Braid- Kastking

Up north here, I mostly use Cortland and every once in a while PP when I’m catfishing for Flatheads or Blues.

Before my Florida Trip, I was in a rush and didn’t have a bunch of money, so I went on Amazon and noticed the good reviews and low prices on Kastking Braid.

It seemed fine. Does anyone have any thoughts on this braid, if you’ve used it, liked it, or trusted it?

If it works out, seems like it’s hard to beat the price.

Thankyou!

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,212 Captain
    I wouldn't use it
    You should have been here yesterday
  • RockslamRockslam Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    I've used it to good results in the bigger sizes 100+Lbs, the lighter stuff was questionable and had a few mystery break offs so I stopped using the light lbs.
  • srqsnookersrqsnooker Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I recently respooled a few reels with it and have not had any problems. Works just as good as the big name brands as far as I'm concerned
  • TaylormadeTaylormade Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    I bought some off Amazon (15#) and lost three fish due to the braid snapping. I left a nasty review on Amazon and they shipped me a spool of their 20# which was a lot better but still not great. I'll stick with the bigger names now.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,212 Captain
    You get what you pay for
    You should have been here yesterday
  • 410shotgunner410shotgunner Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    I bought some, tried it, had break offs, threw it out, not good.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    junk.
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 423 Deckhand
    Man, that’s crazy. Thanks for helping out with this guys! I sure was fooled by all the positive Amazon reviews. I wanted to ask you guys first to see what your take was. Now I thankfully know.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 370 Deckhand
    Have used Fireline from Berkley for over 15 years.One reason,every year go back to Midwest and
    Iowa to Spirit Lake where Berkley has outlet store and sells Fireline 150yds,#2 for $4.00/roll.#2
    because varying lengths 145-155yds.In the past,all braids were Spectra.Fireline is Dymema.
    Second reason,its caught and landed redfish +30",Snook a 44" and Tarpon 90-120lb.Has the
    braid broke-never,leaders-yes,knots failed-yes.And I prefer,14lb.
    Is it the best,let's just say it works for me and I have complete faith it always works for me.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 431 Deckhand
    10kman wrote: »
    Have used Fireline from Berkley for over 15 years.One reason,every year go back to Midwest and
    Iowa to Spirit Lake where Berkley has outlet store and sells Fireline 150yds,#2 for $4.00/roll.#2
    because varying lengths 145-155yds.In the past,all braids were Spectra.Fireline is Dymema.
    Second reason,its caught and landed redfish +30",Snook a 44" and Tarpon 90-120lb.Has the
    braid broke-never,leaders-yes,knots failed-yes.And I prefer,14lb.
    Is it the best,let's just say it works for me and I have complete faith it always works for me.

Question for 10kman....I recently spooled a reel with 14# Fireline and I've noticed a rubbing sound coming from the first eye on the rod. It casts great and I like the strength but the sound is bothering me. I use this real from a Kayak so it is very quiet. Have you experienced anything like that?
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 370 Deckhand
    Garysmo wrote: »
    Question for 10kman....I recently spooled a reel with 14# Fireline and I've noticed a rubbing sound coming from the first eye on the rod. It casts great and I like the strength but the sound is bothering me. I use this real from a Kayak so it is very quiet. Have you experienced anything like that?
    Couple of added things I do.Buy a product called Butterit from BPS.It's a silicone spray
    that when you spray on reel's braid it reduces wind knots,allows line to float on water and keeps
    line from sticking due to salt.Use double uni for braid to leader.Small as knot as possible.With this
    silicone spray allows braid to slide much easier thru guides.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 431 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info 10kman, I'll give it a try