My two tarpon on fly.

Dardude6Dardude6 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
Two tarpon I have caught on fly during the summer. I have spent a lot of time targeting these fish and most of the times they show you who's in charge the one with the wall in the background was caught on an EP fly I **** up. The tarpon with the tree was caught on a white DT with a chartruese head. So far I am 3/13. I definitely think being able to use unweighted flies while flyfishing helps tremendously in the way tarpon can't shake it easier. Usually while spinfishing they toss the jigheads I use on my swimbaits with ease. I don't have many measurements but the tarpon with the wall was 21 inches. I'd be interested to hear what people's estimates on weight is. Both of these tarpon were in freshwater.

Replies

• Dardude6Dardude6 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Well the attachments are all a mess. There is also a decent snook I caught on an EP a little bit ago.
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 435 Deckhand

Nice fish.
    Every tarpon is a good tarpon. They weigh ... "tarpon."
    I'd say those are about 5 pounds. Baby tarpon are slender.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 637 Officer
    Very nice, that Snook is a good one. Great job!!!

:thumbsup
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,564 Captain
    Very nice! Nothing like catching them on your creations.
    A local tarpon ( smaller ditch & backwater tarpon ) expert John Mallory said that when he switched to the Owner Mosquito hooks his catch ratio went way up. Not real strong hooks and you can't put a ton of pressure on them but the slender point does stick'm.
    Thanks to everyone and thanks for the Mosquito hook advice. Often getting a bite is a struggle lol. I usually use 40lb leader and for some reason I do not get bit by tarpon while I use 25lb. I should stick with 25lb but those big snook will chew through it like cake! I spinfish a decent amount too but I find tarpon throw the weight of the lures I use too easily. I had a decent tarpon over 10lbs toss out my jighead on the third jump just recently. Hook placement seemed buttoned right in the top of the mouth but that's tarpon.
  • HambweldHambweld Posts: 218 Deckhand
    Yes that's just tarpon. Little things make a big difference with ****. I second the owner hooks for juvi ****. Good job and keep it up!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 687 Officer
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Posts: 1,011 Officer
    Great pics!!
    Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    Ankona Boats Sales Rep
    2018 Tavernier 17.....Coming Soon!!
    www.shadowcastcharters.com
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    Dardude I rotated your last picture for you.
    a.jpg 86.7K
  • Capt.JSuLCapt.JSuL Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Nice!
    Capt. Jason Sullivan
    www.RisingTideCharters.com
    (954)864-0592
    Thanks everyone I appreciate it.
  • Flat NutsFlat Nuts Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Way to be!!!

Very nice!