Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Cayo Costa hints?

I'm bringing my family to stay on Cayo Costa for several nights next week. My boys would sure like to catch some redfish or snook, but really anything that's eating is likely to keep them happy and that would be would be good IMO.

Does anyone mind sharing some advice on general areas and techniques we should try? They's 9 and 13, and not accomplished enough casters that I think they'll be able to skip baits into the Mangroves etc... But otherwise they are pretty capable anglers.

We'll be fishing in a 19' bay boat that a handles shallows up to 2 feet without troubles.

Thanks in advance for any help!

BL

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    It's due to get cold here with 2 successive cold fronts coming through Monday and Thursday which is gonna really put off the fishing for a bit. Reds have been very scattered lately and should disappear for awhile with these fronts. Snook fishing has been pretty good in the Cayo area, but they will move outta the beach area for the most part with this cold weather heading for water with more stable temps- think mud bottom creeks lined with mangroves or mud bottom canals with seawalls.

Bright sunny days after the fronts can find some fish in very shallow stuff warming up. Be careful with the negative tides we frequently have here at this time of year and check your tide charts so as to not tear up our sea grass. I would probably aim more toward Sheepshead/Snapper on pilings or Trout in drop-offs near flats.

Either way have fun with your kids and make some good memories.
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 265 Deckhand
    Westwall probably spends more time on the water than most, and his advice is always sound... I second it... not familiar with that area, but the general rules apply just about everywhere around here... Stay safe... with the cold its easy to get sick!
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 617 Officer
    Agree with the recommendation to shoot for sheepies and trout, these cold fronts are gonna shut just about everything else down. The sheepies however like the cold fronts, and it could be just what we need to bring those big breeders in thick. Hit docks or jetties with lots of crustacean growth and current if you can find it. Just started getting larger ones consistently this week, they are a lot of fun when they're all 16-25".
  • dcrdcr Posts: 365 Deckhand
    I've pulled some good sized snook and reds out of the lagoon south of the campground, but I've never fished it this time of year, could be a waste of time. If you don't mind going for a bit of a walk; it's a good nature hike and you'll be all alone. The gators are curious, but well behaved.
    If they get bored, catching something at the beach is usually pretty easy. Mostly garbage fish, but I've gotten snook in January, but then there's those cold fronts too. I've had success with shallow divers, swimbaits, and white bucktails.