Home General Fishing

****'s redbone sale, be careful.

cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
Just an FYI, inspect your stuff when received, don't wait until Christmas day to find out dummies in the shipping dept busted your stuff.

Redbone spinning rods are half price so I ordered 2, at 7-6 length. They were shipped separately. First one came intact but I noticed the top lid of taped on at an angle. I inspected the rod and it was fine. Today I get #2 both end covers are pushed all the way in. And the tip is smashed. So they are shipping a 7'6*rod in a 7'6 case but 7"5 once the end caps are in. The return policy mentions an $8 return fee. I'll drive to one that is fairly close and return it that way.
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr

Replies

• FlecFlec Posts: 705 Officer
    The risk you take when buying online. I was at my local ****'s last night hoping to find some Calico Jack rods but they had none. I have several CJ's and one Redbone. I prefer the CJ's because of their slightly smaller cork grips which are more comfortable in my hands. Both are made by Hurricane. Both are great value, especially at sale prices.
  • No ImageNo Image Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Flec wrote: »
    The risk you take when buying online. I was at my local ****'s last night hoping to find some Calico Jack rods but they had none. I have several CJ's and one Redbone. I prefer the CJ's because of their slightly smaller cork grips which are more comfortable in my hands. Both are made by Hurricane. Both are great value, especially at sale prices.

You might want to do a search at your local Wal-Mart(s) via walmart.com or their app.

I found the most insane deal in a local (Tallahassee) Wal-Mart yesterday. They were selling Calico Jacks for $5. I stumbled across the price on the Wal-Mart app and once I noticed the price, I immediately made a trip over. Since the app said there was only a limited supply in stock, I half way expected not to find any on the shelf. Luckily, I stumbled across two and snatched them up with the quickness. What's even crazier, is now when I check the Wal-Mart app, they are listed at $1. Which means there must have been another price drop scheduled after I purchased the remaining ones they had in stock. So I ended up paying $10 for two Calico Jacks instead of $2, but I'm not mad about it one bit. :cool:

It was only the one store out of about 6 or 7 in my area that had them marked down, so it may be a bit of a shot in the dark. But still worth a look, nonetheless.
  • jcbonejcbone Posts: 56 Deckhand
    I have been trying to purchase the redbone rods since I've seen the sale start at ****'s but everytime I've tried they have been sold out of the models I've been looking for both online and in-store. $50 for these rods are the lowest I've ever seen them but unfortunately can't even find them in stock. You stole those calico jack rods at that price wow!
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 489 Deckhand
    Redbones not what they used to be. Crowders much better IMO. Loved my old Redbone spinner rods
  • jcbonejcbone Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Bite 1 wrote: »
    Redbones not what they used to be. Crowders much better IMO. Loved my old Redbone spinner rods

Luckily I still have 3 of the older model spinning redbone rods...what don't you like about the new redbone models?
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 489 Deckhand
    short fore grips. IMO spinner fore grips should be length of fore arm. That way U can brace against fore arm while fighting fish. have seen too much T.V watching guys hold rod wrong in hand and putting strain on wrist, and even back reeling, Meaning upside down. Hate to see that spinner on top of rod.