Near shore macs, grunts and small gags.

xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,549 Captain
Took one of my grandsons and son in law fishing yesterday. Got a nice bunch of big grunts, a couple of triggerfish, and several under sized gags. Started off catching some blue runners and trying for kingfish but no luck there. Pics of a few of the fish we caught.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,252 Officer
    :thumbsup
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,646 Admiral
    Good day on the water catchin!
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 557 Officer
    :wink
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,904 Captain
    The first bait we used yesterday was a bluerunner and a king cut it in half. Then no more kings. It was like a drive by. Hit and run. None after that. Lot of bait everywhere, so they are on the move. Good day!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • one more driftone more drift Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Sounds like a fun day, good pics and report. What kind of shark is that do you know? I caught a black tip last week and was thinking about your report a couple weeks ago about you eating it, but didn't bring it in the boat just cut the leader by the hook and let it go, had a red fish in the cooler anyway but was tempted to bring it home and try it, also not up on size limits, types you can keep etc.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,549 Captain
    The easy way to think about keeping sharks in our area is...if it's not a bonnethead, Atlantic sharpnose, or a blacktip(all of which are easily identified) I can't keep it until it's over 54". Most guys wouldn't bring a shark over 54 inches in the boat, remembering that the tail is not included in the measurement. The anal fin on a blacktip doesn't have black on it and the pectoral fins are under the dorsal fin. Bleed them out good right after you catch them and remove all of the dark meat when cleaning. Dip your shark steaks in melted butter with fresh squeezed lemon juice, and baste while grilling on the BBQ. They are delicious and very much like wahoo or swordfish steaks. I'm not the only guy on here that enjoys eating them. Most just won't admit it. :)
    p.s. if the shark is big enough, cut it into cubes so that you can grill it on all sides. Be careful handling them. I've often had them swim along side the boat while disemboweled and bleeding out.

Here's a four foot and five foot black tip. 12" makes a heck of a difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ruff One wrote: »
    The first bait we used yesterday was a bluerunner and a king cut it in half. Then no more kings. It was like a drive by. Hit and run. None after that. Lot of bait everywhere, so they are on the move. Good day!

They are definitely exciting. We have been spending our first hour to hour and a half fishing for them, then move on to something else. Wish there were more of them for near-shore anglers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    we eat sharks when we catch em if they're legal to keep. I've always bled em, then iced down. And then i put in a ziploc bag with milk for an hour or two. I like to filet thin and fry like any other white fish. House Autrey seafood breader is my go to. They taste pretty good IMO.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SassaWhalerSassaWhaler Posts: 113 Deckhand
    Looks like a great day! :thumbsup
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,736 Moderator
    I need to get my boat wet soon.
    "You'll get your weather"
    Capt Louie you speak the truth. I wanted to go last weekend. Brought it home Friday, tried to fire her up....nope. Crank crank crank WIZZZZZ..... ****? Turns out I had a dead battery. so I charged it and cleaned all the connections. Then i get it barely running, look under the cowling (never a great idea) and one of the power packs plug wire came loose. not on the end that connects to the plug..... so off to the parts store for $110. Boat running good now, but i spent all my bait/fuel money lol!!!
  • Puddle Jumper1Puddle Jumper1 Banks of the Barge CanalPosts: 7 Greenhorn
    I love catching sharks, but there to many other fish that I love to eat so all of mine go free,,,
    PJ
    I love catching sharks, but there to many other fish that I love to eat so all of mine go free,,,
    PJ
    Almost all of the ones I catch are also released, but I enjoy black tip grilled and keep a couple each season. Having black tip and cobia steaks in the freezer helps get me through the winter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Almost all of the ones I catch are also released, but I enjoy black tip grilled and keep a couple each season. Having black tip and cobia steaks in the freezer helps get me through the winter.

Gonna get me a cobia one of these years!
    Gonna get me a cobia one of these years!
    I sure hope so. I have caught a few fishing the trout flats, dragging a lively pinfish or grunt underneath a float behind the boat. They are usually under sized but still fun to catch. Drifting the canal edges with good chum produces some larger fish. They usually travel in "packs" of three or more fish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]