Home General Paddle Craft

Thinking about getting a yak

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    jcbcpa wrote: »
    Yes, I can stand easily in the PA. As someone else said I can throw my cast net too. With that said, I don't usually take my cast net and I don't stand to fish. If I need to stand to stretch, I usually just pull up on the beach or get in shallow water and get out and walk around awhile.

Well that makes sense too. Because I don't have the nerve to run offshore in one so I will not be that far from shore at any given time. Have you actually tried any different yaks besides Hobie?
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,930 Captain
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Well that makes sense too. Because I don't have the nerve to run offshore in one so I will not be that far from shore at any given time. Have you actually tried any different yaks besides Hobie?

Yes, I tried 2 different Wilderness kayaks and my wife has the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120.
    Went on a guided trip in a Wilderness (can't remember the make) and also in the Hobie outback.
    Those are the only ones that I have tried other than the PA.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
    jcbcpa wrote: »
    Yes, I tried 2 different Wilderness kayaks and my wife has the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120.
    Went on a guided trip in a Wilderness (can't remember the make) and also in the Hobie outback.
    Those are the only ones that I have tried other than the PA.

I really appreciate all of your input. I am having to find used ones for sale because all the places right around me don't do demos any longer. sad if you ask me because I don't know any other way to see if you would be comfortable in one other than trying it out for yourself. I am finding a few used ones within about 50 miles so I am setting up times to meet and check them out. Otherwise I have no clue as to whether I will even like it. I have boat fished and wade fished all my life.

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• dcrdcr Posts: 365 Deckhand
    << So I am leaning toward a pedal drive yak, but then what happens if I don't like fishing out of one. Then I have spent a good bit of money for something I don't want to use. >>

I've been on this forum for several years. I've never heard anyone say this. But I have heard a couple people say they bought a paddle yak and they should have gotten a peddle. I've also seen one guy recently who came on here asking for help in deciding between two yaks, got all our advice, most of which was negative about his choices. Luckily for him he went to a demo day and found out he hated both.
    dcr wrote: »
    << So I am leaning toward a pedal drive yak, but then what happens if I don't like fishing out of one. Then I have spent a good bit of money for something I don't want to use. >>

I've been on this forum for several years. I've never heard anyone say this. But I have heard a couple people say they bought a paddle yak and they should have gotten a peddle. I've also seen one guy recently who came on here asking for help in deciding between two yaks, got all our advice, most of which was negative about his choices. Luckily for him he went to a demo day and found out he hated both.
    I would rather make a mistake on the up side if need be than go too small and hate it. I do get to try a few out tomorrow though.
    I will say I have a demo set up tomorrow for 4 yaks. A slayer propel, brand new and discounted heavily. A Hobie Compass with the upgraded 180 turbo fin drive, an Outback with the 180 drive and turbo fins, and then one of the paddle Hobie's.

• jbdba01jbdba01 Posts: 144 Deckhand
    Necessity is the mother of invention. I might be able to squeeze that Bote above the Kaku...my wife says I have a problem with boats. The canoe is not in the pic. At one point I was up to 7 - "She was like you have a problem with boats." My reply was "Well...first of all I'm Cuban. secondly it's either boats or women - your choice."

The below is when I peaked...that small skiff has since been sold. Great boat...that was my ****/grouper boat.

Regardless I would get out and buy something - the longer you wait the more you're missing. I went out yesterday and had a great day on the water in the Wilderness. 3 snook, one flounder - I choked on the one red that I saw. Not a bunch of fish - but the time away from work was priceless and because it was blowing 15 to start no one was out there.

If you buy from Craigslist/used and aren't happy with it you can flip it pretty quickly - you may lose $100-200, but it's not like buying a car or boat where you lose your shirt.

Make sure that whatever you get you can get in your truck/car at the end of the day - somehow it always weighs more at the end of the day. Hobie PA - holy smokes - better have a trailer. Finally always paddle into the wind to start the day - occasionally you will find yourself in magic winds where you paddle into the wind both ways.

20170805_194647_zpsikcjai0m.jpg
    I was able to do the demo today. I tried the Native slayer propel and the Hobie Compass. You could not give me the propel. Having never been in a yak it was crazy wobbly. I almost pitched out sitting at the dock with the demo guy just talking to him. It rolls badly when I was paddling it out to deeper water. A big boat went by a hundred yards out and it rolls like crazy. It is heavily discounted but I personally wouldn't take it now if he gave it to me. I did a 20 minute ride and never felt comfortable in it at all. Then took out the Hobie Compass and all I can say is... WOW what a boat. Never rolled at all, and felt completely comfortable the entire time. Rigged out to fish I can still get it for less than the Outback, so that is the one I most likely will get. I do have a demo set up to try the Old Town Predator PDL too. I do know it is between those two boats now. The Compass was impressive.

