Home Fly Fishing

Orvis Helios 3 review

ole_florida_mikeole_florida_mike Posts: 28 Greenhorn
The H3 was released under the headline the most accurate rod to date. Since dampening tip vibration for straight tracking has been an ongoing progression in rods, and accuracy is ultimately in the hands of the caster, we needed to test the H3 in one of the most accuracy dependent fisheries on the planet to see what the hype was about and what the H3 is really capable of.

Full video review: Orvis Helios 3 Review: On the Water Biscayne Bay
Salt-centric fly shop with the knowledge & gear to outfit anglers worldwide
olefloridaflyshop.com

Replies

• HookIHookI Posts: 107 Deckhand
    not knowing much about Fly rods but went with a company who's name & reputation is solid , I did purchase the Helios 3 D in the 8w & will be testing it out this December , I do have an older model Helios 3 in a 10 weight which has performed very well .
  • curbdoc1curbdoc1 Posts: 5 Deckhand
    I have to agree with everything Mike said in his video review. I just took the 2 day Orvis school in Sevierville Tn so I could fish in the Smoky Mountains, and hopefully improve my 10 years worth of self taught mistakes with a fly rod (turns out I'm not such a bad teacher/learner). I was the only one who showed up for the 2 day class, so for the entire class I had my very own 1 on 1 Orvis Guide/Instructor fishing with me. For all the fishing and practice we did I used the 8 & 5 wt Helios 3D. I have been using a TFO BVK's for the past few years, and there is absolutely no comparison. I always shied away from very high end rods because I didn't think I was good enough to appreciate all the different capabilities and nuances of one. Boy was I wrong. Fishing with the 3D makes me feel like I was using a Snoopy Rod from Walmart before. I bought an 8wt while I was there, and I have a 5wt on the way. The rod emphasizes everything I do right, and like Mike said, imparts some degree of autocorrect to my flubs. If you get a chance to try one, take it.
    014.jpg 101.3K
    016.jpg 108.4K