Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Day 2 near the pipe...not quite as good but not bad...12/20/17

Went out again yesterday. No fog today so that was nice. Tried some different spots in the same general area. Roughly 34 miles out from Egmont 275 degrees'ish.

Got plenty of bait at the Fort Desoto Piers. Tough couple days on my net. First throw yesterday must have wrapped around a rock or something. Got the net back but broke some of the brail lines. Jury rigged those back together and got enough bait for the day. Then yesterday did the same darn thing in a different spot. Never had issues there before but snagged rock piles two days in a row. I think santa is bringing me a new net or two.

Blacked out the well though and off we go. Dead calm going out. Like a lake.

First spot and immediately fish are in the box. Mango a HUGE lane, and then the ARS showed up. They are fun but since they are endangered and all, we played with them a while then headed to spot #2. Had a flat line out but no takers.

Spot 2 was closer to the pipe and the shows on the screen were great. Tide was much stronger today and we were having issues with the lighter jigs but I like to try and mimic what the chum is doing so I stuck with the lighter jig. The other fisherman switched to a heavier weight to get up and down.

Put a flat line out and within a few minutes that beautiful ZZZZZZZ sound of the drag screaming. Was hoping for a tuna but turned out to be about a 25 lb kingfish. Some of the guys wanted some so we kept it. Put the flat line back out and ZZZZZZ again. Biggest king I have ever been a part of. This thing had some shoulders. When I saw it at first I was hoping it was a huge cobia but none the less it was a big darn king. I am guestimating 40+ pounds. It was thick. We weren't keeping it so took some pictures in the water but let it go. Pictures don't do it justice though. It was huge...

Here was the smaller one we kept, but still a nice king.

While that was going, we were picking off the bottom dwellers. Had a 23" gag plus a few more short gags, several short scamp, almaco jacks, probably 50 or more endangered ARS, several short red grouper, one nice keeper red grouper, a nice flag, a schoolmaster snapper (first one we have caught, pretty fish) and of course Mangos. The ARS stayed away pretty much at the second spot but we caught and released our fair share of those as well.

Bait of choice was 3" white baits. Using 3/8 oz jigs then a little heavier to get to the bottom. Long 20 lb flouro leaders with 20 lb power pro main line. Kings were caught on pinfish.

Haul wasn't quite as good as the day before but not bad at all. Handing out fish at the cleaning station to neighbors to keep them happy with me.

Tight lines....
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• olboneolbone St. PetePosts: 36 Greenhorn
    Second fish up from the bottom sure looks like a mutton snappa.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,389 Captain
    I didn't notice it until we were cleaning. It had very yellow fins and when I looked it up this morning, It looked like a schoolmaster. I could be wrong on that though. Never caught one before, that is for sure. If it is not legal...oops...

I agree now, it seems to be a mutton...

Says 16" limit which he was for sure so looks like no laws were broken...
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 633 Officer
    Nice work both days! I thought one of the fish from the first trip also looked like a mutton. Also looked to be at least 16".
    I think you are right again. I didn't notice the one on Tuesday at all. I knew we had a big lane but didn't notice the other "different' looking one. Who knew, I have never caught those before...at least I didn't think I had....Thanks for the keen eyesight...
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Flatlines pay off again!

Glad to hear you guys did well.

Happy Holidays to you and yours, Paul....Mike
  • suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 186 Deckhand
    I've never gotten a mutton off our coast, would love to see them start showing up!
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    nice
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,022 Officer
    suprasteve wrote: »
    I've never gotten a mutton off our coast, would love to see them start showing up!

I've had a few but usually never much size.
  • Icatcher22Icatcher22 Posts: 320 Deckhand
    Care to share where exactly you hung up at desoto? Probably abandon washed up stone crab traps. Happened to me last stone crab season about 30ft off the front of potters. Threw on a **** empty stone crab trap...next.

That place has become a roulette game between the dolphins and the bottom.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 865 Officer
    My first thought looking at your picture was, "I think that's a mutton..." Definitely not a schoolmaster.

I've caught muttons around the elbow before (BIG muttons), but haven't seen many closer in. One reason we don't see muttons as much on our coast, in general, is that we tend to fish out structure in ways that avoids muttons. They spend a lot of their time a fair distance from the actual structure, foraging over sand and shell hash and aren't as locked onto the structure as mangrove snapper, which is what we tend to focus on here. A lot of times when muttons are caught on large head boats, it'll be the guys on the bow who are farther from the structure. I've also noticed while fishing and diving, muttons tend to hang out upcurrent of structure for whatever reason.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,262 Moderator
    Will, you never disappoint.
    Nice holiday bookend, Paul, WTG
    Icatcher22 wrote: »
    Care to share where exactly you hung up at desoto? Probably abandon washed up stone crab traps. Happened to me last stone crab season about 30ft off the front of potters. Threw on a **** empty stone crab trap...next.

That place has become a roulette game between the dolphins and the bottom.

The first day it was the stall to the gulf side of the middle pavillion. Wasn't underneath the pier, kind of on the corner of the pavillion. It was on the bay/south side of the pier.

The second day it was on the other side of the pier. Away from the pier but that same pavillion. Kind of towards the fallen down tower from irma but a little closer to the beach than that. Probably 50-75' from the pier going north.

I was wondering if some of the pier fisherman might be throwing some stuff down there for their own structure but that may just be my pessimistic side. I have thrown the net all over that pier and not had that issue then two days in a row....Oh well...
    Interesting stuff. I have never caught one. The reason I thought it was a school master was because the fins were really really yellow and when I googled that was a telltale sign. I didn't notice the dot though. Pretty cool though. Yellow tails the last couple years that I didn't really catch before now muttons. Really only seen those on fishing shows in the keys. Would love to get those going up here.

Tight lines to everyone. Have a great christmas...and new years. I think I am off the water for a couple weeks unless I can sneak out when my wife looks the other way.