Fowey Light Area Report

Sat fished the wrecks just to the north of Fowey and south to Triumph for half day. Gogs on flat lines, pilchards mid depth and on bottom along with split tail gogs from 90' - 160'. Kept one barely legal mutton, 1 small king, 1 decent 8# red grouper. Released one undersized mutton and a nice sail...the pic below makes him look like he was eyeing us and checking us out. Had several king cutoffs on 30' mono mutton leaders on the bottom.

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,213 Officer
    catchemup wrote: »
    Sat fished the wrecks just to the north of Fowey and south to Triumph for half day. Gogs on flat lines, pilchards mid depth and on bottom along with split tail gogs from 90' - 160'. Kept one barely legal mutton, 1 small king, 1 decent 8# red grouper. Released one undersized mutton and a nice sail...the pic below makes him look like he was eyeing us and checking us out. Had several king cutoffs on 30' mono mutton leaders on the bottom.

What makes you think the cut offs were kings and not Cuda's ?
    Giimoozaabi
  • catchemupcatchemup Posts: 102 Deckhand
    "What makes you think the cut offs were kings and not Cuda's ?"

Fair question.... three reasons:
    -kings will frequently be found deep [the cutoffs were not on the way down or way up but when the lead was just off the bottom]
    -had two cutoffs within moments of catching the lone king on the bottom
    -kings are more likely to hit pilchards than cuda's
    If I was fishing a gog on a straight mono leader on top...I would never now. So while I can't be entirely sure with the bottom cut offs ...let's just say I'm 99% sure.