10 fastest fish species in Florida ocean?

What would you guys rate as the 10 fastest fish species?

Replies

• FishWithChrisFishWithChris TallahasseePosts: 139 Deckhand
    Inshore? Offshore? Or just "accessible" for a reasonable distance from the state?
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,057 Officer
    Without trying to think too much about it I also had questions of fast when you hook 'em or they cruise around going fast?

Fast when you hook em - bonefish, snook, ladyfish, the mackerels

Fast cruisers - mahi, kings, mackerel, bonito, tuna

From 0 to 60 - fast on the attack - cudas
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,691 Captain
    Mako
    My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,299 Captain
    Wahoo, sailfish, tuna
    You should have been here yesterday
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,440 Admiral
    Pompano and permit would probably be on that list.
  • OverslotsOnlyOverslotsOnly Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    Sailfish are actually THE fastest fish in the ocean. Wahoo are up there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,691 Captain
    My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,242 Moderator
    The chart is in error as it doesn't mention dolphin at 92.6 km/hr
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 478 Deckhand
    MGTeacher wrote: »

This article has zero credibility for 2 reasons. 1) It does not site any source for the speeds provided and 2) It shows a picture of a mackerel for the entry on wahoo.

And the historical "documentation" of sailfish top speed is extremely dodgy at best, and is probably better characterized as rum induced tales told at the fish camp. Here's a better (more scientific and less click-baity) article on the question.

https://medium.com/@Tuna/is-sailfish-the-world-s-fastest-fish-in-the-ocean-68c2f7c82779
  • kcgramerkcgramer Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    wahoo, sailfish, cuda
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 2,016 Captain
    The top are easily tuna, wahoo, sailfish and dolphin. I believe National Geographic has published information on the topic. I recall reading an article not that long ago.
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 423 Deckhand
    Sorry, I just got back to check on the post guys. Awesome! Yeah, any saltwater fish counts. Offshore or inshore of Florida.
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 549 Officer
    Rating from first hand experience I would have to say a Sailfish followed very, very closely by the Wahoo after that it's gotta be cuda, dolphin, tuna and kingfish. Again this judging by fish I've actually caught.
  • freddy4130freddy4130 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    This article has zero credibility for 2 reasons. 1) It does not site any source for the speeds provided and 2) It shows a picture of a mackerel for the entry on wahoo.

And the historical "documentation" of sailfish top speed is extremely dodgy at best, and is probably better characterized as rum induced tales told at the fish camp. Here's a better (more scientific and less click-baity) article on the question.

https://medium.com/@Tuna/is-sailfish-the-world-s-fastest-fish-in-the-ocean-68c2f7c82779

Weeeeelll... A wahoo is a mackerel.