Home General Paddle Craft

Hobie Price Increase

Hi guys, not a complaint just trying to be certain my memory is correct. I just checked a new Outback on ACK and if my memory serves, Hobie has added approximately a 10% increase to the cost, this on top of the increase when they added the reverse Mirage option.

The Outback Camo model is basically $3K delivered.

Am I correct?

During my years of tournament bass fishing I watched this phenomenon as the prices of boats, engines, electronics, etc., jumped year after year always thinking prices had reached a point where the consumers would stop or slow down their buying. I was always wrong! :)

Question to you guys who know this sport especially in FL much better than I.

Although price of course isn't the only consideration, if prices continue to increase this rapidly at what price point will anglers begin to look at a small skiff/ engine combo rather than a kayak.

Thanks, GLGF.

Replies

• davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    Prices go up every year. Accept it like the rest of us do. Either that or buy it used. Its like cell phones... As an IT guy I laugh at the minor upgrades that each new model of the iPhone has and say there is no way someone would pay $750, $850, $950, $1000+ for a friggin phone and it’ll stop cause no one will buy em at that price. Every new model I’m dead wrong and people pay it all day long. As long as people pay, they’ll keep increasing the price for minor upgrades.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 525 Officer
    davederb wrote: »
    Prices go up every year. Accept it like the rest of us do. Either that or buy it used. Its like cell phones... As an IT guy I laugh at the minor upgrades that each new model of the iPhone has and say there is no way someone would pay $750, $850, $950, $1000+ for a friggin phone and it’ll stop cause no one will buy em at that price. Every new model I’m dead wrong and people pay it all day long. As long as people pay, they’ll keep increasing the price for minor upgrades.

Exactly right, Dave. As I mentioned I saw tournament bass boat go from the teen$, the $20's, $30's, $40, and when they hit the $50's, I thought "NO WAY"! Boy was I wrong! :) On the other side of the coin though at least for right now, guns are dirt cheap and nice guns are extremely affordable so it all evens out I guess.
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    Either we complain and dont own the Hobie, or pay to play! YOLO and he who dies with the most fishing gear wins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 206 Deckhand
    supply vs. demand. no different than any other product.
    Agreed 100%! I've been in the real estate profession for many, many years and S&D certainly play a huge role in our real estate values.

Again my comment wasn't a complaint but more looking for confirmation on the price increase. In truth with what we spend on everything else in our sport a couple of hundred dollars for the kayak is a drop in the bucket and literally pennies over time.

Most of us have spent that much money at times for dinner and drinks, and I've spent that much or more many times fueling a truck and boat. :)
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,248 Captain
    Basstar wrote: »

Although price of course isn't the only consideration, if prices continue to increase this rapidly at what price point will anglers begin to look at a small skiff/ engine combo rather than a kayak.

Thanks, GLGF.

With all the bells and whistles, my kayak is already as expensive as a small used skiff. When they start making skiffs that are sea worthy and light enough to launch from the beach out of the back of my truck, without a trailer, I think there will be more anglers making the switch. On the same note, believe the kayaks are evolving and we will see more motorized versions in the future, especially as lithium ion batteries and solar panels become more advanced and affordable.
    With all the bells and whistles, my kayak is already as expensive as a small used skiff. When they start making skiffs that are sea worthy and light enough to launch from the beach out of the back of my truck, without a trailer, I think there will be more anglers making the switch. On the same note, believe the kayaks are evolving and we will see more motorized versions in the future, especially as lithium ion batteries and solar panels become more advanced and affordable.

Excellent points here John. I hadn't even considered the motorized versions but you are correct. With technology this my well be the next wave or if not the next wave, then very soon.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,343 Moderator
    Basstar, I don't disagree, their prices and features increase every year.
    At least Hobie is testing the waters with the Compass as a way to entice anglers to a stripped-down [and thereby less-expensive] mirage-driven kayak.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,376 Admiral

https://www.oldtowncanoe.com/Predator_MK/
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

jcanracer wrote: »
    Basstar, I don't disagree, their prices and features increase every year.
    At least Hobie is testing the waters with the Compass as a way to entice anglers to a stripped-down [and thereby less-expensive] mirage-driven kayak.

I'll share a funny with you guys here. I have a paddle kayak but like many here I'm giving serious consideration towards buying a Hobie. When my non-kayaking friends discuss the price I quickly remind them that the price of an Outback shipped to my door is less than the sales tax we paid on many of our bass boats. :)
  • jbdba01jbdba01 Posts: 144 Deckhand
    I'm too cheap to buy new boats, kayaks so it's craiglists and forums for me. Especially Hobie's. The only one that has caught my eye recently has been the tandem Adventure Island. $5-6K!!

Given that I sold my 17' skiff for $8K it's getting there.

Now that said skiffs vs light kayaks is an entirely different market. The heavier kayak models I would need a trailer...just to much storage/hassle to deal with. At that point a cheaper microskiff would do. Light kayaks are just easier to deal with.

My $.02.

Course I kinda went the other way - my kayaks needed a hauler...:) "Welcome to the next level."
    gb1.jpg 101.1K
    gb.jpg 64.8K
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    In my opinion it's foolish to buy a new kayak. You don't really have any loss in value in a used one, unless they drilled a bunch of holes in it. Both my kayaks I bought used on Craigslist. I don't see any functional benefit in a new boat. Scratches don't mean anything, your boat is gonna get scratched up the second you use it, unless you dragged it half a mile over an oysterbed or something and compromised the hull integrity. Buy used.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    Basstar wrote: »
    Hi guys, not a complaint just trying to be certain my memory is correct. I just checked a new Outback on ACK and if my memory serves, Hobie has added approximately a 10% increase to the cost, this on top of the increase when they added the reverse Mirage option.

The Outback Camo model is basically $3K delivered.

Am I correct?

During my years of tournament bass fishing I watched this phenomenon as the prices of boats, engines, electronics, etc., jumped year after year always thinking prices had reached a point where the consumers would stop or slow down their buying. I was always wrong! :)

Question to you guys who know this sport especially in FL much better than I.

Thanks, GLGF.

I don't get why kayaks are so much, it has kept me from owning one, once the mold is paid for I don't see why they cant be but 300$?
    we need more internet money
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,248 Captain
    Produkt wrote: »
    In my opinion it's foolish to buy a new kayak. You don't really have any loss in value in a used one, unless they drilled a bunch of holes in it. Both my kayaks I bought used on Craigslist. I don't see any functional benefit in a new boat. Scratches don't mean anything, your boat is gonna get scratched up the second you use it, unless you dragged it half a mile over an oysterbed or something and compromised the hull integrity. Buy used.
    Agree, like anything else, used is a better bang for the buck.