Home Fly Fishing

Bonefish flies

mjkirshnermjkirshner Posts: 2 Greenhorn
I've been tying shrimp patterns using Fish Skull tails instead of bead chain or dumbbell eyes.

Replies

• mro1mro1 Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Those look kinda neat. Do the impart any action when stripped?

Mike
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 655 Officer
    Those are great-looking flies. I bet they catch bonefish wonderfully-well. I think the weighted tail is a nice touch, but probably not worth the cost.

In the end, fishing lures are made and designed to catch fishermen, not fish. Each is marketed as the newest,
    fishiest-looking, fishiest-catching thing ever developed. Few prove to be so. In the end, many of the most-successful flies and lures ever developed aren't really that fishy-looking. A bucktail jig, a brass spoon, an Illander, or a Clouser or Crazy Charlie or Gotcha ... none of them are very realistic. All catch fish.

There is a fundamental difference between saltwater and trout fishing. A trout sits behind a rock, and inspects things going by to see if they look and act like things he eats. He looks and inspects all day long. It is important in trout fishing to make things that look perfectly like what he wants to eat.

Saltwater fish are more dynamic. They and/or their bait are mainly on the move. It is a swift, brutal, competative world. Decisions about striking have to be made instantly, or nearly-so. Because of this, it is more important that a saltwater lure or fly acts fishy, more than looks fishy.

It is fun to design and tie flies that look more and more exactly like the fish's natural bait. It is even fun to buy products (rattles, lures,
    epoxies, rubber legs, heads, tails, etc) that make our flies look and behave and sound (and smell?) even better.

In the end, I'm not sure that the fishiest LOOKING flies catch bonefish. It is the ones presented the best, in the right spot, with the right action that get the job done.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

It is the ones presented the best

That is the most important criteria to getting more strikes fly fishing.
    Second is the retrieve.
    Third is the “fly”.

As for cost???
    $5.95 for 20 size small (.30 ea) “large” size qty 15 (.40) ea
    Will they generate more strikes?
    Probably not, but the way mjkirshner has them mounted on the hook reminds me of the bill on a Rapala so I asked if it did anything about the flys action.
    A little side to side wobble would be cool. That being said I tried out the plastic bill I got at a fly fishing show back in the 90's and tied up a couple. All the rest that came in the package are still in the package. :shrug

Mike
    You are probably right about worrying about cost.
    It costs me about $1000 a day to fish for permit.
    The flies are probably $15 a piece.
    If you offered me a fly that cost $200 but would guarantee me a hook-up ... I would buy it in a second.

Mark

If you offered me a fly that cost $200 but would guarantee me a hook-up ... I would buy it in a second.

:) Well I've got the fly........................but it can't guarantee you can cast. :)

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Mike

PS
    If Florida had a few decent mountains I never would have left
    Casting badly is certainly one of the many reasons I have never caught a permit.
    Almost a different reason with every fish/chance.
    But, I'll get it right one to these times ..
    Mark

I’d be surprised if you don’t rival or surpass my casting Mark.
    I joined the forum because I’ve been having an internal debate about moving back to Florida.
    Your posts and pictures have been on the plus side.
    Being able to be on the water in minuets is something I’m just plain envious of.

While there still is some wonderful fly fishing out here on the left coast...
    Sight fishing in Florida just can not be beat anywhere in the USA.

I just need to overcome leaving my daughters and the mountains which I may not be able to bring myself to do.

Mike
  • HookIHookI Posts: 107 Deckhand
    mro1 wrote: »
    I’d be surprised if you don’t rival or surpass my casting Mark.
    I joined the forum because I’ve been having an internal debate about moving back to Florida.
    Your posts and pictures have been on the plus side.
    Being able to be on the water in minuets is something I’m just plain envious of.

While there still is some wonderful fly fishing out here on the left coast...
    Sight fishing in Florida just can not be beat anywhere in the USA.

I just need to overcome leaving my daughters and the mountains which I may not be able to bring myself to do.

Mike

and the mountains which I may not be able to bring myself to do

been fishing saltwater from Canada to South America for over 50 years , this is my 3rd year fly fishing the Catskills Mts of NY for Rainbow , Brown Trout , Ct. = Broodstock Salmon , I would have to tell you its a fantastic hunt very much a challenge , scenery is beautiful , There are Trout streams almost everywhere in the USA not sure where you are but you can trade your saltwater stick for a 3 w or 4w because these fish can tight the line w/ any species . good luck to you
    HookI wrote: »
    and the mountains which I may not be able to bring myself to do

been fishing saltwater from Canada to South America for over 50 years , this is my 3rd year fly fishing the Catskills Mts of NY for Rainbow , Brown Trout , Ct. = Broodstock Salmon , I would have to tell you its a fantastic hunt very much a challenge , scenery is beautiful , There are Trout streams almost everywhere in the USA not sure where you are but you can trade your saltwater stick for a 3 w or 4w because these fish can tight the line w/ any species . good luck to you

just to add I have taken 89 saltwater species & the Brook Trout game is the hardest sight hunt you can imagine
    mjkirshner wrote: »
    I've been tying shrimp patterns using Fish Skull tails instead of bead chain or dumbbell eyes.

great Tye thanks for sharing Post up some catches when you do