Grass flats Cobia sight fishing

Every once in a while I still get a chance to capitalize on what I would consider an Awesome catch. It's not all about the fish itself it's about the manner in the way the fish was caught and the hunt that led up to its capture.
I took a day to cruise up north a bit with a buddy and his beaver tail in towe, the mission fly fishing for reds, snook and Tarpon. Luckily I brought my spinning rod and was able to make the best of an ideal scenario of catching a 38 inch cobia we saw cruising behind a ray in 2 ft of water while poling a grass flat throwing a DOA Shrimp looking for schools of reds with a cobia in the back of my mind. Finally saw a ray then Bam there it was right behind the ray cruising. First cast watched him eat and the race was on. Definitely one of my favorite catches ever. Tear em up!!19b336d22e76d338c50e69f0759f76b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
southwest florida fishing guide in the beautiful 10k islands, everglades and more www.Joesnook.com

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,013 Officer
    Congrats Joe. I bet that was heck of a fight.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,001 Captain
    Every now and then we encounter similar scenarios up inside Whitewater bay - the last time we were in similar real shallow waters and the cobe was following a ten foot long sawfish (the cobe was literally riding its back...). Doesn't happen often enough as far as I'm concerned...

Great catch, Joe.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Capt.JSuLCapt.JSuL Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Nice!
    Capt. Jason Sullivan
    www.RisingTideCharters.com
    (954)864-0592
  • LurchyLurchy Posts: 374 Deckhand
    Wow. Just wow
  • ShedheadShedhead Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Don't know you from Adam.. but I've been fishing long enough to know.. sometimes getting the strike after recognizing something.. then adjusting. then it happens like it is suppose to.. well its.. fulfilling.. kinda confirmation that yeah I do know what I'm doing.. once in a whlie.. occasionally..

Maybe

Nice job and congrats. :)
    But hey dare, what do I know.. I'm just a Yankee salmon fisherman.. or no? See some of my pictures on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BDMhg_NKD21/... search jamers_h
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 804 Officer
    Very nice!!
    Jason :USA
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,726 Admiral
    Buddy of mine use to run the Caxambas Boat Ramp on Marco Island, caught one about 50 pounds off the dock one day...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • yakhunteryakhunter Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Very cool!