What size anchor and anchor line for 18ft Action Craft flats boat?

ArsinekArsinek Posts: 64 Greenhorn
I have an 18ft Action Craft Flats Master which weighs just under 1000lb and a Yamaha 150hp which weighs just under 500lb.

The bottom where I live is 98% soft mud and 2% oyster bed.

The deepest I ever see myself anchoring would be 25ft.

What kind of anchor should I get? How should it be rigged? And what kind of anchor line should I get?

Thanks!

Replies

• Barrett1Barrett1 Posts: 165 Officer
    C-claw

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,063 Captain
    Barrett1 wrote: »
    C-claw

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

X2. 12# model is all you need. No chain required. I use 3/8" rope. I keep ~40 feet in small anchor hatch, I added a thimble to the other end of the rope, and I have a ss clip to add more rope for deeper waters if ever needed.
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 794 Officer
    Seaclaw.com seems to be the original and seaclawanchors.com seems to be a copy-cat.
  • ArsinekArsinek Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    X2. 12# model is all you need. No chain required. I use 3/8" rope. I keep ~40 feet in small anchor hatch, I added a thimble to the other end of the rope, and I have a ss clip to add more rope for deeper waters if ever needed.

So would that be the 12lb model?
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,068 Officer
    I usually use a larger diameter rope than is needed because its easier on the hands when pulling it in.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • fishonfishon Posts: 970 Officer
    C-claw x2. No chain needed, held my 24 Bay every time. Chain is not easy for the wife or children to deal with. Lol.
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland
  • fishonfishon Posts: 970 Officer
    Yes 12lb
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland
  • CameronCameron Posts: 208 Deckhand
    I use a shallow water anchor for anything up to about 8'. When fishing, I spot lock on the trolling motor.

After that a Sea Claw with some chain. Using chain with a lighter anchor is substantially better than a heavier anchor with no chain. The chain makes it easier to set, increases the hold, limits the chaffing and creates better shock absorption on the rode. Sea Claw anchors are designed to work without chain but they will work better with it.

On your boat a #8 with 6' 1/4" chain and 100' of half inch rode is going to hold you in pretty much anything you want to be out in. #12 is more universal and will hold pretty much any bay boat. You will want more rode if you are going to be in high winds/storms.

https://www.reelcharterfishing.com/anchor.htm