Does braid color matter when surf or jetty fishing?

Getting the line for my surf and jetty setups. Does it really matter what color I use? Like, would a certain color spook any fish. Or should I not make a big deal about it and just buy whatever color.

What do you guys prefer and why?

Replies

• nickmonickmo Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    I've thought about that too, I'm using a 15' or so fluoro leader so I don't think it really matters. That being said, I wouldn't use that fluorescent stuff.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 2,007 Captain
    Absolutely does not matter at all. The best fisherman I know uses bright yellow and he can load up a boat in a matter of a few hours. I just caught a 36" snook using bright red. Caught two keeper reddrum recently, using blue line. Down in Bull Bay I caught a nice spanish using bright yellow. I tend to use bright colored lines, it is easier to keep track of where my bait/lure is.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,239 Moderator
    ^ What he said. I use yellow since it's easier for me to see. Since you, are using a leader, no need to try to camouflage the line
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,321 Officer
    I agree will all of the above it does not matter I use white.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 566 Officer
    I thought Red was supposed to disappear in the water due to light refraction...or was it reflection
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 566 Officer
    or was it because most fish are color blind and can't see Red....hell, I can't remember, I use Power Pro Green on all my reels and a floro-leader...
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,873 Captain
    Color shouldn't make a difference in the Surf or on a jetty / pier.

Light colors are easier to see at dawn or dusk ... prime time.

With a substantial leader, it's shouldn't matter otherwise.

Keep in mind that braid under 25 lbs. is often a hassle.

Even when doubled-up, it can be a pain to knot securely.
  • WC53WC53 Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    Absolutely does, dark green, black, camo, well I can't see them at all to tell where the line is! Yellow/white I can see those and the fish don't seem to care
    "Reality, the bane of ICC everywhere."
  • stussingstussing Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    I use both the yellow and the red. I hate the dark green, as I can not see the line at the rod tip at night. The fish do not care. I used to use high vis mono with no ill effect. That is why I use a leader. If line color were a major problem, no one would catch a fish using a fly rod. Fly line is much larger in profile in the water than braid.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,239 Moderator
    Trevfishin wrote: »
    I thought Red was supposed to disappear in the water due to light refraction...or was it reflection

If red disappeared under water, all skin divers would wear red dive suits. Actually, red is the first color to loose it's color under water and the marketers use this to make you believe it disappears. Go back to your grade school art class and remember the definition of "lack of color," -- it's "BLACK." Red turns black under water.
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 423 Deckhand
    Thankyou Very much guys! 👍Awesome advice all around! I use Hi Viz Yellow up north for Catfishing at night so I can see it. Now that you guys have given the green light on using colors like that, that’s what I’ll use!👍

Jack Hexter, I also here you on that color Red thing. It doesn’t even change color until it’s VERY deep, and when it does change, its black. Oh well, when I did use Red for a number of years, it didn’t seem to affect my fishing.
    **** those advertisers!!! 😡 😂
  • kcgramerkcgramer Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Saw a commercial for Spiderwire Ultracast Invisabraid. Supposedly a high-vis white braid out of the water but as clear as fluoro under the water. Never tried it but seems to match what you were searching for.
  • ShedheadShedhead Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Are you a line watcher? No?? Then it doesn't matter.. I've been using yellow for pomps and whiting from shore .. 3' leader.. I see most strikes on the line jump.. frustrates me when i can't see my line...

But if the water is clear and my leader is too short.. aka short/no bites... lengthen the leader a skosh.

My 2 cents. But hey??! what do I know I'm a Yankee salmon fisherman
    But hey dare, what do I know.. I'm just a Yankee salmon fisherman.. or no? See some of my pictures on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BDMhg_NKD21/... search jamers_h
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,917 Captain
    IMO it matters to a point.... (Day time fishing) it lets other fishermen on piers know where your line is at... on the beach/surf it lets the
    beach walkers/surfer know where your line is.... does this mean that they care... LOL most of the time it doesn't... Hi Vi line also lets you
    know where your fish is going or trying to get into rocks or wrap you around a pier... this way you know when you add more pressure
    and then to let him run....and as far as fluro goes.... it all depends on the water condition and also the type of gamefish you are after...
    at nite I use regular pink ande for leader and it has never let me down... now if Im fishing gin clear water then floru comes back out....
    here something else to think about..... don't over think it... fishermen have been catching fish with every line possible.... in the end it all
    come down to tide/bait/fishing pressure and a little bit of luck.... have a good time and try to learn something everytime you go out...
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 2,007 Captain
    Jettypark brings up an excellent point. High vis lines are great when fighting a fish. Being able to see where a prize catch is located really helps the angler decide when and how much pressure to apply. A snook is heading under a dock, start pulling hard and tighten the drag A snook is out in the open, relax and let it tucker out. I greatly prefer high vis.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,268 Moderator
    kcgramer wrote: »
    Saw a commercial for Spiderwire Ultracast Invisabraid. Supposedly a high-vis white braid out of the water but as clear as fluoro under the water. Never tried it but seems to match what you were searching for.
    I use this on some of my spinning reels. It casts very well and in the water it doesn't disappear but it does look a bit translucent. I still use 3-6 ft of flouro leader on the end of it though.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,290 Captain
    If red disappeared under water, all skin divers would wear red dive suits. Actually, red is the first color to loose it's color under water and the marketers use this to make you believe it disappears. Go back to your grade school art class and remember the definition of "lack of color," -- it's "BLACK." Red turns black under water.

Your close. In art class black it the presence of all colors, white is lack of color. In physics class you learn white light is a mix of all spectrums( colors) and black is the lack of color.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 423 Deckhand
    🤔 im learning new stuff all the time on here! 👍