problems with zara spook jrs

polliwogpolliwog Posts: 227 Deckhand
I have just had the 2nd zara spook jr loose the tail hook. I had both on a medium size snook which shouldn't pull the eye out of the back of the plug. Very weird. I'm questioning if these are up to the task if snook fishing. Just to be clear it was the eye holding the hook and split ring that pulled out.:huh

Replies

• Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 482 Deckhand
    Wow , never had that happen on any spook. Just hooks bend out on big pressure. Why I use owner hooks. I would take them back to store U bought them from, or company.
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    The spook Jr's really aren't made for big saltwater fish. I have a dozen of them hanging in my garage missing the tail hook from big fish lost. I'm a glutton for punishment but in my area they match the hatch much better than than the bigger spook and make a much less splash down when I'm sightfishing in calm water. Unscrew them and re-screw it with a dab of gorilla glue, it will hold up better.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 227 Deckhand
    I also changed out the hooks,originals are pretty pathetic. The trouble with the tail hook setup is the plastic seems very thin and just breaks with any real pressure. I have not had front hooks pull out.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 379 Deckhand
    If Polliwog says he lost fish because of rear hook,then he has had some trophy over slot fish.
    I use Spooks Jr.all the time and never lost a fish due to hook failure.But I do replace with Owner
    extra strong Bleeding Red.Also I prefer lighter braid and leaders so those may give first.
  • Those eyelets are called hook hangers. The Super Spook Jr.has them held in place by plastic pegs. Many molded plastic lures use this construction. I have some Spook Jr.s that have almost no paint and chunks of plastic shaved off from fish trying to destroy them. They still float and catch fish. I put heavy duty split rings and 4X treble hooks on all of them. Never had a hook hanger fail. You may have picked up a bad batch. The other possibility is that you are locking down your drag with high test braid and leader. If this is the case a relatively small fish could lunge with enough force to break the plastic peg that holds that tail hanger in place. The solution to that problem is to invest in through wired lures or ease up a bit on the drag. Anybody looking for a good alternative to the Heddon Spook should give the Yo-Zuri 3DB Pencil a try. A bit pricey but excellent fish catcher.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,049 Officer
    After I lost my first fish on a Zara Spook Puppy I would unscrew the eyes, put super glue on them and screw em back in - solves the problem nicely.
    Ok, I think I just solved my problem, I have been fishing docks the last few weeks. i have managed to hit more a number of pilings when casting. I think smacking the pilings either weekend the tail hook or knocked it off. My last snook was hooked on the front hook ,but the tail hook was gone. You guys got me to thinking this through and i think that's the issue. Moral is don't hit anything hard when casting little spooks.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,049 Officer
    I've usually had them unscrew when fighting fish, not from bomping them on docks - I typically flats fish...
    Come on guys if fishing docks know U got to lock down to get them out of there. Little Zaras were not made for that.Hand to hand combat is what it I call it.Sometimes U win sometimes U lose around docks. Price of the game.Nothing worse than throwing 10$ + lure and hitting piling and watch it crack. Game of fame, get'em
    Bite, you are so right, I will be going heavier now. Top dogs jrs are pretty tough. We'll see how long they last tomorrow. LOLs
  • Knot LeftKnot Left Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    polliwog wrote: »
    I have just had the 2nd zara spook jr loose the tail hook. I had both on a medium size snook which shouldn't pull the eye out of the back of the plug. Very weird. I'm questioning if these are up to the task if snook fishing. Just to be clear it was the eye holding the hook and split ring that pulled out.:huh

I think the quality of the spooks over the last few years has deteriorated. I love them but find they dont hold up that well compared to what they used to be. I like to use them for cudas and I have had more than a few destroyed by a single big crash where the plug got a leak and water got inside ruining the action. I expect over the course of a day or two of fishing one hard, it will be worn out and time to throw away. I find if they last more than a few days, they always start leaking water.
    For snook windcheaters were bought out too. quality not same any more. Do any of U remember the old wooden Zara spooks? could use them for ever.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,864 Captain
    Skitterwalks hold up better in my experience.
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,211 Officer
    I like skitters, but had too many crack and get water-logged. Good action and sound though. Spook jrs are pretty durable, but they can't last long when crashing into docks. I have used them on the outside of docks, but too many misses. Hook-up ratio not as good as say a jig skipped under docks. Change those hooks out of the package. VMC 4X for me. Best deal that I have found.
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • Skinny RunningSkinny Running Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    The old wooden spooks were the best. The plastic ones are basically throw away after a short time in use.