LWI 10/14/17 - Mahi, the hard way

I'm going to start this one off by saying that Vikki (Torri's Toy) is about the most dedicated Fisherman/fisherwoman that I have ever met. Today, she went overboard with a rod in her hand, & still managed to land that fish. THAT is dedication.

Just to add a degree of difficulty to the mix, we did it on a little daysailor type sailboat that didn't have a motor, a fish finder, or even a battery to run a fishfinder on board. It was truly a bare bones expedition.

We broke the inlet this morning, probably a little before 9:00. We found that NOAA had exaggerated the forecast a bit, as they have been known to do from time to time. Eastish wind was probably 10-15ish, but the sea state really didn't look a whole lot higher than 2', no matter where we went.

We trolled SE out of the inlet & made surprisingly good time down past the Breakers. Being as we were only in a silly little day sailor, we turned around & headed back up closer to the inlet when we got close to Trump's place. A little while later, the uprigger gets knocked down, then the long line gets hit. I drove the boat while Vikki started working the reel on the long line. Unfortunately, the two lines tangled. As I tried to straighten out the mess, one thing led to another & the tiny little potato chip of a boat heeled up on a steep angle & Vikki ended up in the drink. OK, I drop the other rod, strike the jib, get the boat in single handed trim & pull a U turn. Then I spot Vikki, in a life jacket, with the rod tip up high, still reeling. I couldn't believe it. I got the boat along side of her & luffed up. She tossed the rod in (with the fish still on). I pulled her up into the boat. She grabbed the rod again & went back to reeling. A few minutes later, I saw green in the water & we both smiled. We got that fish in the boat & headed back to the inlet. We were back at the docks before 1:00.

It wasn't the biggest mahi that either of us had ever caught, but it was the most well earned catch that I have seen in a long time. Our fish to fuel ratio was real good too.

I had a ball out there. It was fun.

Replies

• dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Hilarious, lots of blowboating terms in there I’m not down with but a great read, thanks
  • Bout TimeBout Time Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    dpdash wrote: »
    Hilarious, lots of blowboating terms in there I’m not down with but a great read, thanks

X2
  • Tori'S ToyTori'S Toy Posts: 273 Deckhand
    Wouldn't have been my first choice way to catch a fish, but it worked. Turned out to be a most adventurous day. One that has quite a story. It was good to see that the automatic life jacket worked. Kept head above waves. Now I know why it has the leg straps on it.they did their job holding the vest down and in place. Didn't plan on going in the drink but glad I was prepared for the "just in case".
    attachment.php?attachmentid=230307&d=1483582365
  • lunkermanlunkerman Posts: 147 Deckhand
    Tori'S Toy wrote: »
    Wouldn't have been my first choice way to catch a fish, but it worked. Turned out to be a most adventurous day. One that has quite a story. It was good to see that the automatic life jacket worked. Kept head above waves. Now I know why it has the leg straps on it.they did their job holding the vest down and in place. Didn't plan on going in the drink but glad I was prepared for the "just in case".

You're a wild one girl! Love to see your posts or posts with you involved because it seems to me you just plain love to get out and fish. Its nice to see someone doing it not for pride, or to best anyone else, or because they have to. Keep on fishing and stay safe out there.
    Capt. Joe Ferranti. Lunker-Man Fishing Adventures llc.
    18' Sailfish 188CC, Yamaha F115, Motorguide Xi5 w/pinpoint gps

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,473 Captain
    Vikki you're my hero!
    Catch'M'Up! :grin

Pura Vida!
  • R DaysR Days Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    That is a story for the ages. Glad it all worked out for the best.
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    I think that Vikki needs a new tag line. It should read:
    "**** the torpedoes. I'm catching fish". :grin
    LOL.. Too much
  • LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Jim you and Vikki make a great team! I wish I could get as much ambition as you have!!!! Great luck my friend.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. :dog :dog LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    Bo, it's good to hear from you.
    I miss seeing you out on the water.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,473 Captain
    JIMinPB wrote: »
    Bo, it's good to hear from you.
    I miss seeing you out on the water.

X-2 !!!

Pura Vida!
  • rgambotzrgambotz Posts: 224 Deckhand
    Vikki is the BOMB! Love those days that you can talk about and smile every time the trip is brought up. Great day!
  • johnalkijohnalki Posts: 508 Officer
    AMAZINGGGGGGG:fishing
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 717 Officer
    what is that rig the fish bit, double squid skirt?

love the minimalist approach
    we need more internet money
    andrewthe1 wrote: »
    what is that rig the fish bit, double squid skirt?

love the minimalist approach

Think it had a pink feather and a couple 3 inch pink squids.