Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Wildlife Corn---Deer, Turkeys

Have over 200 50lb bags of Florida Cracker Cow corn that's not good enough quality for my grits/cornmeal milling operation. See my ad under General Commercial down below if interested.

Replies

• BodineBodine Posts: 3,080 Captain
    What is the shelf life? I dont start feeding until mid Dec, will the weevils take over before then?
    F the feds
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,937 AG
    I'll take some if Jeff doesn't want it all.

Question on weevils- How do they get in a sealed container?
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    If the shelf life is long enough, I would only need 20-25 bags.
    Here ya go Tommy,
    How Weevils Get in Your Food

Similar to other pantry pests, granary and rice weevils will infest and feed on whole grains and rice as well as nuts, beans, cereals, seeds, corn, and other such foods.

But unlike beetles that live and feed on foods, these weevils actually live and feed inside the food:

The female chews a hole into a seed or grain kernel and deposits an egg inside.
    The female weevil then seals up the opening, leaving the egg inside.
    When the egg hatches (inside the grain/seed), the larva feeds on the meat inside until it is fully grown.
    Once fully grown, the adult weevil eats its way out of the grain/seed.
    Because the females emit pheromones, male weevils will be waiting outside the hole for her to emerge, and will immediately seek to bond with her to reproduce.
    F the feds
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Corn cannot be grown in Florida without having some weevils in it. This is my 3rd and last attempt to do so! These bugs are present here in our environment, and will come with any corn that you grow. You cannot let corn dry here in the field without incurring some of these **** bugs!

There are some weevils in this corn that I have, but its not heavily infested by any means, and I've probably killed 99% of what is present by having the corn in my refrigerated space cooled to 50-55 degrees for the past 3-4 weeks. But, and this is a B-I-G But, with my grits operation I will not permit ANY insect to be in what I merchandise. A few -- a very few -- will slip by, but my grits/cornmeal will have less foreign debris in it than any commercial brand that you buy. (If you knew the percentage of insects/larvae/rat/mouse excreetment, etc, permitted by the govt. in commercial foods, you'd start growing your own!)

I need to get this corn out and gone as soon as possible. We'll start combining my corn from up home in the mountains the last week of this month. I need the refrigerated storage space. The corn that I grow-or help grow-from up home is totally insect and disease free.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    I'll take 10 if you're going to separate.
    Ten bags are here for you, but I don't get what you mean by "separate"? But if you want 'em please come get the 10 (or more) as soon as you can.

Tommy----its here. I need the floor space.
    Ten bags are here for you, but I don't get what you mean by "separate"? But if you want 'em please come get the 10 (or more) as soon as you can.

Meaning if you were trying to seek the whole bunch in bulk, or would separate and sell per bag. Can you pm me your phone number and address?
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    People just don't know.
    Research chocolate.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    hooknreds, sent you a pm as requested, but not sure my pm's are going out OK. Let me know if it doesn't come through.
    Nice meeting you yesterday Mr Rich. I've given your number to a couple of guys who will be calling for some corn.
    Thanks a million for passing the word on down the line, and for coming by to get your corn!

Got at least 180 50lb bags left, and need to get it out and gone as soon as I can---we'll be combining my corn up home on the North Carolina line the last week of this month, and I need the space!

So micci-man and everybody else----PLEASE HURRY!
  • beerfishbeerfish Posts: 239 Deckhand
    How much for 10 bags?
    beerfish---private message sent. Don't want to get 30 days in the electric chair for conducting business here on the Forum :hairraiser
    Gave your number to another buddy of mine yesterday. You still have plenty or have you gotten rid of it all?
    I still have plenty!
    I'm in Jacksonville till Friday, pm me your #, will try to get by there this weekend.
    Post a report with pics :fishing
    F the feds
    Hey Woods, did you get rid of all that corn?
    Sold it all about 2 weeks ago! Thanks for your interest!
    Good to hear you sold it :thumbsup
    F the feds
    Yessir, time for me to buy more and wanted to check with you first.