Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Couple of Nice Gags on the troll 12/17/17

Took my buddy Jeff out for a little fishing. Mainly a preparatory run for some trips with my brother this week. Fuel, check for bait, etc...

Hit some rock piles and got a few small mangos and undersized gags. Then some divers showed up so we boogied. Tried port manatee area. Thought it was a really slow outgoing tide so could chum up some mangos but the tide was so odd it wasn't even strong enough to get the boat tight on the anchor and there was ZERO wind. So gave up on that pretty quickly and thought we would troll a bit.

Had some pretty intense pressure because Jeff's mom was expecting some dinner. Troll down tide for a mile or so then decided to turn around. Let out another 10-15 feet of line to get back down to the bottom going against the tide and in pretty short order get a monster hit. At first I thought I snagged but then realized nope, that is a big fish. Grab the pole get him under control then shift to neutral and pull him in.

If not the biggest, definitely one of the biggest I have caught trolling.

Came in at 29+ inches.

So, we go back and troll through the same spot and about 100 yards further up we were welcomed by another monster hit and Jeff got to reel one in.

We were probably trolling 4.5 mph over ground against the tide which was minimal. 130' of line out to get the #3 planer to the bottom. 4 oz jig head with a pretty stout 8/0 hook and a glow in the dark curly tail.

Two of the best gags I have caught out trolling. Only two hits we got on the troll but some good dinners coming out of that and momma is happy....

Tight lines. Will be doing some trips on Tuesday and Wednesday with my brother so hopefully will have some good reports.
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• LightmanLightman Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    CaptainBly wrote: »
    Took my buddy Jeff out for a little fishing. Mainly a preparatory run for some trips with my brother this week. Fuel, check for bait, etc...

Hit some rock piles and got a few small mangos and undersized gags. Then some divers showed up so we boogied. Tried port manatee area. Thought it was a really slow outgoing tide so could chum up some mangos but the tide was so odd it wasn't even strong enough to get the boat tight on the anchor and there was ZERO wind. So gave up on that pretty quickly and thought we would troll a bit.

Had some pretty intense pressure because Jeff's mom was expecting some dinner. Troll down tide for a mile or so then decided to turn around. Let out another 10-15 feet of line to get back down to the bottom going against the tide and in pretty short order get a monster hit. At first I thought I snagged but then realized nope, that is a big fish. Grab the pole get him under control then shift to neutral and pull him in.

If not the biggest, definitely one of the biggest I have caught trolling.

Came in at 29+ inches.

So, we go back and troll through the same spot and about 100 yards further up we were welcomed by another monster hit and Jeff got to reel one in.

We were probably trolling 4.5 mph over ground against the tide which was minimal. 130' of line out to get the #3 planer to the bottom. 4 oz jig head with a pretty stout 8/0 hook and a glow in the dark curly tail.

Two of the best gags I have caught out trolling. Only two hits we got on the troll but some good dinners coming out of that and momma is happy....

Tight lines. Will be doing some trips on Tuesday and Wednesday with my brother so hopefully will have some good reports.
    Nice work

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 316 Deckhand
    Boom! :fishing