Home Conservation Forums

grunts as bait

bugsymbugsym Posts: 4 Greenhorn
I know that using reef fish as bait in gulf of Mexico is prohibited. Are white grunts considered reef fish in this regard?

Replies

• notreelynotreely Posts: 653 Officer
    I would have to double check to be positive but I don't think Grunts are part of the Gulf Reef Fish Fishery Management Plan. So using Grunts as bait in federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico would be legal.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    Grunts are good to go to use
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 176 Deckhand
    None of the grunts, including white grunts, are on the list of reef fish that cannot be used for bait in the GOM, so go ahead. The fish that seem to most often run anglers afoul of this law are beeliners (vermilion snapper) and lane snapper, both of which are prohibited as bait. I also saw a TV show where a well-known duo of local captains were catching undersized amberjack (which are considered reef fish) on a wreck and using them to target goliath grouper. That put them in violation of about three regulations, but I never heard whether anything came of it.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,859 AG
    I've mistaken a lane for a pinfish while in marathon. luckily i caught it before i used it and sent him on his way. Came back the next year and caught a nice legal one over 15" so figured that was karma doing me a solid
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality