Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Windy day in the ditch...but got some dinner...Grouper Trolling

Had an opportunity to sneak out yesterday afternoon so went for it. Of course I misread the tide charts. For whatever reason I saw an outgoing tide and figured with north winds everything was going the same way but it was actually incoming so it was a little snotty but not too bad going down wind.

Water temp was between 76 and 78 degrees. Down at least 6 or 7 degrees from a week ago Monday....

Using #3 planers and a 3 oz jig with 8/0 hook and curly tail soft plastics. I have line counter reels which work fantastic for this and they are loaded with 30 lb power pro. The power pro is important to get the #3 planer down deeper. So 30# power pro to the planer then probably 30' of 50 or 60 lb mono to the jig. I normally fish the 40' depth on the edges of the channel.

Tide was incoming, wind was outgoing 15+ mph. Had to let out 140' of line to get to the bottom.

Grabbed my buddy Jack who hadn't really done much of this but wants to get into it.

So, we get set up and are trolling around 4.5-5 mph and one of the rods released...ie, the planer tripped. So I go to reset it and there is nothing there. Crap, the whole rig came off somehow. The line just broke, wasn't a bite, at least I didn't see a bite, the line must have had a nick in it or something.... Dig through my crap, no more planers. Jump on amazon.com and order some more but that isn't going to do me any good today. So, I throw a deep diving plug on and try that on the second pole.

For those of you that use the deep diving plugs more than me, what is the secret? I can't get them to stay down half the time. I have successfully used the same plug in 40' of water 6 miles out and got some monster gags but for whatever reason in the bay, they just always want to come to the surface.

Regardless, that wasn't working so I put that away and off we go with one rod in the water. I started out with a white tail on. After about 15 minutes, nada so I switched to a glow tail (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AU5U3OI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Then the fun began....

In the next probably 1.5 hours we hooked and landed 9 or 10 gags with two nice keepers. One came in at 24" and one at 28". Would have liked to fish a little more but the bite slowed and we had groceries so headed home....

Two trips in a row though where the bite has been excellent. Get out and get you some...


28" Slob...
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013


Sign In or Register to comment.