Home General Fishing

Got to Pompano today

I didnt have my main gear ready yet, so I just grabbed an inshore rod over to the Hillsboro Inlet jetty, and tossed some live shrimp in for an hour. I only caught some dinks, but I have no idea what the heck they are!? Could you guys help me out to know what these fish are?

c69a06a3badb43342558c4cf6ac700e2.jpg

c89b696991fbd6c8a2dd78e08dd21109.jpg

c6ca4ddf3d33a971b2acacd1c632c3a1.jpg

Also, swimming all around the rocks were these fish that had yellow tails and silvery sides. It looked they were all picking stuff off of the rocks. They would tilt to the side to get stuff off the riocks and when they did, I could see the silvery sides. I’m wondering what they were too. My first thought was maybe jacks. But I dont think that was what they were.

All my gear will be set up tonight. So hopefully on to bigger fish tomorrow!

Thanks for any and all help guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replies

• waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,040 Officer
    Unknown fishes: 1) sailor's choice, 2) bluestriped grunt, 3) gray (mangrove) snapper. From your description, I can't I.D. the fishes swimming around the pilings.

Good luck tomorrow.
  • dilligaf84dilligaf84 Posts: 876 Officer
    The caught fish looks like a young margate, not sure on the others.
  • scallopscallop Posts: 50 Deckhand
    1. black margate
    2. blue stripped grunt, maybe a french grunt
    3. Mangrove (grey) snapper.

I will be there Thursday, can't wait.
    This was my biggest catch at Hillsboro. Not much for you native types, but as an Ohio boy that only gets to your area once maybe twice a year I enjoyed it. You guys truly do not know how good you have it. I can go around the corner at home and catch all the catfish and bass I want, but nothing like fishing in the salt. Never know what is going to come up next, and they are are a thrill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcmBWqfpLV4
    dilligaf84 wrote: »
    The caught fish looks like a young margate, not sure on the others.

Look at the fish's dark dark pectoral fin. The pectorals of margates are clear or light-colored. Externally, the sailor's choice (Haemulon parra) is very similar to the margate (H. allba), but its pectoral fins are usually dusky or dark.
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 550 Officer
    Thanks a million everyone for identifying these fish!

Scallop, that’s crazy, I’ve caught two nurse sharks off that inlet before. Both being the same exact size as yours!
  • tijeretatijereta Posts: 231 Deckhand
    The first one looks like a mojarra.
    Actually, I found out the fish in the first picture is a Black Grunt! The picture doesn’t show it, but when I pulled the fish out of the water, you could actually see the two black bars on its body.
  • BeastieBeastie Bokeelia, FLPosts: 872 Officer
    Keep posting reports and fish this is getting good!
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,523 AG
    Trust Waldnerr's identifications.
    edit: After looking more closely, I may be in the Black Margate camp also due to the mouth shape and faded black behind the pectorals.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

😂 I know, I’m sorry, I know these aren’t the big game fish. I just never caught these fish before and just wanted see what they were. Hopefully I’ll get some bigger ones today. If anything I might use the grunts for bait.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,030 Admiral
    Toss some artificials too. Spoons, jigs, plugs, etc.

Might be some bluefish, Spanish or cudas in the mix. Definitely cudas lol. And they are good shark bait too.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 731 Officer
    Sea Bream (black margate) grunt, and mangrove snapper.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,448 Captain
    .. and each one of those little guys would make a great live bait - except the mangrove snapper - they have to be 10" long to be able to keep one -the others are fair game (and might make a snack for a big snook... or grouper.. or something toothy...

I haven't fish piers or jetties in many years but standard gear for all of us back then were three rods - a light one for catching bait, a medium one for tossing lures, and a heavy rod for fishing bait...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    I don't believe that the first fish in the photo series is a black margate. I considered this, but the body proportions are wrong; the black margate is a deeper-bodied species than the fish in the photo, and the black margate's dark bar, or blotch, is much more prominent. Margate is a possibility, but the fish's dark pectoral fin suggests that this is not the correct I.D.. The black grunt is a Caribbean species that is not known from Florida. I really think that sailors choice is the correct I.D.. Flec, the sea bream is a porgy (family Sparidae) and, as such, belongs to a different family than the fish in question, which is a grunt (family Haemulidae).
    Ok. That has gotten really effing old.

