Learn me something!
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 360 Deckhand
    What is your budget?
    "He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"
    buckpic.jpg" tuna.jpg th_turkey1-1.jpg
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,997 Moderator
    Good question. I was eyeballing the $200 Masterbuilt 30" digital unit.

I'd go 3-4 times that IF it's a lifetime product. Not interested in dropping a bunch of extra coin for only modest cooking improvement and product lifespan.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,556 Captain
    I have a trager. I love it, easiest thing to use. I can actually socialize more during bbqs without having to tend to a smoker the whole time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I have a smoke hollow that I got at Home Depot on Father's Day sale for around $150. It has worked well but won't get much higher than 250 degrees. I usually don't smoke over 225 so haven't had any issues. Electric ones def require less time checking
  • TheSnookManTheSnookMan Posts: 430 Officer
    How much do you smoke meat? If you BBQ alot spend more $. I've had that smoker and every other type out there. That is a cheap smoker and I personally don't care for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    I use it every other weekend. Briskets, chicken, game hens, summer sausage, ribs etc. Have not had any issues and I don't smoke over 225. I've found a lot of it is brining, letting meat rest and can always wrap in foil ;)
  • DJWDJW Posts: 532 Officer
    30 inch Master built.
    Don't waste money on the one with the window.
    Bluetooth thermometer is nice accessory to have.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,234 Admiral
    Considering the great stuff you catch and shoot it would make sense to have more surface area in whatever you get and a easy option to alter heat from low smoke on up. Something with not just a stainless exterior but also bracing and internals that will hold up.

And remember that fancy functions such as auto feed of pellets and the like ultimately become maintenance issues. No brand recommendation as we go old school with a big one made from a air tank with offset firebox and then for the everyday stuff a big Weber.

Make our own charcoal too. Something that really kicks up the flavor.

Gas is easy but what about the "experience" of stoking the fire and watching it as the game goes on or as you piddle about checking on it now and then. Something about the whole doing of it that is lost if it's to easy.

Just my 2 cents worth.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    bswiv wrote: »
    Considering the great stuff you catch and shoot it would make sense to have more surface area in whatever you get and a easy option to alter heat from low smoke on up. Something with not just a stainless exterior but also bracing and internals that will hold up.

And remember that fancy functions such as auto feed of pellets and the like ultimately become maintenance issues. No brand recommendation as we go old school with a big one made from a air tank with offset firebox and then for the everyday stuff a big Weber.

Gas is easy but what about the "experience" of stoking the fire and watching it as the game goes on or as you piddle about checking on it now and then. Something about the whole doing of it that is lost if it's to easy.

Just my 2 cents worth.

LOL, check out the my post on this thread.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?249797-Smoke-Hollow-40-in-Digital-Electric-Smoker
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,133 Officer

Just my 2 cents worth.

Agreed! I enjoy the whole ritual of it!
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral

Just my 2 cents worth.

This post just made Aaron Franklin grin..
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • If_it_flies_it_diesIf_it_flies_it_dies Posts: 1,132 Officer
    I have the 30 inch electric mb and it's great. No need to spend more.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,997 Moderator

Just my 2 cents worth.

I completely understand the appeal of Production and tending to the smoker. I've done a lot of that over the years. Really looking for a set it and forget it electric guy that will make decent smoked eats. Chips in a chip pan definitely seems more my style than the pellet dispensing stuff, which like you said, I'm sure will break.

Anyway, I'll keep chewing on it. Idea of setting cut in smoker in am and dinner for pm on week day is what I'm really after. Even if it involves getting up early and/or coming home on lunch break.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 2,001 Captain
    flydown wrote: »
    This post just made Aaron Franklin grin..

Speaking of which, I think he's going to start making and marketing his own line of BBQ/smoke pits.
  • tunaducktunaduck Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    Bradley 6 rack digital! Best one out there.
  • doghunterdoghunter Posts: 411 Deckhand
    I built an electric smoker. It was easy, but I didn't feel I was getting the flavor out of it that I was looking for. I converted it to propane, and in my opinion, I get much better flavor. The olny extra step between electric and propane, is making sure you have fuel in the tank. All that being said. If you have the time, wood is where it's at. Nothing beats the flavor of meat cooked on wood.
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,515 Captain
    Had a big 6' tall smoker I ran on propane for years. Could load up 50# of meat sticks in it at a time. Always a tending to process with no thermostat as it starts off needing lots of heat to start to raise the temp but as you get closer to done it has to be scaled back or you will burn it quick.

Walked into Wal-Mart about this time last year and saw they had all the grills on clearance. Ended up picking up a Bradley 6 rack digital smoker for $150. That was hundreds off of normal price. It is the model with auto feed of wood pucks. While it is not going to be great for production work it has been used more often due to the ease of set and go back to working on other projects. My son has taken to using it quite a bit.

Like anything else, if it is easy to use it will get used more often.

Ask the people at Wal-Mart when they will dump the product. I moved a few of them last time.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    Big Mak wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I think he's going to start making and marketing his own line of BBQ/smoke pits.

Really wish you hadn't told me that. Guess I better start saving my pennies!~
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,515 Captain
    One side note. My brother is running wood chips instead of the pucks in his Bradley. It just pushes a little out every so often and he has had good results. Can not load it up high.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 306 Deckhand
    Having had both electric and gas I would go with a gas smoker that also works with charcoal that way if you want to nutz with the fire you can.