Home General Paddle Craft

ATT: all treasure coast fisherman (and Ladies) Important. Share your thoughts

From Congressman Brian Mast:

When leaders in Congress wanted to see what kind of impact the Water Resources and Development Act would have across the country, I told them they needed to come to Florida. This is the bill that authorizes all of our Everglades and Lake Okeechobee infrastructure projects, and it's central to allowing us to fix the water quality issues plaguing our community.

After countless hours of pushing the committee, they didn't go to California or New York - I hosted them right here in Florida. I showed them Lake Okeechobee, our rivers and our ports. As Vice Chairman of the Water Resources and Environment Subcommittee, now I want to hear from you.

Will you take just one minute to share how Lake Okeechobee's dirty water has impacted your family?
SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE

https://mast.house.gov/watersurvey

I gave examples of dirty water in the live well killing bait, lack of Spanish Macks at Pecks lake etc etc.
Please share your experience with Congress so our voices can be heard.

Remember if you do nothing expect nothing!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,952 Captain
    After the disastrous algae blooms of last year, seems like part of the solution might have been to divert the run off to Broward ? This year was the worst I have ever seen for Algae blooms -- the canal behind my house was dead with thick green algae for about a month. Starves the life out of the water.... no mullet, no jack cravelle, no snook changes the outlook for living on a canal from desirable to undesirable.
  • krashkrash Posts: 682 Officer
    For sure... I been saying that for a couple years. It started years ago when the Indians (Mikosookie or Seminoles) won the battle of SFWMD dumpung water into the glades North of US41.. that pump station at Holiday park was diverted and water that used to flow into theglades now flows into the C11, and others,... For years I've fished that canal, and live on a tributary, and you seldom ever saw water moving East between Nob Hill and US27, but now it always does and you never see it moving West.

There is also tons of water being diverted into the N. New River canal that runs along I595/SR84 at US27, which feeds several tributaries along the way on the N and S sides.

In the past few years the water has changed colors and seems like the Bass and Peacocks are hard to find. I walked about 2 miles of the canal the other day and saw 3 Peacocks, only 1 LM, very few pan fish. Bream have bene gone for years and there used to be a healthy ciclid population but even the ciclids and tilapia have left my backyard canal. There still is a Tarpon and Snook presence but if the food is gone they soon will be also. We seldom even see a gator any more either.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish