Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Anyone fishing Honeymoon island lately?

Going this weekend, fished it last weekend and just got a bunch of jacks from the pet beach. I want to get some snook from the pass between Honeymoon and caladesi. What other good spots on there are good for them (jetis?).

Replies

• permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,083 Officer
    SnookSlob1 wrote: »
    Going this weekend, fished it last weekend and just got a bunch of jacks from the pet beach. I want to get some snook from the pass between Honeymoon and caladesi. What other good spots on there are good for them (jetis?).

probably on the flats and moving back towards creeks and river. Redfishing and trout fishing was good last week. right now its jacks macks and ladyfish in the passes there
  • SnookSlob1SnookSlob1 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    permit_me wrote: »
    probably on the flats and moving back towards creeks and river. Redfishing and trout fishing was good last week. right now its jacks macks and ladyfish in the passes there

I guess I'll target some trout and reds, do you ever wade out on the intercostal side?
  • szarmanszarman Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I fish the area by boat, and the snook are/were (before we had a little cool front) on the beach, around the schools of whitebait. Its hard to get them to eat and the ones that do typically aren't big. Its not that big ones aren't there its just they have eaten so much they are picky about when they will eat again. The jetty's have had redfish around them. If I were going to fish from land, I would go down the osprey trail and fish pelican cove on a low tide. Just walk from pothole to pothole throwing a weedless jerkbait, that is on a 1/8oz weighted hook. Cast into the potholes and hop it along the bottom. There was a lot of surface grass last week, but if it has cleared up than throw a topwater early, then switch to the jerkbait. I have had more luck catching the snook in the potholes on the flats than the beach, but there was less of them. It might have changed this week and there could be more on the flats. Let us know what you find out.
  • humblerhumbler TampaPosts: 130 Deckhand
    szarman wrote: »
    If I were going to fish from land, I would go down the osprey trail and fish pelican cove on a low tide.

Long walk, mushy bottom in a lot of the cove, occasional rattlesnake, I would not go there, especially on a ripping low tide :wink