Caught my first snook today

scallopscallop Posts: 32 Greenhorn
Only 19.5 " but it was a snook. Total surprise, hit a live shrimp meant for a snapper. Even made a couple jumps, now I want a big one! Also caught more 10-14" mangroves then I could count, some mojhara and a 14" green parrot. Great fun for an Ohio boy.

Replies

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 389 Deckhand
    i've never caught one, but i think is addicting. you're doomed.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 423 Deckhand
    Congratulations Scallop! That’s Awesome! Continued fun to you man!
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,204 Captain
    Nice work, those little mangroves are awesome fried whole.
    You should have been here yesterday
    Scallop, that’s what i was catching the most over there as well, was the Mangroves. There was tons. I tried to catch one of those parrot fish down there but I couldn’t get one to bite.

We’re you fishing the bottom or using a float?

Sorry I missed you while I was down there. Good luck on the rest of your trip man.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 420 Deckhand
    Congrats.....they are definitely a fun fish to catch.
  • scallopscallop Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    I was under the bridge near the restaurant at John Lloyd Park. Moved to the docks and got ate alive by no see ums. Watched a guy cleaning fish toss a line and he landed a pretty big snook.

Was hoping to run into you greyreef, perhaps next time.
    Oh, was bottom fishing, live shrimp on a knocker rig. Put a cut grunt on my heavy rig and fought something for about 10 minutes before it bit me off. Had to have been a nurse or a ray as it hugged the bottom and just pulled.
    Excellent pics and great job once again scallop! You sure did get a parrot fish man! What size hook did you get it on? Maybe that was the key. I was using too big of hooks I think.
    Those two came on a sabiki tipped with small pieces of shrimp. Typically that is what I get them on, when trying to get some grunts for bait. Tiny hooks for sure, about a body segment size piece of shrimp on each hook. Sometimes I cut my sabikis in half to make more manageable from the shore.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 666 Officer
    Just like that snook, now you're hooked! Congratulations
  • brpbrp Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Yeah, you're hooked for sure. Congrats!
    Sweet! Thanks man!