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Nice! I'm looking to add a Compass to my fleet too, for the same reasons you listed: stability, versatility and price.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • krashkrash Posts: 686 Officer
    Question for the Hobie guys... I fish very shallow water and see post about "half-Kick" or "feather" the propulsion fins when in shallow water and get that as an option, not sure how shallow you would be in but what happens and/or how to you use the rudder on the PA/Compass that also extends down from the hull.. I assume in the forward direction perhaps it kicks up but what happens if you drift or need to go backwards and the rudder hits bottom ?

Hobie for sure leads the market in pedal kayaks, and the company has been around for an eternity in the water sports area.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    You also have the ability to raise the rudder with a pull cord right beside you. It is trick. I was also able to flutter kick or half kick as you said, that was great too. To me the compass is the way to go, me being a total rookie. So the stability is paramount. Plus like I mentioned you can accessorize it for less than you can buy an Outback. With that being said you do give up the front storage compartment but being empty is what brings the price down. So if you are one who is into carrying a bunch of stuff, this yak might not be for you. I will say again, I was very impressed with the stability as a complete rookie, and felt completely safe in this yak. To switch to reverse in shallow water you just spread the peddles a little bit and then switch to reverse. You just have to get the fins down just a bit off the bottom of the craft for it to switch. He had me do that as well yesterday, piece of cake. The only draw back I see is it takes a few seconds to make it all happen, it is not instant like the other peddle drives with propellers. Krash, I can tell you Old Town Predator PDL is more than giving them a run for their money though.

jcanracer wrote: »
    Nice! I'm looking to add a Compass to my fleet too, for the same reasons you listed: stability, versatility and price.

For offshore I would not hesitate one bit in this boat!

On the Compass, if the rudder makes contact during forward motion, I think its supposed to flip up. On an Outback or other mid-sized Hobie, with the stock rudder you'll have sufficient clearance to do the half kick pedaling. I think I've gone in water as shallow as one foot, and I have the larger "sailing" rudder.
    But to be honest, at such shallow depths, you have 3 options:
    - pull the drive, flip up the rudder, and paddle,
    - pull the drive, flip up the rudder, stand and use a pushpole,
    - pull the drive, flip up the rudder and walk the kayak over the obstacle.

In any case, if you've beached yourself already, the resolution is to use the paddle and push back/forward into wherever the deeper water is and flip up the rudder.
    For offshore I would not hesitate one bit in this boat!
    There's a demo day this weekend in my area, I'm going to try and test it out.

Good deal, now let me know afterward what you think.

Regardless of what you end up with Spineyman, you did it the right way and minimized errors. You're going to have a blast. Post some pics !
    On the Compass, if the rudder makes contact during forward motion, I think its supposed to flip up. On an Outback or other mid-sized Hobie, with the stock rudder you'll have sufficient clearance to do the half kick pedaling. I think I've gone in water as shallow as one foot, and I have the larger "sailing" rudder.
    But to be honest, at such shallow depths, you have 3 options:
    - pull the drive, flip up the rudder, and paddle,
    - pull the drive, flip up the rudder, stand and use a pushpole,
    - pull the drive, flip up the rudder and walk the kayak over the obstacle.

In any case, if you've beached yourself already, the resolution is to use the paddle and push back/forward into wherever the deeper water is and flip up the rudder.

THX... I see people with pedal kayaks out on the flats where I fish but most stay a 100 or so yards further out in deeper water, so for me it would be mostly drive up, rudder up and paddle or pole... my canoe floats in spit, carries a ton of stuff, and has plenty of room.The kayak works well and makes as good a time and distance when needed but mostly fishing time is spent with the rudder up and out of the way, the SUP drags bottom due to the necessity of having a fin/keel/skeg even with my custom 2" fin. For standing, poling, and sight fishing I like the SUP the best even though I have to watch for hard objects in 6"of water, but in any wind its a real PITA.

Well, did you make the demo, and if so what do you think of the Compass? DCR, I will indeed post up some pictures when I can!

• j102j102 Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Interesting thread with a lot of good information.
    Let us know which Kayak you guys buy. Please post pictures and good luck!
    I will say I know 3 people who fish all the time out of the Old Town Predator PDL , and absolutely love and swear by them. They say the instant reverse for helping get stubborn fish away from docks is why they would not part with theirs. I also loved the Hobie Compass both in stability and quietness. But you do not have instant reverse . First you must put your feet together and then manually pul a lever to switch to reverse. It does take a few seconds. The PDL is also pretty noisy to me, but my buddies slay the trout and reds when they go. Do not sure if that is such a big factor. The Compass will work in shallower water because the PDL has to be tilted up once it bottoms out. The Hobie 180 drive works with partial stutter steps, whereas you would have to paddle or use a push pole in the PDL. Either way I don’t see how you could go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spineyman, I missed the demo day and it looks like I might delay my Compass purchase until the new year, but that's ok since I still have my Revo13 as my primary kayak.
    Spineyman, I missed the demo day and it looks like I might delay my Compass purchase until the new year, but that's ok since I still have my Revo13 as my primary kayak.

