dallas, Brooklyn and Atlanta.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21827823/lavar-ball-wants-start-league-high-school-graduates
    They already get paid. If they don't like the deal nobody is forcing them to go to College for FREE.
    I am sure Burger King would hire them.

Suppose you are a talented athlete from Pakoee and a recruiter from Miami, FSU, UF shows up and tells you are a great player and they would like to give you a scholarship to play football at their school. You immediatedly become a celebrity in Pakoee and you visit the campus where you are treated like a king. You are told you will play on national television, you will probably play in bowl games, and you may go on to make millions playing in the NFL.

Do you believe that never happens?
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 586 Officer
    Suppose you are a talented athlete from Pakoee and a recruiter from Miami, FSU, UF shows up and tells you are a great player and they would like to give you a scholarship to play football at their school. You immediatedly become a celebrity in Pakoee and you visit the campus where you are treated like a king. You are told you will play on national television, you will probably play in bowl games, and you may go on to make millions playing in the NFL.

Happens all the time. But again they are making a choice to go play, nobody is forcing them. They are going to study (insert sport name here) and hopefully they gain employment in those areas in some form. Some schools profit from the talents of their athletes, most don't. School is the same for everyone, it is an opportunity for you to go there and potentially gain something depending on how hard you work for it. School, sports and life you generally get out of them what you put into them. If students begin going to school expecting payment then what will they really gain? The unending idea that they are owed for a very particular talent and that there will be a myriad of people there to enable them in their lives. For every Alabama there are 10 Utah States.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,032 AG
    And you wonder why Americans are too stupid to understand the metric system.

ykdkqhstdm1ptubyuct2.jpg?fit=1200%2C675&ssl=1
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”

Do you think that the university is the only one telling them that. These players have been hearing it since they were in Pee Wee Football. For many it is a scholarship and hope or high school and minimum wage for the rest of their lives. Isn't the hope better than their alternative? Many take advantage, get a degree and get decent jobs.

How will paying them some small salary for four years to play football make a difference in their lives long term?

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman wrote: »
    Do you think that the university is the only one telling them that. These players have been hearing it since they were in Pee Wee Football. For many it is a scholarship and hope or high school and minimum wage for the rest of their lives. Isn't the hope better than their alternative? Many take advantage, get a degree and get decent jobs.

How will paying them some small salary for four years to play football make a difference in their lives long term?

The entire thing is a scam at the expense of mostly poor and mostly black kids. Coaches, assistant coaches, athletic directors make millons from the labor of these kids that are not guaranteed ****. Many, maybe even most, are not really or equipped for college academics, but because they generate so much revenue for the school, they are given a pass until their eligility is over. Then, it's see you you later, kid.
    The entire thing is a scam at the expense of mostly poor and mostly black kids. Coaches, assistant coaches, athletic directors make millons from the labor of these kids that are not guaranteed ****. Many, maybe even most, are not really or equipped for college academics, but because they generate so much revenue for the school, they are given a pass until their eligility is over. Then, it's see you you later, kid.

What would they have gotten without it? Tell me their bright future without the free ride to college?

What do you think the college owes them for playing for four years?

Give me a number, that is reasonable and affordable with the number of college football and basketball players there are (we forget the other sports for now).

Many of these kids would have likely been high school drop outs with nothing without the skills to play sports. You act like they had a bright future and the college took that away form them. the College gave them an opportunity at least. It is more than they had without it.

Tell me where they would be without college athletics and what you think the university owes them. Do all the players get the same amount or do we have a bidding war among colleges for the top players?

Mini Mart Magnate

• HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,997 Captain
    https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/college-football-has-money-pay-players-college-football-playoff-proves-ncna833486

At least the 45 schools in the top tier.

How much and for what player ? Show me an example of a good payout for ALL college players... Asking because I think it would get very political, payoffs for players to attend certain schools, etc...
    I understand the kids struggling thru school, or 2 sit as a redshirt freshman. Everything is so about the bucks in life, now we can attach it to sports at college level.
    What about the cheerleaders, they are broke too ?

This will get thru at some point because it is being touted by the rich and famous. II seriously doubt it is because they feel sorry for the struggling inner city broke kid with worn out tennis shoes... Everyone should be aware of the real reason, yet will look right past the obvious.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,658 Admiral
    The article said $54k/yr I wouldn't go that high but $1000/mth would be nice to them.
    The article said $54k/yr I wouldn't go that high but $1000/mth would be nice to them.

