Home Off Topic

Any Star Wars Nerds Here?

Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,532 Captain
Warning: this thread will no doubt contain spoilers for The Last Jedi. Read at your own risk.

So what did anyone think of it? Personally I wanted to be forced choked slowly by Vader after seeing it, I disliked it that much. But that’s just my 2 cents. What did you think and why?

Replies

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,496 Admiral
    Only one.
    I'm sure he will read this thread and just become giddy. He has his own storm trooper outfit...no kidding.
    He is a good person in spite of, what I consider to be.....his odd tendencies.
    He helps sick children in his spare time. We should all try to be better people.....like he does.

Regarding the movie....
    I probably shouldn't even respond to this thread....but...too late now.

I'm pretty sure I saw the first one and at least 1 more, but I don't know what it was called.
    The story just doesn't capture my imagination like it does some.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,351 AG
    I am a fan of Stars Wars but haven't seen the new one yet.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Have never seen a Star Wars movie! Don't plan to do so! :)
  • LuckyMrSwLuckyMrSw Posts: 3,208 Captain
    Not going to drop any spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet. But, I don't know. It was okay, but we were left wanting far more than was offered. Hopefully the last hand full of Rebels is supposed to tie up a few loose ends. Scale of 1-10, maybe a 6.5
    Please stop derailing my thread.
    `Forum Moderator`

Don't call each other names
    `Same Forum Moderator`
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Not a nerd however I do have a high midichlorian count thus I am very force sensitive.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,351 AG
    fins4me wrote: »
    Not a nerd however I do have a high midichlorian count thus I am very force sensitive.

I had to look that one up. Do you speak wookie?

How do you nerds keep op with all these things.

I know a guy into the Marvel movies and he keeps trying to explain the "Marvel Universe". I just watch for the entertainment.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

cadman wrote: »
    I had to look that one up. Do you speak wookie?

How do you nerds keep op with all these things.

I know a guy into the Marvel movies and he keeps trying to explain the "Marvel Universe". I just watch for the entertainment.
    Nope just Galactic Basic, non basic and Huttese.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    Actually my son was very much a Star Wars fan when he was younger (still is) and doubt anyone would ever call him a nerd. When he was little I would read Star Wars books to him. I have a weird memory and often useless factoids seem to stick around. I can Star Wars with the best of them without much effort.
    "Today is MINE"
    There were lots of holes in the plot of this last one but still entertaining.
    "Today is MINE"
  • tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    ******SPOILERS*******
    As a movie it was okay. As a StarWars fan I agree with the OP. They made Luke Skywalker into a sniveling brat. They turned Princess Leia into Mary Poppins. Not to mention the many half-baked and under developed storylines within the movie. I can go on but will leave it at that.
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 586 Officer
    I find this post's lack of originality....Disturbing.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,043 AG
    Is Spock in this one?
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,532 Captain
    I find this post's lack of originality....Disturbing.

Not as disturbing as I found TLJ’s terrible story choices.
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,187 Captain
    tag wrote: »
    ******SPOILERS*******
    As a movie it was okay. As a StarWars fan I agree with the OP. They made Luke Skywalker into a sniveling brat. They turned Princess Leia into Mary Poppins. Not to mention the many half-baked and under developed storylines within the movie. I can go on but will leave it at that.

Agreed. Changing directors every movies ruins any sort of continuity. Lots of reused story lines from the previous movies.

Another climactic throne room battle? How original.
  • MadbeachMadbeach On the riverPosts: 970 Officer
    I'll go see it in the theater when James Cameron directs one. Though, it would probably take 15 years to produce.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,671 Admiral
    I never cared for star wars. We went to the 1st one, it was okay for the time 1977. But I've never watched another one.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,532 Captain
    JKP wrote: »
    Agreed. Changing directors every movies ruins any sort of continuity. Lots of reused story lines from the previous movies.

Another climactic throne room battle? How original.

Continuity is what I care about. That’s what made Tolkien so great. He was so nerdy and persnickety about the continuity of the fantasy world he created, and even then he sometimes couldn’t keep it all straight. But for the most part his world and characters made sense within the logic of their own mythology.

I didn’t necessarily care for all the story choices J.J. Abrams made in The Force Awakens. But once made, the become a part of Star War’s mythology. Rian Johnson basically said “yeah everything that came before doesn’t matter.” That can make for an interesting individual movie but in this case it came at the price of torching the mythos of Star Wars.

“Let the past die, kill it if you have to” was the theme of the movie and was very much directed to fans, so we could “grow” by having the old Star Wars die. That’s ridiculous. Is it Star War’s job to make me uncomfortable and grow me as a person? I thought that’s what parents are for. I thought movies exist to make me exchange my hard earned money for getting entertained. I wasn’t entertained this time, and unless episode IX undoes the murder of Star Wars that this movie did, I’m not sure Star Wars could even entertain me again.

On a more positive note, I HIGHLY recommend the Blade Runner sequel for the nerdily inclined who want to see a sci-fi/fantasy mythos done right in a sequel by a director new to the franchise.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,671 Admiral
    My older brother loved "The Martian Chronicles" by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The same guy that wrote Tarzan. He had everyone one of the books. He got killed in 79 I don't know what happened to all his books. He was a prolific reader.

They didn't have all the stuff they have now back then.
  • ZecuraZecura Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Was left wanting after seeing it. Hopeful the next movie delivers the magic I'm used to from this series.
    I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet.

This too shall pass.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,087 Admiral
    I hear the Sequel will have the cast from Brazilian Hotties on Vacation as stand ins when needed.
    Should liven things up a bit..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,905 Admin
    It was too long and story line bumpy.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Gardawg wrote: »
    Is Spock in this one?

I think died while leading a group of Cylons in an attack on a Death Star with the Galactica
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,496 Admiral
    Griz wrote: »
    It was too long and story line bumpy.
    I could be wrong but.....isn't that why the SW nerds like it?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.