Home Off Topic

File Gumbo

haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
Do you put the file in your pot or serve it on the side?

I have done both and prefer it "cooked". The wife and I have never experienced some of the negative effects I've heard about by adding it to the pot.

Replies

• ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    I was taught file gumbo was served as a condiment to place on the dish after it was cooked. File is the ground leaves of a young sassafrass tree.
    Deo Vindice
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,636 Admiral
    Dang, now I'm hungry for a big bowl of gumbo.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,820 Admiral
    Don't care for it.

I use roux instead.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,295 AG
    I always add it when the gumbo is finished right before i serve it. darkens up the gumbo and adds flavor. I like to omit okra until it's finished and then throw a handful of fried okra on top of the dish. I've also blackened the shrimp and thrown them on top too. comes out awesome. Little franks red on the side and a couple beers...
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • silvergsilverg Posts: 1,456 Officer
    Add right at the end just before serving. We cooked jambalaya, crawfish etouffee, and chicken, sausage and shrimp gumbo Christmas eve.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,352 Admiral
    Gardawg wrote: »
    Don't care for it.

I use roux instead.

X2
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    I always add it when the gumbo is finished right before i serve it. darkens up the gumbo and adds flavor. I like to omit okra until it's finished and then throw a handful of fried okra on top of the dish. I've also blackened the shrimp and thrown them on top too. comes out awesome. Little franks red on the side and a couple beers...

Man, my mouth is watering
    You should have been here yesterday
    Man, my mouth is watering

I may have to make some for NYE.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    NOW WAIT A MINUTE! I'm as pedigreed Southern as you can get, and while I very well know what Gumbo is and like it, I've never heard of "File" Gumbo!----Tender young leaves off a Sassafras Tree??? Being a forester as well as being Southern, where are you going to find "tender young Sassafras leaves" this time of year :huh
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,105 Admiral
    Jambalaya, crawfish pie and file (fee lay) gumbo. Everyone knows that song.

The Sassafras leaves are dried and ground to a powder.
    They are not fresh tender and young. The poster may have been dreaming of something else.:wink
    At least that is the file that I have used.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

File is made from the leaves of a young sassafras tree. They are dried and ground. Google it
    Deo Vindice
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    Gardawg wrote: »
    Don't care for it.

I use roux instead.

How the hell do you make gumbo without making a roux?

File will act as a thickening agent so adjust your liquid accordingly

I prefer my file added to the pot.
    And I prefer my Community with chickory
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,822 Admin
    Either okra or file, never both in the same dish.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    Bobber wrote: »

IDK I always start out with a butter/flour roux and let that get a nice chocolaty brown before i do anything else. I used to use vegetable oil but butter is so much better. Burns easier so def more work.
    A perfect roux can be made in the oven, much easier and no constant stirring or worry about burning because everyone knows a burned roux is a ruined roux.

Heat an oven to 350°. Whisk equal parts canola oil and flour in an 8-qt. Dutch oven; bake, uncovered, until the color reaches the requisite dark brown, about 1½–2 hours. Then simply transfer the pot from the oven to your stove and make your gumbo.
    Deo Vindice
    1200-610970-substitute-gumbo-file-powder.jpg
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

• haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain

IDK about any gumbo without a roux. I use olive oil in my roux and the gumbo is a Justin Wilson recipe my Granny has made forever. I also put the file in the last 30 mins and then sprinkle some on the rice before spooning the gumbo over the top.

Making dirty rice for round 2 tonight! :thumbsup
  • BibBib Posts: 2,357 Captain
    who has the best recipes for gumbo, jambalaya and étouffée and can post them? have never made any of them.
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 479 Deckhand
    on the side. this post is hilarious.
    le se' bon ton roulet

?

I never said I made it without roux.

I said I made it without file gumbo.