Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

50 Mile Offshore trip

Went to my usual spot in Venice when the weather down by me (fort myers) doesn't look so good. First loaded up the livewell with over 50 pinfish and started heading offshore. Caught a bunch of red snapper and red grouper as usual. Waves were a lot bigger than predicted but I knew it was supposed to calm down as the day went on. Took us about an hour and 45 minutes to reach our destination. And there were 4+ footers when we got to the first spot. We knew it would be a very slow and rough ride back in, going against the waves, if it didn't calm down. Luckily the fishing, or catching rather on this trip, was non stop. Our very first drop two of us got instantly hooked up on a red snapper and a red grouper.

The wind and waves calmed down as the day went on and it was eventually around 1-1.5 footers (This video is towards the end of the day so it is more calm). Came home with one shy of a 4 persons limit of red grouper and a nice 22 inch mangrove snapper. Caught over 20 red snapper during this trip. For sure need to go back to this place when they are in season!

Enjoy the video and please subscribe! Also watch out for my next video, there will be more variety. Yellowtail, almaco jack, amberjack, mangrove snapper, red grouper and red snapper.

Replies

• teamfiveteamfive Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    Nice catch ! I've never had to go 50 miles to get grouper! Hopefully find out next week !
  • csheridan6159csheridan6159 Posts: 107 Deckhand
    I dont "have" to but I like to. Everything is bigger out there any time of the year. I am almost guaranteed to catch the boats limit everytime I go out there. We were one off of a 5 person limit.

Instead of staying close where everyone else goes and being lucky to catch 1 nice grouper all day. I get non stop action. Plus there are other things you can catch out that far that you don't in close.
    teamfive wrote: »
    Nice catch ! I've never had to go 50 miles to get grouper! Hopefully find out next week !

You should be able to catch them within 10 miles of shore right now. Just have to pick through a bunch of shorts. Might as well go deep where the big boys live.

Ive caught 33 inchers 28 miles offshore during the summer even, so for sure do not have to go that far out.
  • dodger31dodger31 Ft MyersPosts: 228 Deckhand
    How big of a boat? That is a long trip for a single 150 hp. Nice fish!
  • nickmonickmo Posts: 24 Deckhand
    Another great trip and video. Keep them coming.
    dodger31 wrote: »
    How big of a boat? That is a long trip for a single 150 hp.

21 foot. With reliability of engines these days I am not too worried, that seems to be an old way of thinking. My favorite "quote" I hear all the time regarding this is "Everytime you get in your car you don't worry about only having one engine do you?" If weather starts kicking up I head closer inshore also. I also feel better that with my VHF radio setup I can hear and communicate with the coast guard all the way up to saint pete and all the way east to Miami. Also have Sea Tow if it does break down.

Only thing I am missing is an EPRIB, which is on the short list of things to get.

On nice days the fastest I have gotten out there is a little bit over an hour. The longest was almost 2 haha.
    nickmo wrote: »
    Another great trip and video. Keep them coming.

Thanks! These were some of the smaller fish from the trip, but there were some decent ones in there as well.

Next video should be a lot more exciting since there will be a better variety of fish.
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 218 Deckhand
    You'll get a big range of opinions on this topic. I am old, so I guess I am allowed to think the "old way" with my opinion. I think 50 miles offshore in that size boat is pushing the safety envelope. 50 miles offshore is also a pretty long way to be relying on VHF. Sometimes it will work, but maybe not always at that range. Everything can fail, even modern engines, and there are other systems on that boat that can fail besides the engine. For example, if the hose connections to your through hull fittings are not double clamped, then a $1 hose clamp failure can sink you. I have also seen battery cables fail, and there are other things too. And if my single-engine car quits, I can walk home.
    21 foot. With reliability of engines these days I am not too worried, that seems to be an old way of thinking. My favorite "quote" I hear all the time regarding this is "Everytime you get in your car you don't worry about only having one engine do you?" If weather starts kicking up I head closer inshore also. I also feel better that with my VHF radio setup I can hear and communicate with the coast guard all the way up to saint pete and all the way east to Miami. Also have Sea Tow if it does break down.

Only thing I am missing is an EPRIB, which is on the short list of things to get.

