Home Fly Fishing

Critical mass. (help!)

Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,382 Captain
I've finally gotten fed up enough with my tying area that I cleaned it up today, and I feel like I have even less space than when I started. If any of you guys have some nifty organizational tips for flash, thread, capes, and synthetics it would be much appreciated. And yes, Bob Lemay I'm talking to you! I know you have way more stuff than I do and you've been at it alot longer.

-Thanks-
ODC

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,840 Captain
    Wish you hadn't asked that since my tying area usually looks like a family of rats live there.... I do have some storage methods that work fairly well. Since I buy tails by the hundred, feathers by the pound, hooks by the thousand, etc. I've learned to use Roughneck type plastic tubs that are marked on the outside with contents info. Large boxes of hooks are broken down to a single Plano box with each size labled and each bin holding 100 to 200 per hook size (and a second similar box just for lead eyes, both un-painted and painted). The old metal desk that I use for a tying station has a sheet of clear plastic for the top surface, held in place by the tying vice. Hanks of flash are usually bundled with zip ties from the factory... it's a simple matter to cut the tag end on the bias and use that short (about two inches) of tag end slipped under the clear acrylic desk surface to hang any number of flash bundles where you can see and access them as you tie... I do the same with razor blades (both single for utility work, and double edged blades, broken in half, for slicing deer hair heads). Having the small items that you need close to hand makes tying a lot easier. Now for the problem every tier faces... putting things away when they're no longer needed. I keep a small (2 gallon size?) Roughneck container on the floor next to my tying station. No longer needed materials go in the tub - when it's filled I try to take a moment and put every tail, feather bundle, etc. back where they belong. Just like everyone else, I frequently find myself with a tiny clear area with the rest of the desk covered with all kinds of junk (not sure there's much of a cure for that condition....).

The worst scenario for me is having to tie just one or two of a pattern, then needing more materials for the next pattern.... That sort of stuff is terribly time consuming and not very productive. The ideal is to be tying one or ten dozen of the same pattern so you only need to go into storage once....

There is a book by A. K. Best on production fly tying that did help me a bit on being more efficient. You might want to look it up. Since I was long ago chased out of the house and do all my tying, lure making, rodbuilding stuff out in an open garage I'm probably not the best guy to ask about keeping tying area clean and ready to use...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • idlerickidlerick Littleton, Colorado & Sarasota, FlaPosts: 237 Deckhand
    I bought a bunch of the $1 stackable plastic shoe boxes from Wallyworld or HD and labeled them with a felt tip - Bucktail, Flash, Synthetic, Hooks, Thread,, etc. They store under my tying bench and it's easy to grab the right one.
    Hint - Get the ones with a lid that pops off easily; some take a pair of Channellocks to remove them.
    :)
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,382 Captain
    Thanks so much Bob. It's getting to the point where lots of my things are getting lost/damaged. I'll go pick up some storeage bins and see if I can't track down that book.
  • Pea_HunterPea_Hunter Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    ODC check out the really useful boxes......they're clear come in an **** of sizes and the lids lock on..plus they stack well onto each other.
  • Capt. ScottCapt. Scott Posts: 96 Deckhand
    This works for me pretty well, but I think tying areas are like garages, attics and boats...no matter how big they are, you will fill them completely...The large, stackable storage bins are probably the most useful in keeping the mess contained.
    SH104336.jpg
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Looks great Scott. Great seminar on deep water technique this week you did.Your rod angle discussion was eye opening also.

Back to the discussion. The stack able Sterlite containers at Wall-Mart are very helpful. My area never gets dirty. My wife can't keep her hands off of my stuff cleaning up. I spend allot of time looking for stuff she put away. I guess I will have to start cleaning up.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • kudzukudzu Posts: 245 Deckhand
    Hopefully nobody's place looks like mine. :p It's my all-purpose station for fly tying, electronics, rope splicing, and anything else I can come up with. I really need to work on it.

IMAG0574.jpg

I even have some toilet paper there in case I'm on a roll and don't want to stop. ;)
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt
    This works for me pretty well, but I think tying areas are like garages, attics and boats...no matter how big they are, you will fill them completely...The large, stackable storage bins are probably the most useful in keeping the mess contained.

I've got plenty of storage bins, but I try to keep everything at an arms length from my vise. I hate getting up while I'm tying. I think I've just gotten to the point where that just isn't possible anymore. The thread and flash situation is completely out of control.
  • Capt. ScottCapt. Scott Posts: 96 Deckhand
    The peg board and small drawer storage bins on the desk are great for the materials, hooks, thread spools, assorted eyes, etc. that I want on a regular basis. Then, in an attempt to stay focused and organized, I'll pull needed materials out of the lrg. bins for a specific pattern, tie a bunch, and then the materials go back in the lrg bins. But don't get the idea that my desk looks like anything other than a disaster area about 80% of the time....I don't have enough OCD in me for it to be otherwise...
    I also just re-worked my tying area, will try to get some pics up soon.
  • rollin904rollin904 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    My somewhat clean station...I keep all my fur and feathers in a large bin, everything's together :cookoo

IMAGE_CE12AD3E-0BEE-4C33-88CE-E5770659CDB9.JPG
    My plan is to eventually go buy some of those hardware containers that have the slide out drawers. Just gotta find the right dimensions (and right price).
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    005.jpg
    The wreck
    FYIWFG
    I need to build a thread holder like that.

Sent from my Thunderbolt.
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt
    I should have began this thread with a few pics of what I'm working with at the moment. I have one cardinal rule, in that everything must be at arms length. Other than my bucktail & deer hair stash everything is pretty easy to get to. The clutter situation with the thread and flash are my primary concerns, and I just can't figure out a way to organize them that won't take up more space than it already does. I use mono thread 10-1 over nylon, so if I had to I could stash them away, but not the flash. Any ideas are appreciated.

My ratty old desk (where the tragic happens)

IMG_05141-2.jpg

Hook storeage is ok. I do have some bulk packs of random hooks packed away with my jigmaking stuff, but this is the stuff I use regularly.

IMG_05231.jpg

Necks are all good.

IMG_05181.jpg

The nylon pile. (wth?)

IMG_05201-1.jpg

The flash heap.

IMG_05211.jpg
    Um, I don't see the problem with that setup. :)
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    kudzu wrote: »
    I need to build a thread holder like that.

You can buy them at a craft store, not real expensive...
    FYIWFG
    acesover wrote: »
    You can buy them at a craft store, not real expensive...

Ya I stole mine from the ex-gf...ex because she got in the way of my fishing :beer
    ;-) Buy one? That sounds much easier.

Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    kudzu wrote: »
    Um, I don't see the problem with that setup. :)

I'm happy with the setup, just wishing I could find a better way to manage my thread and flash. I've been looking around for a portfolio type binder that will hold the flash, but I have like 80 different kinds and they're all packaged differently.
  • capttcbcapttcb Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    I bought some cabinets and a counter top from Lowes a few years ago. I stained the wood myself and bought a 4X8 sheet of slat board and hung it over the counter.
  • Carolina FlyCarolina Fly Posts: 71 Deckhand
    This old antique file was in an antique shop in Camden, SC. My wife called me when she saw it and I drove down and bought it. They used to file things flat in the drawers in the old days. If you know anybody that hangs out in such stores you should tell them to keep an eye out for you.
    IMGP3923_resize.jpg