Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

LWI 11/1/17 – Flight Risk – Mahi, cudas, tuna, sail sightings

After a few early morning text messages, Big Bill (Flight Risk) & I threw some things together, last minute style, & headed for the boat ramp with his shiny yellow center console.

A school of jacks was marauding bait schools near the ramps when I got there. The small sardines & greenies were running from the jacks so hard that many of them beached themselves. I grabbed a bucket & picked up my first few dozen livies by hand. Once we got the boat in the water, I threw the net once & completed the task of blacking out the live well. Unfortunately, all the baits were on the small side. I don’t think that many were over 3” & I’m pretty sure that none were 4”.

We ran out of the inlet, then stopped off at a nearby spot where I sometimes get runners. I threw a sabiki & a small bucktail a few times. The third throw of the bucktail hooked up, but it was not to last. Almost immediately, I got bit off…above the 7” wire leader.

OK, out comes the planer spoon on cable. Several passes with that, produced only a lizard fish & a runner, so we headed for greener pastures. We trolled SE. Eventually, we came upon some bait busting on the surface. I got up as high as I could on the boat to see what was going on. There were schools of sardines & schools of ballyhoo. There were also a couple of sailfish swimming around, just below the surface. A live pilchard was the first thing to hit the water with a hook in it, but at barely 3”, it seemed like a paltry offering. We rigged the runner & threw him in on a 6/0 Demon Perfect Circle hook with mono, thinking that was the right tool for the job. Almost as soon as the runner hit the water, he got inhaled…by a big cuda. That was bite off #2 for the day.

We took off out of that area & headed out deeper. We found a weed line around 650. As soon as we turned parallel with it, we hooked up with a keeper dolphin. We contemplated leaving her in the water to attract friends, but we had already dragged her several hundred yards from where she bit & we figured that one in the hand was worth 10 in the bush, so she went straight to the ice bath. Two other boats were already working that weed line, so shortly after that, we decided to push further offshore, in search of still greener pastures.

We found scattered clumps between 800 & 1150. There were some weak lines out there, but nothing that was as strong & well defined as the weed line that we had seen in 650. We decided to head back in closer to shore. Somewhere between going out past 700 & coming back, we picked up a skippy, a short mahi & a football. We also had a few pulled hooks.

Fliers were widely distributed today, but not really thick in any one place. They were mildly concentrated around some of the weed patches.

Today’s big winners were squid teasers & ballyhoo, which surprised me a little. Lately bally have been getting ignored & other things have been getting hit instead. Today Bally was the favorite above all others. If I had known that was going to be the case, I would have brought more than 3 of them.

One minor hassle that I ran into first thing this morning was at the bulk ice machine behind Good Will... It only takes quarters now & it has no bags.

It was a beautiful day out on the water & we did come in with dinner on ice. You can’t ask for a whole lot more than that.

Replies