It is very impressive to me, but hey it's all good. I do have a chance to pick up a 1 year old Revo 13 for a grand, but it rocks too much for me. I want to be able to stand and stretch when need be. I met a couple while I was wade fishing just this past Thursday that have 4 kayaks. Two each, and she is selling her Revo 13 to get a more stable kayak. He has a PA and an Outback, he said he loves his Outback because of weight as compared to the PA. They are probably in their 30' and I waded up to them , me with waders on and they in waste deep water that is 60' ish degrees without waders. I did catch a 28 inch red right in front of them on top water and they were extremely excited to see the blow up. They said they have never fished top water but will start now. That is what keeps me going back for more. Monster blowups on top water, gets the old heart pumping. I also told them what top water lure I was throwing and showed them what it looked like and exactly where to get it.

Oh you can stand in a Revo, but the conversation usually starts with "Here, hold my beer..."

attachment.php?attachmentid=245074&d=1505332754
    I would not confuse rocking with the waves, or leaning, with stability.

Stability is what happens when you go to far and how far is to far. The old school ScupperPro I had rocked with waves and wakes or when you leaned over the side, but like my canoe you could lean to a point where its secondary stability was compromised, but up to that point its still stable even when you are balanced on the rail. Its a matter of keeping your upper body centered.

Here's an example of a guy standing in his Tarpon 120, there is another one I've seen around with a guy standing and fly fishing from a tarpon 140.
    Got the opportunity to fish out of an Old Town Predator PDL yesterday evening. It is as stable as I have seen so far. At no time did I feel like I was going in the drink. Did get some boat wakes from the side and no problem. It is one solid ride and we covered over a mile without exerting much energy in the process. The drive is awesome too, very easy to pedal. The pedals going all the way around puts zero stress on your knees. I even got the chance to load and unload the yak from a home made trailer, and it went without a hitch. I am most likely going to get that kayak. The guy I was with was standing at will and turning around to cast, so with just a little time in the boat I will also feel comfortable to stand up when needed. I do know if anyone is interested in a pedal kayak they need to seriously give this one a shot and try it out.

Got the opportunity to fish out of an Old Town Predator PDL yesterday evening. It is as stable as I have seen so far. At no time did I feel like I was going in the drink. Did get some boat wakes from the side and no problem. It is one solid ride and we covered over a mile without exerting much energy in the process. The drive is awesome too, very easy to pedal. The pedals going all the way around puts zero stress on your knees. I even got the chance to load and unload the yak from a home made trailer, and it went without a hitch. I am most likely going to get that kayak. The guy I was with was standing at will and turning around to cast, so with just a little time in the boat I will also feel comfortable to stand up when needed. I do know if anyone is interested in a pedal kayak they need to seriously give this one a shot and try it out.

See, that's why a demo is important! At the end of the day, these companies are not paying you to pedal/paddle their craft unless you are sponsored, so choose whatever you are most comfortable in.
    BTW, what did they say about the shallow water operation?
    See, that's why a demo is important! At the end of the day, these companies are not paying you to pedal/paddle their craft unless you are sponsored, so choose whatever you are most comfortable in.
    BTW, what did they say about the shallow water operation?

They said you are good to about a foot of water over sand and a little deeper for insurance over rocky bottom, oyster beds and so on. The drive then tilts up out of the way and you push pole or paddle it. Now I have to find a reasonable and usable paddle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    https://www.wenonah.com/Canoe-Design.aspx

Check out this page. It discusses initial stability, final stability and hull design. It is for canoes but the design plays out in kayaks as well. Krash talked about it in his post. Basically rounder the bottom the initial stability feels tippy and rocks but is actually more stable the farther you lean and in waves. Flat bottom has high initial stability which means it feels stable, but in waves and leaning it is actually much more tippy. The trick with a rounder bottom and less initial stability is to have confidence in the hull and to move your body with the boat and waves. Test rides are great, but also knowing the difference between a boat that may FEEL tippy versus a boat that IS tippy.

This site talks about these principles in kayak hulls.
    http://www.austinkayak.com/blog/2012/08/a-look-at-kayak-hull-designs/

Way too much info for any sane person (non engineer) to digest.
    https://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/information/kayak_design/kayak_stability
    Does anyone know if there is a website to buy good quality used accessories, such as paddles, stakeout poles etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get a lot of stuff from Austin Kayak
    www.AustinKayak.com
    dcr wrote: »
    I get a lot of stuff from Austin Kayak
    www.AustinKayak.com

Thanks, I will check them out!