That was just football based on revenue. What about basketball, baseball, and all the other sports?

Mini Mart Magnate

• Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 586 Officer
    That was just football based on revenue. What about basketball, baseball, and all the other sports?

Not to mention that sticky little issue with the equality of women's sports that must be adhered to per NCAA rules.
    What would they have gotten without it? Tell me their bright future without the free ride to college?

What do you think the college owes them for playing for four years?

Give me a number, that is reasonable and affordable with the number of college football and basketball players there are (we forget the other sports for now).

Many of these kids would have likely been high school drop outs with nothing without the skills to play sports. You act like they had a bright future and the college took that away form them. the College gave them an opportunity at least. It is more than they had without it.

Tell me where they would be without college athletics and what you think the university owes them. Do all the players get the same amount or do we have a bidding war among colleges for the top players?

The NCAA and college focus on eligibility rather education. Kept them eligible to play Saturday rather than educate them.
    The NCAA and college focus on eligibility rather education. Kept them eligible to play Saturday rather than educate them.

Try answering the question for a change. I disagree on the education part. I have met many football players from U.F.. Those that want an education, get one. Some kids you can't help. Very few are 4.0 students, but eligibility requires a 2.0.

But answer my questions I presented you if you think it is so bad for the athlete.

What should we pay the players and how is it split up?

Are they worse off than they not been given the chance to go to college? where would they be without that opportunity?

What was this bright future the college sports program robbed them of?

I say they are better off given the chance to go to college free of charge rather than end up with a GED and minimum wage job for life.

Mini Mart Magnate

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,032 AG
    You can't let the sharecroppers get uppity.

How would the plantation survive?
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    Try answering the question for a change. I disagree on the education part. I have met many football players from U.F.. Those that want an education, get one. Some kids you can't help. Very few are 4.0 students, but eligibility requires a 2.0.

But answer my questions I presented you if you think it is so bad for the athlete.

What should we pay the players and how is it split up?

Are they worse off than they not been given the chance to go to college? where would they be without that opportunity?

What was this bright future the college sports program robbed them of?

I say they are better off given the chance to go to college free of charge rather than end up with a GED and minimum wage job for life.

CFB is big business, at least for the school and the people that work for the program and the TV stations. Pay the players like employees, since they they are the labor that allows this big business to operate.
  • nole76nole76 Posts: 804 Officer

Years ago, colleges were criticized because they didn't recruit enough black athletes, and deprived them of the opportunity to get an education. Now, many top tier teams are 80% black and the criticism is that the colleges aren't paying them to play, and they are being exploited. Sounds to me like the typical liberal mindset. Nothing is ever enough.
    nole76 wrote: »
    Years ago, colleges were criticized because they didn't recruit enough black athletes, and deprived them of the opportunity to get an education. Now, many top tier teams are 80% black and the criticism is that the colleges aren't paying them to play, and they are being exploited. Sounds to me like the typical liberal mindset. Nothing is ever enough.

No business operates without paid labor. Do you question NCAA athletics is a big business? Maybe ask a coach that just signed a $5M shoe deal to make his players wear Nike gear.

Tell Aunt Jemima I said hey.
  • nole76nole76 Posts: 804 Officer
    No business operates without paid labor. Do you question NCAA athletics is a big business? Maybe ask a coach that just signed a $5M shoe deal to make his players wear Nike gear.

So if one has a dissenting opinion from you, that makes them a racist?
    CFB is big business, at least for the school and the people that work for the program and the TV stations. Pay the players like employees, since they they are the labor that allows this big business to operate.
    Another vague response. Answer the questions and quit pretending to be the crusader for black America, they don't want or need you.

Mini Mart Magnate

Another vague response. Answer the questions and quit pretending to be the crusader for black America, they don't want or need you.

What is vague or that you fail to understand about big business, labor, and capitalism? For you to assume you know more than me about what athletes need is more than a little pretentious.

There is no guarantee of an education or a job, or that an injury won't end their playing career. Let the free market work and let these kids find out how it works by getting a chance to share in the billions of dollars they generate every year.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    And I thought you had to have good grades to go to college?
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG

They are being paid. It’s called a degree.
    I have been told for 40plus years that if you do not have a college education you are basically worthless.