On nice days the fastest I have gotten out there is a little bit over an hour. The longest was almost 2 haha.
  • AndrewFLAndrewFL Posts: 57 Deckhand
    You have to get an EPIRB!!!!!!
    I enjoy your videos, But ANYTHING can happen 50miles offshore. Maybe this picture will change your thought process.
  • teamfiveteamfive Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    I do run about 30 some miles off Venice occasionally, the 257 seafox has twin engines and is a older boat, and have had many problems. In saying that I bought the Delorme Inreach from garmin . I can text with it gps, ect. It has a sos. Button I can contact coast hairs with the push of a button. It's sends my location . Distress . For 350$ it's a cheap peace of mind with my family on board. I would like to go offshore further if we had 2 boats . Pm me. Lol. I will be down next Wednesday. I use to have a number at 60 miles from a charter friend best snapper hole in the gulf .
  • DigitalchaosDigitalchaos Posts: 80 Deckhand
    If you are serious about going offshore loke that buy an epirb and register it i spend alot of tome 20 to 55 moles out will not go with out 1. Cheap insurance
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,621 Admiral
    Know what you mean about way off shore. Well worth the ride. Safe enough for the experienced angler.
    Excellent, well edited, video. Thanks for sharing.
    I do run about 30 some miles off Venice occasionally, the 257 seafox has twin engines and is a older boat, and have had many problems. In saying that I bought the Delorme Inreach from garmin . I can text with it gps, ect. It has a sos. Button I can contact coast hairs with the push of a button. It's sends my location . Distress . For 350$ it's a cheap peace of mind with my family on board. I would like to go offshore further if we had 2 boats . Pm me. Lol. I will be down next Wednesday. I use to have a number at 60 miles from a charter friend best snapper hole in the gulf .

My VHF radio has the same function. I have my MMSI number saved in my radio, just hit the distress button and it will send out my MMSI (has boat info) and my GPS coordinates. My VHF radio also has its own separate GPS system so if my fish finders die for whatever reason I will still be able to use my radio for GPS coordinates. That is something most people don't think about. They just hook up their radios to their fish finders and rely on GPS from them.

Also that was my main reason for buying a brand new boat. You are a lot less likely to have issues with it, If I had something older I would be weary of taking it offshore until I put a lot of hours on it so I could trust it.
    If you are serious about going offshore loke that buy an epirb and register it i spend alot of tome 20 to 55 moles out will not go with out 1. Cheap insurance

Yeah I for sure need to get one. The main thing is just to pay attention at all times to what is going on around you and dont wait until the last minute to start heading in if you see a storm coming at you. Especially during the rainy season. I only go out there if the waves and weather don't look bad.
    harbison wrote: »
    Know what you mean about way off shore. Well worth the ride. Safe enough for the experienced angler.
    Excellent, well edited, video. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah if you have the experience. People that do not have the experience are usually the ones terrified to go out that far. I mean I am not that old but I have been driving boats since I was 10. And have been in some pretty nasty stuff with my father so I know what to do when stuff goes south. As always anything can happen. I could be 10 miles offshore and my boat just starts sinking. You can't let fear control your life.

Also thank you for the comments about the video!
  • chicochico Punta Gorda Posts: 563 Officer

I second the Delorme Inreach!! Don't leave shore without it!
  • youngeryounger Posts: 54 Deckhand
    What is with all these armchair “captains” dishing out unsolicited advice? Let the man enjoy telling his story about a nice day on the water without being berated by self proclaimed experts.
    Brian Young, Realtor
    Five Star Realty of Charlotte County Inc., Broker
    [email protected]
    www.fivestarrealty.com
    941-769-3803
    younger wrote: »
    What is with all these armchair “captains” dishing out unsolicited advice? Let the man enjoy telling his story about a nice day on the water without being berated by self proclaimed experts.

Thank you Younger. Sadly I am having **** issues in my Envoy so need to fix that before I can head back out. Taking it in to a few places this thursday to get a few more estimates before I pick a place. However while family was down over the holidays I did still take the boat out by renting a truck. Sadly the weather was really crappy (15+mph winds) so we only could go out a few miles and just caught grunts and sheepshead.

The weather seems to still look crappy for the next forseable future so hopefully soon that changes so I can get back to catching monsters!

***On a side note, does anyone know of any good transmission shops that do trustworthy work?
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 208 Deckhand
    What area? At my job we use Lee County Transmission in Fort Myers. They do good work and stand by their repairs
    Serotonin wrote: »
    What area? At my job we use Lee County Transmission in Fort Myers. They do good work and stand by their repairs

I am in the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area. I did call Lee County Transmission and they said $2,200-$2,500 and its $65 for them to just check it out. I did call AAMCO and they could not give me anything over the phone but I am taking it there on thursday morning and they are checking it out for free and giving me an estimate. Dealer said 3-3.5k for a re-manufactured **** from GM. The local shop I trust the most said 3,760 :rotflmao so that's not happening. There is a guy off del prado that works for a transmission shop that does work on the side (after hours) that said he can do it for 1500 with a 3 year/30k mile warranty but that seems sketchy to me haha.

There are at least two things wrong with it, one of the solenoids (no big deal just drop the pan and change it) But the big issue is the torque converter. Obviously need to remove the **** in order to replace that. Well it has 150k miles on it if they are taking the **** out I want them to do a full rebuild while they are at it because who knows in 20k more miles something else might go wrong with it and then I have to pay for all that labor to take it out again.