CR 12/23

Not much to report unfortunately. Had 4 strikes all day and only landed one. Was fishing mostly around the power plant. Water temps ranged from about 69-72.
Very dangerous boating conditions out there. I fished the incoming so I didn't get on the water until about 11 but the fog was thick as hell. If you didn't have a GPS you would have been driving aimlessly because there were no visible landmarks. At one point I decided to put on my marker lights. After doing so I started on my way only to find out I was heading in the complete opposite direction. Also found a sand bar, or it found me, that I got temporarily beached on. That's always a surprise when you come to a grinding halt. About 4:30 it all cleared up so the ride back to the ramp was much easier.
I'll tell ya it's spooky out there when you can hear a boat on plane going by but you can't see them.

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,637 Admiral
    I am always amazed at the rec boats that run WOT in those conditions, most with no radar nor running lights.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,431 Officer
    Nice to get out. Way better than finding an oyster bar like i did last time I fishedin the fog. Anumber1 is right about people running wot in the fog....nuts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,400 Moderator
    Up on plane in that kind of fog is a recipe for disaster . I've had them go right by me and never seen the boat. Just felt the wake..
    I can't do it. We came close to hitting a giant tanker anchored out from Tampa. Couldn't see it , they turned the radar on after that. :cool:
    "You'll get your weather"
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,386 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    I am always amazed at the rec boats that run WOT in those conditions, most with no radar nor running lights.

Scary stuff. Especially when you can hear them and have no idea where they are coming from or where they are going.
    tankard wrote: »
    Scary stuff. Especially when you can hear them and have no idea where they are coming from or where they are going.
    I run my radar and lights all day on the foggy days.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,083 Officer
    When I went out last week with a visitor, I couldn't see marker 2A and I was only 50' from it. I stayed in the bay until the fog lifted. I'm just nervous about being hit by someone speeding.
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    The fog is definitely some scary stuff on the water, buddy and I were out on a clear day, but a front moving in brought the fog with it. That was a LONG ride back in, I was actually shutting the motor off periodically just to listen for near by boats
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,501 Captain

You can see good with a tower.

And young eyes.:grin
    nick wrote: »

ok
    nick wrote: »

and I can see you well with the radar and make you poop your pants when I buzz the tower...lol
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,722 Captain
    and I can see you well with the radar and make you poop your pants when I buzz the tower...lol

My money is on Art....
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,501 Captain
    Hope the snapper under your dock freeze!