Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Clearwater Pass odor

Noticed a strong fish odor in Clearwater Pass yesterday, near the bridge, both when I went out around 10 a.m. and on my return several hours later. Any ideas? I always worry about the return of red tide.

Replies

• drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,538 Captain
    Went through around 10 am and came back through around 1:30. Did not happen notice any odor. Bait stayed healthy in my live well so I doubt if it was red tide.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    The info is not as real time nor as specific as your reports, but here's a good link to save for future reference: http://myfwc.com/REDTIDESTATUS

You can also sign up for the reports to be sent to you via e-mail, which is very handy.

Anyway, here is this past week's FWC report released yesterday:

In Southwest Florida over the past week, K. brevis was observed at background concentrations in two samples collected from Pinellas County, background to very low concentrations in five samples collected from Sarasota County, background to medium concentrations in five samples collected from Charlotte County, background to low concentrations in fourteen samples collected from Lee County, and background to very low concentrations in ten samples collected from Collier County.

SWmap1220.JPG

Hope this helps...Mike
  • jdl1948jdl1948 Posts: 120 Deckhand
    I have the red tide site bookmarked and check it occasionally; used to receive the updates by email but evidently got dropped off the distribution list for some reason.
    I knew nothing was reported but I definitely smelled something fishy, and I've smelled it at that location in the past. Wonder if it could be from the piers on the south end of the bridge, or bird poop on the bridge supports (although the weather seems too cool for poop to get very ripe). Maybe just a sensitive nose.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Am I missing something? Those numbers look a little higher than I'd like to see
    You should have been here yesterday