Not funny at all.
    And that was a jewfish, BTW
    Thanks for letting me know about using grunts for Baits guys. I downsized hooks and Baits, and was catching the smaller sized ones for good live Baits. Filled a 5 gallon aerated bucket full of them. I tossed back all the mangroves.

I used some live on the bottom, and also cut Baits. Only caught a small nurse shark on the cut grunt. But no hits on the live ones today. I was casting directly into the inlet from the Jetty. Now that I can get good bait I now have a plan for the rest of the week.

13c9b5cc2b1ebf04ba54d22b05fe4d33.jpgd7d8783975ce20c6f82b055061f8d148.jpg8693f4ee36aeb5b5f14f62b6acbf1013.jpg351314f7ca5c4db98e144aa2d2bd52c1.jpg

My cousin is holding the small Nurse.

11e387faa06aa677cfd15228d37f30c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I land at 12:30 tomorrow. Hope to be out there sometime later afternoon. I have a few other locations we shore fish as well. I had seen some video of damage to the docks at Hillsboro by the hurricane, are they still busted up?
    I haven’t looked back at the docks yet. I would definitely had let you know. That’s Awesome your heading out there too man! I’m sure I’m going to run into you sometime. Ill be out a couple times tomorrow.
    Feel free to say howdy. My name is Steve.
    Careful, some of those fish are snappers and have a minimum size to keep, and that includes use for bait.
    Thanks tankard. I’m definitely watching out, I don’t want to get in trouble for that stuff. I got a little confused when picking out the snappers. It looks like their colors and stripes can be different. But I Check the teeth pattern to.
    Ok, a brand new world I need to learn just opened up.

Today I went out with palm sized cut Bonita on two rods. Casted right in the middle of the inlet.

I fished right at the low water tide. Immediately reel screams, within seconds my line is at the opposite side of the inlet and the line pops!!! A I have no idea what it was, but it was Huge!

10 minutes later, line screams again for the same area. Then all of a sudden it jumps. It’s the biggest fish I have ever had on easily!!!! But I couldn’t tell what it was. The second jump was easy to tell, it was a Frickon Tarpon man. It jumped 4-5 times total! I was Amped up and scared I would lose it because my line and leader felt very Under gunned. I only had 40lb. Braid and 40lb. Mono leader on this rod. I’m not sure how big these things get, but this was 5’ or more for sure. It wasn’t even close to tiring out and when I got it closer to shore, it simply shook its head and spit the hook. My heart was racing.

What do I need, and need to do, to land one of these things. I was really surprised it ate a cut Bonita. It didn’t know tarpon eat those things.
    Dude who needs to land it you got the best part!

Nice job and congrats!
    😂 Totally Man! It felt weird. because I didn’t have that Empty feeling after I lost it. I was like “Man! That was frickin Bad-A#%!
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 14,860 AG
    �� Totally Man! It felt weird. because I didn’t have that Empty feeling after I lost it. I was like “Man! That was frickin Bad-A#%!
    You need a helper with a camera. Good job.

Maybe Henson could photoshop a big bony fish jumping out of the water?

Sorry, couldn’t help it.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,523 AG
    Tarpon will eat anything. When I was youth and living in Key West we put out a giant bonito head on crawfish trap rope with a chain leader looking for a big shark in Key West harbor and the line took off. When it came tight a huge (200 lb. +) Tarpon went air born and shook the giant shark hook. I didn't think much of it at the time but it goes to show that a hungry fish doesn't care about a stealthy presentation.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• dave44dave44 Posts: 14,860 AG
    conchydong wrote: »
    Tarpon will eat anything. When I was youth and living in Key West we put out a giant bonito head on crawfish trap rope with a chain leader looking for a big shark in Key West harbor and the line took off. When it came tight a huge (200 lb. +) Tarpon went air born and shook the giant shark hook. I didn't think much of it at the time but it goes to show that a hungry fish doesn't care about a stealthy presentation.

Wow! That’s pretty cool!

I’ve said the same of red drum. When they are really biting they’ll go after just about anything. Haven’t thrown an old boot out yet, though.